Consolidation of some abilities

A private club of philosophers discussing the secrets behind life and death.
Lun
CLOK Patron

Consolidation of some abilities

Post by Lun »

I'm going to lead with the statement that "I'm pretty sure you're already working on this, but I just wanted to chip in my two cents anyway!"

With the release of Generalized Abilities, Rooks are starved for points, as choosing only guild abilities will already put us in the upper 15's. I was hoping that some of the old abilities could be converted to passive perks gained at certain skill caps.

For example, Infused Nether is a prerequisite for later abilities, but in of itself doesn't provide much of a benefit. It could be a perk of sorcery at reaching a certain sorcery level, as could Nether Vision. Nether Vision is one of the most useful utility abilities sorcerers' get, but due to the limited points we get I've decided against it.

Cryomancy and Sorcery could be bundled under one ability, essentially a sorcerer's "training" ability. Every Rook I've ever met has always taken both, and at least one of our abilities hinge on us knowing at least some of both.
Lun
CLOK Patron

Re: Consolidation of some abilities

Post by Lun »

Just an additional add-on thought, (I'm not that familiar with the other guilds anymore, so I'm not sure if this applies elsewhere too,) but some abilities require significant point investment to break into. If breaking users into niche specializations was supposed to be one of the side effects, then I don't mind completely, but I thought I'd just show what kind of point investment is required.

Compared to other guilds or generalized abilities, the reliance on prerequisite abilities is kind of ridiculous. See: previous argument about how Artisans had to spend 4 or 5 points on blacksmithing.*
*In generalization, and since Sorcery isn't generalized I could see this argument being moot but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

For example, If I focused solely on getting Possession, for example, I would end up spending 6 points to reach it.
(Soul Harvest*-Infused Nether-Essence Leech-Shadow Familiar-Minor Animation-Possession)
*Needed to learn sorcery, period
That's a single ability chain required to get a skill.

The other skills don't have such a long chain, maxing out at 4 points to obtain or so.
(Infused Nether-Command Nethrim-Minor Haunting-Sorcerous Amalgamation)

That being said, I would have to dedicate 9 points just to get two abilities that are otherwise completely locked to me.

The only abilities that don't need prereqs are as follows:
Nether Vision
Shadow Martyr

Cryomancy follows its own chain, with 0 reliance on prereq abilities. The only ability you need to learn is Freezing Aura, and all the other abilities unlock from there.

Post-Lysse Edit: Even considering Elemancy, the only prerequisites you have for previous abilities is to be a journeyman, apprentice, or other in the same ability. And while they're both magic, they're completely different, like druidry vs thaumaturgy. Sorcery isn't that strong if you're talking raw numbers-- Elemancy is the king of damage. Our damage remains relatively capped off and I don't think I've ever gotten to the point where it can deal anywhere remotely close to what an elemancer can.
Last edited by Lun on Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

I don't personally think that Rooks are really in need of consolidated abilities, for the same reasons that Elemancers don't. Magic is powerful. A guild that specializes heavily in magic should likely require a pretty good investiture of points.
“There is always a choice."
"You mean I could choose certain death?"
"A choice nevertheless, or perhaps an alternative. You see I believe in freedom. Not many people do, although they will of course protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.”
Avedri

Post by Avedri »

Yeah, I agree with OP. I would like to see some of these bundled.
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

Post-Lysse Edit: Even considering Elemancy, the only prerequisites you have for previous abilities is to be a journeyman, apprentice, or other in the same ability. And while they're both magic, they're completely different, like druidry vs thaumaturgy. Sorcery isn't that strong if you're talking raw numbers-- Elemancy is the king of damage. Our damage remains relatively capped off and I don't think I've ever gotten to the point where it can deal anywhere remotely close to what an elemancer can.
Correct, Elemancy is the King of Damage. However, the magic that Rooks has access to has a bit more variety, in the form of a pet and excellent Crowd Control. The spells that a Rook gets may not be the same in terms of raw power, but raw power is hardly everything in Clok. Magic, in general, is powerful. And not just by terms of damage.
“There is always a choice."
"You mean I could choose certain death?"
"A choice nevertheless, or perhaps an alternative. You see I believe in freedom. Not many people do, although they will of course protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.”

Return to “Rook Parlour”