Nootau's Experiments

In-character posts and discussion regarding the world of Arad, recent events, etc.
Nootau

Nootau's Experiments

Post by Nootau »

My name is Nootau Adani, these experiments have begun in the month of [Sep], during the Waning Lunar phase. Headmistress Seren has requested that I document this test as well as my thoughts, I do not fully understand why, maybe it is for younger students to learn what to do or, what not to do. The purpose of this experiment is to increase the fortification of Shadgard from the Infected, the dead and any other threat.

Experiment One Stage One - During Waning Quarter of Septum
At the beginning of the first day I examined the walls of the Canyon just before the Gatehouse to the city. The majority of the rock and soil appears to contain high amounts of red clay and limestone. There has been traces of other metals within the soil and stones but it was not prominent enough to make a clear difference. The red color is odd as it runs deep within the deposits, I am not sure if this is from run off from the caverns or if this is natural.

Experiment One Stage Two
It took most of the morning and some of the afternoon, breaking off and pulling away the stones and clay until a section as wide as I am, as deep as my full arm length. I am grateful to have been able to manipulate the air which aided me in making the channels in both sides of the canyon as tall as the Gatehouse. This will be used as a holding for the additional barrier, least it fall down soon after being formed. The clay that was removed was easily molded into tall but narrow blocks. From seeking advice from sir Balden, stone cools and expands, so some containment is needed. I think I will retire for this day.

Experiment One Stage Three
Collecting the clay, I mixed it with ample amounts of water before using it to paint the gatehouse with a thick coat. Using the mass of rocks that were separated from the clay, I heated it until the stability was broken and became a liquid once again, and slowly began to use this to make a thin, only a finger deep, layer contained between the clay-ed gatehouse and the now dried, clay blocks. This work continued for some time, I limited it to a six by six area to control it, rather then allow it to burn the gate as it cooled. Once finished melting the rock, i guided the remaining water and the breeze within the area to steadily cool the outer later of the forming wall, trying to forge broken crystals on its surface, hoping the obsidian shards would shred the limbs of those who try to scale the gate.

Experiment One Stage Four
I am planning to speak with acting mayor Gunthar about the matter of supplies needed to accelerate projects, I did not think I would require so much stone and clay to finish the wall, but after just a few days of work.. I had not only used up the supplies readily available but taxed my mind too long.. I should of listened to madam Adena more often it seems. I wonder if I could request aid from another student from the university.
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
~The Apprentice of the Elements
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Nice details. I like what you're doing.
The lore compels me!
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

Departing from my studies for the first time in many months I have returned to the small city of Shadgard. The day this time is the month of Markum, during the Waxing lunar phase. I have been spending my time resting and working deep within the caverns of the mines.

Most seem to fear the Shades but even skills of an apprentice of pyromancer would be more than enough to chase them away, I shall make note to madam Adena to use these caverns as a training grounds. I doubt the local merchants would complain.

While exploring these mines I have found a rather massive chasm, passive seems impossible. I have elected this to become one of my many experiments to try within these mines, I have grown tired of theory and wish to apply many different lessons.

A second, and possibly an simultaneous experiment, will be on using lessons from sir Roderic to disperse the odd, smelly, air within these tunnels, it seems to catch alight rather easily.
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

The moon has begun to shift into the Waning phase as I write this entry. I have begun studying the stones within Shadgard, deep within the mine are tunnels who's ores have rarely been touched from fear of the shades. Something has changed from my last entry, the numbers of Shades seems to be drastically increasing, their cries now echo even to the mouth of the mine.

As I visited the chasm this week and began to meditate there, trying to calm my mind and sense ores deep within the surrounding earth. My mind became filled and thoughts twisted into desperation and terror. When I opened my eyes, I was surrounded by almost a dozen different Shades trying to pour their memories and pain into me. I managed to fight off the fear and the turn them into funeral pyres yet, as soon as they faded several more arose from the chasm.

Focusing my mind, I moved the ball of flames I used as a source of light and guided it down into the darkness below. I could not be sure of what is down below, but I am sure, something is stirring and tormenting the souls trapped below.
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

Only a sliver of the Waning moon's light shines in the month of May. It confuses and troubles me that the village was almost laid to waste just so a single man can look upon a wall. While the town slept, I took it upon myself to see just what the wall truly was.

Kneeling down at the end of 'Old South Road', I unfasten a pouch and slip a small item from it, my diamond-edged chisel. Using its sharpened edge I scrape along the lowest part of the barrier, trying to be discreet while carving shavings into the pouch. Closing my eyes, I gathered my thoughts, focusing on the rock near the massage barrier trying to identify any additional traits within it that would be out of place. Briefly using the chisel along a small fault in the stone, I collect another sample before palming the chisel into the pouch and closing it.

Slipping into the shadows, I refasten the pouch to my belt and wait for a short time, watching to see if others had noticed. After several minutes I left towards the gatehouse and down the canyon, I need like to speak with Sir Balden, maybe he will aid me in identifying all of the materials.

Return to “General IC Discussion”