Sensitive information

A private club of philosophers discussing the secrets behind life and death.
Akila
Mentor

Sensitive information

Post by Akila »

Looking over the wiki and also RPing with a couple of others, it's occured to me that "a private club of philosophers discussing and delving into the secrets behind life and death" would have rather sensitive information they're unwilling to share, and could also prove quite dangerous or cause severe dislike or misunderstandings should a tome or a letter be lost or a snippet of a conversation be heard.

I would like to propose a writing system (for example, glyphs, ancient etc) for the Rook Parlour, possibly speech as well but I think mainly the writing side of things so we can keep our secrets as a private club just that. Secret.

Speed edit!
A better way to comunicate with our familiars could also be a thing? Not sure how much coding that would take.
[CHAT - Mayor Bryce of Bryceburgh]: It's that funny metal thing you put in your mouth, Galon, and then it goes "Boing, doing, dwang, dwang, doing, ding, boing, dwahng."
04:06:02 [CHAT - Mayor Bryce of Bryceburgh]: You know, the thing Snoopy plays to help Charlie Brown remember "i before e, except after c"
Craig

Re: Sensitive information

Post by Craig »

Interesting, I like the idea of this with two possible routes I could imagine.

1: Ancient language commonly used by sorcerous tomes, learning it would be a standard part of a sorceror's progress because most of the books in the libraries they make use of would be in this language anyway.

2: Secret code, perhaps similar to how some people who studied alchemy in RL tried to protect their writing. This could be something that is only made available to members of the parlour who reach a certain level of respect so that only the more experienced and trusted members can read it.

This would obviously depend on what direction the GMs think the parlour should go in obviously, just throwing out my opinion on the off chance it sparks something.
Vitello

Post by Vitello »

I never really cared for the secret society aspect personally. You can walk into a hunting ground and see someone harvesting souls, or hear over pendant people talking about harvesting. Not to mention the spectral guards in Mistral lake.
Vitello - Ton - Shirinya - Alwaren
Lun
CLOK Patron

Post by Lun »

having a better familiar message system would be nice. There's sometimes things i want to say to other sorcerers about highly classified secrets that AREN'T discussed on public pendant or anything like that and there's no real way to reach out without suspiciously going helloooo is so and so here I need them and just them.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

tune guildtunercolor
esp pulse
esp Let's have a secret meeting in the Parlour to discuss secretive things. I'll supply the tea.
ask jes for date
The horse thief Jessie doesn't seem too interested in talking about that.
Noctere
Coder

Post by Noctere »

Secret codes and languages are always neat but I do not think the Parlour as a faction really needs one. We already have another guild that has something like that and I would hate to diminish it by giving it to another. It is kind of like the "see in the dark spell". It soon starts that one guild has it, then another, then another, then another and it gets to the point where EVERY guild now wants an ability or spell to see in the dark. Once we start down this path you can see how easy it spreads elsewhere. I would like to try to stop this from happening here.

But like Bryce said, secret esp channels are a great way to keep things guild only. You could also try writing in a specific language such as Nuumic Glyhs. I know many among the Parlour that can read and speak Nuumic and that would be a clever way to do it. Just use the LANGUAGE NUUM command and start writing away.
It's not easy being evil...
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

tune potato
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

Could always try starting a system using that familiar message thingy. Maybe if you have a familiar appear and give you the name of a person in the Parlour, it means that person wants to speak with you privately. It isn't perfect, but any system rarely is.
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
Uandir

Post by Uandir »

behold, the batcode era!! Give us our bat signal, Noc! I jest, I jest.

I don't really think the rooks need/want a sekrit language though. I mean, on a perfect setting setting in a perfect world with a sane character... I would not want to read their filth, who knows what is in the envelop? A haunting? NASTY TAINT( 5$ for a mailed drakolin, by the way) ? with regards to requests to speak to others though, I think what Fayne said might be a good way to go about it if yer want guildmate #234 to not know that you are asking for me because you can't breath without me and my talisman near you.....
Dakhal

Post by Dakhal »

No, I'm pretty sure that the Rooks wanted a secret language or at least writing. You know, else it wouldn't have been requested in the first place and summarily denied as there isn't quantifiable reason for it. Thus, no need. Regardless.. yes, people do use the familiar message- it's limited though. Some names might simply be too long, or a single word may not truly convey the purpose of what's needed! Of course, it could be discussed beforehand what these key words mean and what should be done when received, which would be cool.

And yes, I can't breathe with your talisman near me.. but I don't seem to have that problem for others! (It may be time for a bath.)
Love me or hate me, both are in my favor. If you love me, I'll always be in your heart. If you hate me, I'll always be in your mind.
I lead a Life of Sin.

Return to “Rook Parlour”