What clockwork devices do you want to see?

Elystole

What clockwork devices do you want to see?

Post by Elystole »

I'm trying to conceptualize what an engineering skill would look like and the first step is to figure out what it makes. What clockwork devices would you want to buy and use? Why should some poor sap assemble dozens upon dozens of wind-up toys to master the skill?

What kind of things would you buy for fun? A few ideas off the top of my head: wind-up toys, clocks, pocket watches, music boxes, orreries.

What kind of things would you buy to make your life easier? Some more ideas: a hand/crank grinder (works like a mortar and pestle but uses less time/energy), rototiller (for the soil), astrolabe (navigation aid).

Anything else? Steam power would be limited, but you can do a lot with a crank and the proper gear ratios.
You overhear the following rumor:
"I saw one of those Shadgard folk come barging into Grif's and shoot one of the patrons on the spot. Shadgard must be a pretty rough place with such outlaws running rampant."
Drayla

Re: What clockwork devices do you want to see?

Post by Drayla »

Well, I would certainly buy a device that I could either install in a house or carry aroumd that I could dump various spices, fruits, vegetables, meats, and other ingredients, then simply turn a few dials, crank on a large handle, and viola, easy baking/cooking of any pie, stew, or spiced meat/fish you could hope for. Might be a little too far fetched, but it would help reduce a bit of the time it takes to prepare things, especially if you are just making one specific thing repetetively. And of course you would still be responsible for removing the dish from the heat, so if your cooking skill is low, you will still burn your food.
Elystole

Post by Elystole »

Hm... I don't see a way to turn mechanical energy (crank) into thermal energy (cooking). At least not efficiently. Now, I think something like a device to automatically turn spits, stir soups, or rotate pies would be possible. You'd still have to provide the thermal energy with a fire, but a clockwork device could take care of the more monotonous tasks by storing up your energy (the crank) then slowly releasing it in the manner you desire. And maybe a food processor for slicing?
"I saw one of those Shadgard folk come barging into Grif's and shoot one of the patrons on the spot. Shadgard must be a pretty rough place with such outlaws running rampant."
baerden

Post by baerden »

Sausage maker.

Um..

Spring loaded boots.

Robot legs instead of mounts. (use coal and water to power them lol)

Uh..

More sophisticated firearms, like a gattling pistol of some sort.
Drayla

Post by Drayla »

Elystole wrote:Hm... I don't see a way to turn mechanical energy (crank) into thermal energy (cooking). At least not efficiently. Now, I think something like a device to automatically turn spits, stir soups, or rotate pies would be possible. You'd still have to provide the thermal energy with a fire, but a clockwork device could take care of the more monotonous tasks by storing up your energy (the crank) then slowly releasing it in the manner you desire. And maybe a food processor for slicing?
Actually, I was thinking that this device could just prepare the food; the heat would be provided by an oven it was attached to or something.
Elystole

Post by Elystole »

baerden wrote:Sausage maker.
You could do a lot of things with a meat grinder. They don't even look complicated.

Spring loaded boots.
What are you hoping these would accomplish? Just curious.
I've been thinking about firearms too, but I see that as a separate issue. Right now I'm wondering about non-combat devices as that'd actually be the bigger part of an engineer's repertoire.
Drayla wrote:Actually, I was thinking that this device could just prepare the food; the heat would be provided by an oven it was attached to or something.
I misunderstood you then. I apologize. I think it'd be cool to have clockwork tools for as many professions as possible (hence the hand/crank grinder and the rototiller) to advance their craft or make it easier, but I'm not familiar enough with the various professions to know what they need. What are the various steps or tools you need to prepare a meal that a clockwork device might be able to automate it or take some time off of the roundtime?
Drayla

Post by Drayla »

Actually, cooking is pretty simple already, so probably wouldn't need a device to make it any easier.

What I WOULD like to have is a crossbow.
Kent

Post by Kent »

baerden wrote:Sausage maker.

Um..

Spring loaded boots.

Robot legs instead of mounts. (use coal and water to power them lol)

Uh..

Game already has a gattling pistol, silly.
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Elystole

Post by Elystole »

A couple more ideas that have come up:

A feeder for sawmills so that you don't slice your hand off (though I guess that is more of a sawmill upgrade).
A hand-drill for drilling the locks out of boxes. Use would degrade the device.
TwistedAkai

Post by TwistedAkai »

I wouldn't mind seeing a larger version of the bar cutter to make cutting large quantities of bars easier, or at least less tedious. Or maybe a more precise bar cutter to allow for figuring out the exact amount to cut off.
You also notice the corpse of a canim scavenger (x169).

Return to “General Professions”