Suggestions regarding Professions

Lun
CLOK Patron

Suggestions regarding Professions

Post by Lun »

For all your suggestive needs! *wink wink nudge nudge*

People were comparing how much riln was earned to relative risk of profession, so we kind of bickered over it before GM Zoiya stepped in and told us to move it to the BBS.

Right. Ideas time from me:

Farming: The addition of pests, weeds, and risk elements such as failed crops would be nice. Currently farming is the best gain for no risk, with the exception of "I forgot to water my crops so they dried up and died."

Logging: Tree regrowth time is extremely generous. We should lengthen the time so people are required to move around the wilderness more. We should also add raccoons and bears to the list of things that get angry when the forest is destroyed. Also, wild forest fires that occur during thunderstorms should provide more risk, as a logger has to question whether or not that is the right time to go logging.
Last edited by Lun on Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have nothing productive to say, therefore, I must be heard!
hadesfire

Post by hadesfire »

since Logging might be a bit overpowered with a steady, reliable, perfect income and the biggest danger is falling trees and easy to kill termites, perhaps have rotted trees that give nothing and maybe scale termites to the loggers fighting capabilities.
Mascond

Post by Mascond »

I think that either the other professions need to have dramatically higher prices, or round times and prices for Logging/Farming need to be lowered by at least half. With little or no skill-level and effort I can make far, far more per hour farming and logging than smithing/lapidary/mining. I made more money/time with 25 logging skill than with 600+ mining/lapid/smithing.

We're not talking about a small difference, we're talking two or three times more. Even with a private mine people rarely make decent money compared to a 20k wagonload of logs or a single corn/pumpkin run (both of which I've done.)

I don't think adding a couple extra hazards will balance the enormous price differences that are in play.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Yeah, we're aware that the mining-based professions are by far more complicated and tougher than the others. This is simply because they were the first to be heavily worked on and fleshed out, and it's not by design that the others are so comparatively easy.

The prices of wood were recently lowered, and we're looking at both logging and farming to bring them more in-line with a suitable effort/risk/reward ratio. So keep the suggestions coming, we appreciate them! I know there's another thread around here regarding farming and suggestions like weeds, pests, crop rotation, and so on.
The lore compels me!
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

Well, keep in mind there is a potential check on logging in the form of Commune. Udemi (and anyone else with druidry) will occasionally get messages from areas that feel threatened, it's just that there's so few druids around (especially since I'm taking a little break from Kian).

Otherwise, it'd be nice if there was more of a reason to want to mine even as a non-trader. Perhaps in the form of rare vein spawns that don't normally appear in non-private mines, such as finding a small amount of iron in the Shadgard mines (again rare, but a nice treat for someone who wants to make money off of mining).

In terms of something like logging, it'd be easy to include things like bee and hornet nests in trees. Or in particularly large trees (as it's been said trees are supposed to be different sizes now, perhaps there's a chance for a hawk or some bird of prey to nest there. Something that does a lot of damage quickly, but dies easily (this would be a nice... Surprise for people that log on a trigger while AFK).

Introduce quality to logs. Surely someone who's been felling trees for years and years can make better cuts on flitches than someone who just wanders into the forest with an axe. And can pick out trees that have less knots or burls, or could even skillfully cut it away. With this, you could lower the prices of basic logs and flitches, but give people a bonus for sticking with it. Good to make a bit of starting cash for basics, but not so great that someone with 50 logging is bringing in thousands of riln every few hours.

Maybe reduce the round time in sawing, as well. This would promote more carpentry, as a flitch is mostly useless but a plank is VERY useful. It would also diversify the market, since there's half a dozen or so different kinds of cuts on planks.

Also, I posted an idea on the Druidry forums (I believe), but I'll repost it here, summarised. Basically, a faction system for Gaea in which causing too many of the Commune Distress calls makes it so that any time you enter an area, the area puts out a warning. Maybe even make it to the point where if you cause even MORE past that point, then eventually hostile wildlife might start to spawn. Again, this would help to balance out logging a bit by adding more of a risk for deforesting the same area continually.
Last edited by KianTheArcher on Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate

Return to “General Professions”