Training Mobs

Elystole

Training Mobs

Post by Elystole »

One thing Rias mentioned at the last Skype call was that they focused on rolling out the training mobs for the sub-500 crowd - which makes total sense as that is what benefits the largest portion of the game. He then said that we should make a thread for any skill ranges that we've noticed are missing training mobs.

Reminder: A training mob is a mob with damaged weapons, small claws, or something else that makes them less lethal than taking a bear to the face. I think it's an ingenious solution to the problem that was the burden of healing while training as buffing healing would have made those serious fights less lethal but leaving it alone was making training insufferable. Now there's an option for training and the serious fights are lethal as ever which further underscores their weight against the run-of-the-mill stuff.

So I'll start by quoting Rias! Are there any training mobs in these ranges?
Rias wrote:As for higher-level hunting areas elsewhere:

- On par with outer Stone Canyon: Ravaged Wagon Camp
- On par with Hyra: Redleaf Overlook
- On par with Desert of Desolation: Infested Logging Camp

Now that said, I'd be thrilled to add more places for higher-skilled people to train skills. I love building, and I haven't done it in a long long time, and I'm feeling the itch like crazy (Noccy, don't even bring up butterflies!). So who knows? Maybe more places will pop up soon.
Or even lower. I'm not sure what those areas roll for numbers. And, hell yes, building is awesome. I had fun exploring the caves and the swamp.

Another thought I had is that it might be spiffy if the non-training mobs had trophies of some sort for the experienced hunter to say, "Yeah, I went into the ravaged wagon camp and brutalized the local canim population. And here's the scalps to prove it." Maybe it's just me, but I kind of wish that leather goods showed you what sort of leather it was (as different animal hides do have different grains even after tanning) so that you can see when someone bagged a timber wolf instead of a rabbit. Or when you hunt a giant crab because it's a giant crab.

...I just want a trophy room, okay?
You overhear the following rumor:
"I saw one of those Shadgard folk come barging into Grif's and shoot one of the patrons on the spot. Shadgard must be a pretty rough place with such outlaws running rampant."
Kunren

Re: Training Mobs

Post by Kunren »

Nothing stopping you from dragging corpses into your house(except that one thing that happened one to me, but don't mind that!) as for training areas... Haven't noticed any gaps so far, but then I'm not über skilled yet.
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

The dreadnaughts in the Redleaf Overlook have had their gear cruddified (as is fitting for the area), so they should be significantly less threatening and deadly now. The lich that spawns there will continue to be a nasty threat, but its respawn timer is very long.

The infested logging camp is undergoing some renovation. It'll likely be split into a few different areas to allow for a larger but compartmentalized skill spread, and the infested there will have cruddy gear.

The ravaged wagon camp has canim, and canim should never be considered less than significantly dangerous. Mwahaha.
The lore compels me!
baerden

Post by baerden »

Compartmentalizing or adding on to existing hunting areas is a smart move. It accomplishes a few things, most notably, keeps people from spreading out too far between the various areas. I wanted to suggest this in lieu of creating new areas but I didn't want to be such a buzz kill.

The reason is, this encourages grouping, since it creates a central place to rest outside the hunting area where people meeting up is more likely.

I also like the idea of slightly more dangerous creatures, like the Lich, or others which can occasionaly breach into the other compartemntalized areas for a hightened sense of danger or suspense.
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

Thank you for considering adjusting some of those areas. :)
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
Alicia

Post by Alicia »

I like Baerden's idea! Sort of like how MMOs will have world bosses or such spawn in an area that requires either a lot of skill/touch of luck to beat on your own or you need to get a group to take it down for awhile so you can return to normal training. Make it something that has slightly rare drops in terms of weapon/armor that can either be a nice trophy collection or something you can swap some current gear out for if you manage to slay it.

Return to “Creatures”