Armor and Weapons effecting Channeling

Nootau

Armor and Weapons effecting Channeling

Post by Nootau »

I know that iron and its altered forms cause alchemical damage to nether creatures, I would like to know: 'Does the type of metal armor you wear and the type of metal the weapon you wield effect your ability to channel?'

I ask as I think it would be interesting or have iron or sun-steel effecting how well someone channels sorcery as it is anathema to nether creatures.
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
~The Apprentice of the Elements
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

It doesn't mechanically yet, though in some parts of documentation it's mentioned that nether-users avoid ferrous materials because it negatively effects their sorcery (check the Rhuidim fashion section). One of the many things on the to-do list.
The lore compels me!
Makkah

Post by Makkah »

affect
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

You know what, Makkah? Why don't you join the SPELLING NAZI GUILD?

Dang it.
The lore compels me!
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

[quote=Rias]You know what, Makkah? Why don't you join the SPELLING NAZI GUILD?

Dang it.[/quote]

Is this a new guild? If so, can I switch Acarin over. Also, a few ability suggestions:

Humiliate
Removes any pride based status

Correct
Sends opponents into a berserker rage

Alphabetize
Alphabetizes the contents of any container
20:21:01 [CHAT - (a mysterious GM)]: With obvious effort, Zuki pries up a thick scale over a drakolin's chest! Zuki spearhand-strikes the soft, unprotected area under the scale! Heart ruptured, death follows immediately. A drakolin lets out a final bellow of rage and falls lifeless to the ground.
Rithiel

Post by Rithiel »

That's not exactly a spelling correction, though. I'd say it's more a rules of grammar correction, similar to it's and its.
A cheerful jingle intones, "Rithenschmirtz Evil Incorporateeeed!"
[OOC - Candy Mountain, Spearhead]: usually when they're snarky, it's Rithiel
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

[quote=Rithiel]That's not exactly a spelling correction, though. I'd say it's more a rules of grammar correction, similar to it's and its.[/quote]

Luckily the spelling nazi guild gets along well with the grammar fascist guild.
20:21:01 [CHAT - (a mysterious GM)]: With obvious effort, Zuki pries up a thick scale over a drakolin's chest! Zuki spearhand-strikes the soft, unprotected area under the scale! Heart ruptured, death follows immediately. A drakolin lets out a final bellow of rage and falls lifeless to the ground.
Vertebrate

Re: Armor and Weapons effecting Channeling

Post by Vertebrate »

So, I don't think the ferrous metals thingy has been implemented yet, but I have a similar question. So if the various metals currently don't affect channeling variously-- does the location, weight, aggregate, or construction or... well, anything else affect channeling variously?

Location: Does a pair of gauntlets have the same detriment to channeling as a breastplate?
Weight: Does the weight of the metal armor matter in how fast you fail your channeling?
Aggregate: It does seem to fail channeling much faster the more armor pieces you're wearing. I wonder what the mechanic is? I suppose it is the same mechanic as for any other skill affected by armor; every time you try to do something while wearing armor you have to pass your skill check and this one particular skill failure also gives you a big red message "Due to the interference of your armor, you are unable to maintain your channel."
Construction: Does studded or chain or scale-on-leather etc. have a varying effect?
Randomness: I noticed that the timing for failure is a little random. Do increased skills help lower the odds at all?
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

Vertebrate wrote: Randomness: I noticed that the timing for failure is a little random. Do increased skills help lower the odds at all?
Randomness: Luck and how long you can force it through before the nether which the metal hasn't deterred is used up?
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

I don't know if location of armor alters any of the channeling, but heavier armor makes channeling harder, and wearing more of it makes it harder as well. As for randomness, I don't believe that there's any skill that helps with channeling penalties in armor (though Templar get an ability that helps), but it's likely that (and this is just pure conjecture) there's a check against a target number every second you channel. SO it isn't you randomly dropping channel, but rather sometimes you 'pass' the check, and other times you fail it immediately.
“There is always a choice."
"You mean I could choose certain death?"
"A choice nevertheless, or perhaps an alternative. You see I believe in freedom. Not many people do, although they will of course protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.”
xavier

Post by xavier »

as per my observations which may or may not be accurate.
Every second you are currently channeling and wearing any armor the game rolls your armor use skill for each piece of armor you are wearing, if any roll is unsuccessful you lose your connection. Templars do have an ability that improves the chances of this roll but still have this roll ongoing and thus can still lose their connection as well. so to answer your question specifically. it is not random except in the roll generator, placement of armor does not make a difference, type of armor does make a difference, accumulative pieces of armor does give more opportunities to fail and thus lose your connection.
Rain falls steadily to the earth.
The gore has been washed from you.
The blood has been washed from you.
You are splattered with gore!
You

Post by You »

I think 'tick' is a better word than 'second'. I doubt the MUD ticks every second, though I suppose it is possible.
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

the game rolls your armor use skill for each piece of armor you are wearing
Could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that increasing your armor use skill does not help with channeling.
I think 'tick' is a better word than 'second'. I doubt the MUD ticks every second, though I suppose it is possible.
Also, from my understanding whenever you channel, you have skill checks going every second you hold open a channel.
“There is always a choice."
"You mean I could choose certain death?"
"A choice nevertheless, or perhaps an alternative. You see I believe in freedom. Not many people do, although they will of course protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.”
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Location: Does a pair of gauntlets have the same detriment to channeling as a breastplate?
Yes. Probably won't stay that way, but it does.
Weight: Does the weight of the metal armor matter in how fast you fail your channeling?
Nope. Just the type of armor it is (light leather, rigid leather, scale, plate, etc.)
Aggregate: It does seem to fail channeling much faster the more armor pieces you're wearing.
Yep, more armor = more channeling penalty.
Construction: Does studded or chain or scale-on-leather etc. have a varying effect?
As stated above, it's based on the type of armor.
Randomness: I noticed that the timing for failure is a little random. Do increased skills help lower the odds at all?
It's based on a roll per second, so as far as a roll is random, yes, it's random. There is only one way to reduce armor encumbrance and that's the Templar ability, Serafina's Blessing, which only affects thaumaturgy. Skill doesn't factor in at all.
I doubt the MUD ticks every second
It does.
The lore compels me!
xavier

Post by xavier »

well that's comforting to know that my observational skills aren't entirely out of practice. Thanks for the run down

Return to “Sorcery”