Random Disconnects

Discussion of different MUD clients, plugins, etc. as well as technical help.
Elystole

Random Disconnects

Post by Elystole »

Since I've started playing CLOK again I've been getting randomly disconnected. They happened a couple of times, then I went several days without any, and then I just had another one that got me killed.

I don't have the best connection now, only a 3 Mb DSL line, but the weird thing is that the disconnects aren't preceded by a period of lag like I'd expect from a bad connection. I'm fine, then I can't respond for five seconds, and then I'm disconnected. Of course, my character stays logged in. I try to log back in but can't connect to CLOK, but I can continue using the internet normally.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? Getting randomly disconnected from CLOK makes it difficult to play.
You overhear the following rumor:
"I saw one of those Shadgard folk come barging into Grif's and shoot one of the patrons on the spot. Shadgard must be a pretty rough place with such outlaws running rampant."
Makkah

Re: Random Disconnects

Post by Makkah »

I've gotten a ton of these also in the past week or so.
sona

Post by sona »

I just feel like server lag is a bit higher than normal, but I play around it for the most part. I do wish we could do something about the server lag, but the only thing I can think of is relocating the server to another host/location. But..that's probably not an option.
Makkah

Post by Makkah »

It's not lag I've noticed at all. Straight up drops.
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

I haven't had any issues with it at all. Not to discount what you all are reporting. I'm just not sure it's a server thing unless I'm just not on when it's happening.
Elystole

Post by Elystole »

I am getting disconnected without any lag, so I don't think it is that. If I was lagging out, I'd blame my connection first, but then I stay connected to everything else.

Nor do I want to say it is the server. I really don't know what it could be. Are we using a different port than we used to? Is there something triggering a security setting?
You overhear the following rumor:
"I saw one of those Shadgard folk come barging into Grif's and shoot one of the patrons on the spot. Shadgard must be a pretty rough place with such outlaws running rampant."
sona

Post by sona »

for myself, it makes sense. the ping time from server is about 115ms on average, a bit over a second buffering between anything I do. I never get straight up disconnects though, not even during the 4am backup. I believe you can connect either through port 4000 or port 23. might want to give either a test.
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

The port you connect to shouldn't have much of a difference. Do try connecting through an alternative IP though.
  • 67.23.247.154 (Default)
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
sona

Post by sona »

157 does push me a bit under 100 ms, so maybe i'll give that one a try in the future.
Akila
Mentor

Post by Akila »

Jirato wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:51 am The port you connect to shouldn't have much of a difference. Do try connecting through an alternative IP though.
  • 67.23.247.154 (Default)
Are these IPs still valid after the server upgrade? I find myself disconnecting a lot (6 times one after another today) so figured trying an alternate IP might help.
[CHAT - Mayor Bryce of Bryceburgh]: It's that funny metal thing you put in your mouth, Galon, and then it goes "Boing, doing, dwang, dwang, doing, ding, boing, dwahng."
04:06:02 [CHAT - Mayor Bryce of Bryceburgh]: You know, the thing Snoopy plays to help Charlie Brown remember "i before e, except after c"

Return to “Technical Stuff”