Client Suggestions Please?

Discussion of different MUD clients, plugins, etc. as well as technical help.
Drayla

Client Suggestions Please?

Post by Drayla »

Hey guys, guess who's back? I know I've been away for a while, but I'm planning on making a return very soon. However, I have a dilemma. As most of you know, I used to play on my phone all the time. It was the only way I ever had to connect. Well, now I have my laptop back up and running for the first time in two years (all I had to do was get off my lazy butt and put it back together) and I want to use it to play CLOK. But here's my problem: I have zero experience with any MUD clients on computers. So, if you guys could kindly give me some suggestions, and list the pros and cons of each one, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'll see you guys back in Arid soon!
jilliana

Re: Client Suggestions Please?

Post by jilliana »

I think the Wiki makes some suggestions. I know the plug-in seems to be a major hit with a lot of the more experienced players.
Welcome back, btw.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
Drayla

Post by Drayla »

D'oh, didn't even think to check the wiki. Thanks. I'll take a look. Hopefully I find something that works for me.
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

I really like zMUD and cMUD, honestly. I've tried other clients out (MUSHclient, MUDlet, gMUD), but I've always found that zMUD (even the really old, free version) has a cleaner look, and an easier interface to work with. It's VERY simple to do basic, simple scripts once you learn a few things as well.

Downsides? The newer versions of zMUD cost money, and cMUD costs money as well. There's also not a whole lot of people that actively use these anymore either (especially on Clok), so it's sometimes hard to get help with scripting unless you already know someone that knows how to script using these clients.
“There is always a choice."
"You mean I could choose certain death?"
"A choice nevertheless, or perhaps an alternative. You see I believe in freedom. Not many people do, although they will of course protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.”
TwistedAkai

Post by TwistedAkai »

Different clients work well for different people. I personally like MUSHClient for mudding in general. However, the official clok plugin package is for Mudlet. I've had enough people tell me cMUD/zMUD is good that I'm willing to believe it. Last time I tried it's free version, triggers/aliases were the only things that gave me much trouble, though I suspect that was largely because I was used to MUSHClient's interface.
You also notice the corpse of a canim scavenger (x169).
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I like tintin++, though it's got a steep learning curve and is completely without a GUI, so you do everything with the keyboard. I consider that a bonus in my book, but I don't think most other people do.

I find both Mushclient and Mudlet to be really nice. I haven't fiddled with Mudlet as much, but configuring Mushclient has always seemed easy and intuitive to me. I prefer it over Mudlet, but Mudlet is cross-platform (works on Windows, Mac, and Linux) so I think that's why Noccy moved his official unofficial plugin efforts to that client. Mudlet seems a little less intuitive and messy to me as far as configuration and such, but again - I haven't spent as much time with it as I have with Mushclient.

I'd say if you want to keep up with Noccy's plugin packages (which are very spiffy and useful), give Mudlet a try. If you're not as interested in that, and you'e on Windows, I think Mushclient is fabulous and easy for beginners to work with.
The lore compels me!
xavier

Post by xavier »

if you do choose to go with mushclient know that there are issues with the help system due to windows upgrades. Here is a link to the help documentation on the web. Know also that mushclient is not supported by its creator anymore.

http://www.gammon.com.au/scripts/doc.php
Rain falls steadily to the earth.
The gore has been washed from you.
The blood has been washed from you.
You are splattered with gore!
Rain falls steadily to the earth.
The gore has been washed from you.
The blood has been washed from you.
You are splattered with gore!
TwistedAkai

Post by TwistedAkai »

Oh! Right. I forgot about that. Yes, MUSHClient uses the older windows help system, but that same help system -is- still available from Microsoft as an optional download for all versions of Windows: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607

As far as not being supported by it's creator, Nick released a new version three days ago. Though it looks like he hasn't been keeping the main page up to date.
You also notice the corpse of a canim scavenger (x169).
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

On Windows machines, I've used MUSHclient, Gmud, zMUD, cMUD, and Mudlet, and my tastes and preferences have changed greatly over the years.

Of all the clients above, I have to say that my current favorite is MUSHclient for its minimalist approach. cMUD has idiot-proof scripting, and the CLOK plugin for Mudlet is awesome, but for my purposes, I kinda like just a text window and an input bar.

The majority of the time I'm using TinTin++ on a Linux box though. It's got a ton of power, but an extremely minimal design.
merin
CLOK Patron

Post by merin »

Yeah you've got to actually go to the MC forums to see the new releases.

http://mushclient.com/scripts/forum.php?bbtopic_id=1
criticalfault

Post by criticalfault »

As well a friend of mine came up with a few awesome plugins! If you end up with MushClient, let me know, i'll be glad to show you all of the cool things he put together. I think my favorite is how he restructured looking into and on things, as well as making them searchable for specific words, IE. l in bag for bandage, will show you everything in the bad and highlight any item that contains the word bandage. Really cool stuff.
Jhordon -(Struck by lightning) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X69NaSUdzzA
Cigano - (Friends on the other side) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZAY-78zhmw
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

FYI:
count bandage
You have the following items:

an untreated bandage (in a folded black leather toolkit)
criticalfault

Post by criticalfault »

Dang, thats a helpful command! I didn't know about that guy. Thanks!
Jhordon -(Struck by lightning) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X69NaSUdzzA
Cigano - (Friends on the other side) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZAY-78zhmw
Drayla

Post by Drayla »

Okay, I hate to be a bother like this, but now I need suggestions to use the IRC channel. I need something very user-friendly, as I have never dealt with IRC channels in the past, so I have no idea what I need to do to log on and use it.
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

Drayla wrote:Okay, I hate to be a bother like this, but now I need suggestions to use the IRC channel. I need something very user-friendly, as I have never dealt with IRC channels in the past, so I have no idea what I need to do to log on and use it.
There is a thread somewhere discussing this very thing. I can't remember where it is exactly, though.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."

Return to “Technical Stuff”