Experiments of the Institute, The Musing of the Scholars(IC)

In-character posts and discussion regarding the world of Arad, recent events, etc.
Nootau

Experiments of the Institute, The Musing of the Scholars(IC)

Post by Nootau »

[University of Elemancy, Library Alcove] (InUr)
Cut off from the rest of the library, this area provides a secluded spot perfect for reading and contemplation. Soft cushions of soft velvet line rich mahogany benching that wraps in a half-circle around the table.

(The OOC counterpart: viewtopic.php?pid=4680)

Nootau sits down onto a cushion that lines the simi-circle bench. Raising a leg, he bent it to rest across his other leg's knee. "I am pleased to see that so many have taken time out of their busy day to meet with me here. Rest assured this is not doing to be a request for aid nor a call to arms. I wish to have a thoughtful mix of ideas of each other's musings and ideas for new paths of studies. If any one opposes another's ideals, please, stay respectful. We are colleges in these studies after all. I will try to begin things," his voice was soft and relaxed, clearly trying to not have it carry through to the main halls of the Library.

"I recently have been experimenting with the feel of heavy armor upon one's body as well as the very make up of copper, bronze, iron and steel. Many of these materials are able to be manipulated as an apprentice of the Geomantic studies, which aids in collecting better samples. As a tested journeyman I have found that crude control of large segments of stone at once is possible means of defense but is not very good in the ways of an offense. As I further my studies I have begun to experiment for a way to control condensed stones to act as if small plates of scale armor around sections of the body. Not as good a forged scale armor, but it should, in theory, offer some protection against blades. Has anyone else had similar thoughts or possibly had any success with such experiments?

"If no one has, then please, begin speaking about your own experiments, it is better to hear many different lines of thoughts than focus on just one, two experiments might become able to be blended into a abnormal way and become fruitful."
Last edited by Nootau on Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
~The Apprentice of the Elements
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

An aged elemancer with a long white beard coughs briefly before sharing his thoughts:

"The problem with your proposition is that it would require far too complex a pattern with constant, numerous, highly-detailed alterations. Consider the the Shield Pattern, for example. You come up with a simple ellipsoid field around yourself and set your elements to follow that pattern, rarely having to adjust it. It's a simple pattern using basic, constant radii that don't need to be readjusted, with the focal point moving as the channeler himself moves."

"Now consider arranging shards or plates of stone, or any other matter, in an arrangement that closely conforms to your body. Not only is this field going to be vastly more variable and complex than a simple ellipsoid field as used in the Shield Pattern, but countless points are going to be constantly changing as you move, requiring constant adjustment and recalculation of the pattern. It would simply be too complicated to manage, even for the most gifted of elemancers."
The lore compels me!
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

"I was hoping with further study such manipulation would become an after thought, a youthful hope I suppose. Let us take a half of a step back shall we? My thoughts of a more condensed defensive means was from the weakness of using large orbiting stones as a defensive tactic.. The restriction of offensive capabilities. Understanding this flaw I have been trying been attempting to hurl sections of those very defensive stones towards aggressors. This has only has marginal success. Would you have any advise from past experiences or theories?"
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
~The Apprentice of the Elements

Return to “General IC Discussion”