Spider web duration

Alexander

Spider web duration

Post by Alexander »

I would like to request that the duration for spider webbing be reconsidered. Being webbed for a full minute is not only dangerous, it is also highly frustrating, as there is to my knowledge absolutely nothing that can be done about it during the duration. There is also the fact that one is likely to be webbed again during the duration, resulting in some extremely long and frustrating sessions of standing idle with nothing to be done about it.

My armor has thankfully allowed me to survive some disturbingly extended durations of standing helplessly as I am webbed over and over again. I do not mind that the situation is dangerous. The primary issue is the fact that nothing can be done to even attempt to break free during the duration, and the duration is likely to double up, triple up, or more. It appears to simply be a timer which must count down to 0, and this timer is very likely to be refreshed multiple times before reaching 0 as one is webbed multiple times.

I would suggest either a reduction in the duration, or periodic chances during the duration to break free of the webbing early. I also might suggest a bonus for those holding an edged weapon in hand which may be useful in cutting the webbing away. Those with two edged weapons, one in each hand, would enjoy a doubled bonus.
(Alexander clenches a fist momentarily, then stops and calms himself with visible effort.)
[FROM Eira (OOC)]: LET IT OUT, MAN!
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Also, if it does not already, I would suggest Pyro Shield grant immunity or an extremely lowered webbing duration. The other elemental shields might provide significant bonuses to avoiding being webbed at all, by brushing the webbing aside.
(Alexander clenches a fist momentarily, then stops and calms himself with visible effort.)
[FROM Eira (OOC)]: LET IT OUT, MAN!
hadesfire

Post by hadesfire »

A STRUGGLE command could solve the problem, just use it anytime you get stuck. It would probably take dodge and melee into consideration.
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

Isn't struggling how spiders get their prey MORE wrapped? Still, there should be something you can do. How big are these spiders? >.>
hadesfire

Post by hadesfire »

the command wouldn't literally make you flop around, but you would do what youc ould to escape confinements.
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

I agree-gree with Alexander. I fought a spider for the first time not too long ago and noticed the same problem with the re-webbing causing long periods of helplessness.
Speaking to Garith, you exclaim, "Ban' baaan'!"
Lemuel

Post by Lemuel »

Also agree with Alexander.

Also, I still like my earlier idea that a torch in hand should go a long way in melting those webs, and perhaps even driving off the spider.

I wonder if it's natural for a spider IRL to keep re-webbing it's prey like that anyway, or if it would just start munching, or if it bites and paralyses? Does it save you for later, or eat you right away? I don't know.
- locksmith Lemuel 'I do all my own stunts.'

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

If they have eaten recently they will save you for later. Most of them rely on their webs to keep their prey tangled but quite a few of them also use a paralytic venom. Most common house spiders eat their old web before spinning a new one which they do about twice a day, whilst some less common species of spiders are able to spit their web a ta target, draw it in and begin feeding immediately. They web, when spat, takes on a roughly spherical shape, completely envelops the target and then the spider simply eats the web again and then begins draining it's prey's blood leaving a bloodless husk behind.
Lun
CLOK Patron

Re: Spider web duration

Post by Lun »

I know it's been half a year, but bump. I've been fighting spiders recently that range from 150-600 and all of them have the habit of webbing me every few seconds. Even if spiders do that normally, there's absolutely nothing I can do while in the web. Meanwhile, he's poisoned me and I'm taking energy drain constantly.

I don't really mind if the webbing is to stay, though it's incredibly terrible to any spider-hunter-to-be, but I was under the impression that webbing takes a lot of energy... but it seems like it does nothing to the spiders in CLOK, as if they were doing a normal task instead of quickly spewing tons of webbing at a 5'-6' creature (enough to completely immobilize them.)
Rias
Lore Hermit

Re: Spider web duration

Post by Rias »

Just be happy they don't stack duration anymore (they currently overwrite). I think one person reported ~5 minutes kicking back in a web. Probably Alexander, staying alive due to armor and Resolve Chant.

That said, I've wanted to revisit webbing for a while. Chances for webbing only the legs, or the arms, or occasionally the whole body as it is now. Add a little variety. Chances to break free early, too. Don't count on it for a while, though. Hey, you can tell people later on, "Back in MY day, webs always completely immobilized you, and there was no way to break free, it was just a flat timer! You kids have it easy!"

Return to “Creatures”