Wands of Sorcery

A private club of philosophers discussing the secrets behind life and death.
Jaren

Wands of Sorcery

Post by Jaren »

I was trying to think of what would the sorcs use as a wand like item. The elemancers have their fancy wands, alders staffs etc so what would the sorcs have?

Another thought is due to the fact that the skill for channeling, spell aiming and channeled elements may be given a work over some day, we need to think of how this wand thingy will work. As of now the elemancer wands (as I understand it) can be used as a staff and as a ranged weapon via the cast/trance command.

So maybe the ranged effect should be changed to skill up spell aiming and sorcery or cryomancy depending on the sorc wand you choose. That way if spell aiming becomes obsolete if will still work to help newbies skill up an element (to a certain point). Also the sorc wands could be used just like the alder staff in that its melee attack and parry chance would work according to the skill you have in that weapon type.

So the most obvious weapon type I can think of would be a Scythe. But that may clash with what the harvest lord has, unless that can be tied into the story somehow. Like maybe what the harvest lord has is an old powerful sorc scythe or something like that.

More ideas:
Bone staff
Ceremonial Bone Dagger
Enchanted Skull
Evil Tacos
Monkey Paw
"When someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES!"
Winston Zeddmore
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Elemancer wands have a rather lackluster built-in fire cast (bright sparks), improve accuracy when held while casting (more for the original owner than someone else), and cannot parry or be used in melee.

Elemancer staffs have a better built-in firebolt cast, do not improve accuracy, but function as a melee staff and include the staff weapon type parry bonus.

I'm also trying to think of what would work for sorcerers. I like the idea that they're more of a mix of melee and casting, rather than the more pure-casting feel of Elemancers. Rather than limit sorcerers to a specific weapon type (I do like the idea of scythes), I might give them a wider range of weapons with some sort of sorcerer-only properties, such as the ability to harvest a bit of blood on striking, acting as a Blood Talisman and granting a slight energy boost automatically that way.
The lore compels me!
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

Maybe allow Sorcerers access to weapons with a special flag (Fell is a good flag name, can you tell I like that word?).

Basically, any weapon flagged as Fell would allow then to cast through the weapon (IE us it as a staff), and harvest a bit of blood via Rias' idea.
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

Use scythes or some such for sorcerers and flag them as axes and magical. Otherwise give the sorcerers a spell to flag items flagged as weapons an additional flag.
Toukoilija

Post by Toukoilija »

Combine most of the above by crystallizing blood into Fell Scythes that can be cast through and to hang with the blood theme, harvest blood with strikes. Cryomancy was merged into Sorcery so I am sure you can work something out for the crystallization process.

Expanding upon this, other weapon types could be sort of 'merged' with the caster, granting a rather distinctive feel for the weapon array. For example, claws of crystallized blood? Too cheesy?
Perhaps a possibility of performing an unarmed melee attack at a bleeding wound and when successful, causing the blood in the wound's immediate area to crystallize and barb out, ripping the flesh apart with all the due goryness.
Last edited by Toukoilija on Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pyromancer Ameris the Amicable Applier of Pure Fiery Fooz
Lun
CLOK Patron

Post by Lun »

EDIT: I realized charge is already a command. So INFUSE away! or IMBUE. I'm honestly not sure. One of those verbs... They're just examples in anycase.
While I realize this is a bit of a necrobump, I just had a nice idea for sorcery "wands". Because sorcery is a bit unlike elemancy, it would be difficult for an item to intrinsically channel nether, which is such a destructive element.

In its place, perhaps sorcerers could reinforce an item against nether, allowing them to use it as a spell container for a certain number of uses. This might require a specific station within the Rook Parlour HQ, such as a spell circle. This item could then be recharged as the sorcerer pleases after this initial reinforcement. The command to input charges could be simply INFUSE <ITEM>.
Example:
A weapon without the reinforcement
>Infuse staff
You can't do that!
A weapon with the reinforcement
>Infuse staff
You channel some of your <currently channeled> into the staff.
Roundtime: 15 seconds

This addresses the "variety" issue, as any item could then hold charges, and it would ultimately be up to the sorcerer's choice. The quality of the item could determine the maximum number of charges the object can hold.
Certain containers might work better than others, as well. For example, a staff is a classic weapon for magicians of any sort. A staff might be able to hold 1.5x more charges than a regular weapon, such as a sword. A masterworked weapon might be able to hold an additional 1.5x more charges.
In this case, rather than being able to call on nether with a wand without prior input, the sorcerer could instead charge an item, any item, with nether. This will not improve the weapon's damage, but this same weapon can then be discharged in order to cast our basic inky-black blob.
For example:
>look staff
This staff is fairly straight and smooth, though it tapers or expands in some areas.
This staff is imbued with nether! It can be discharged 17 more times.

In combat it would act similar to a wand.
Last edited by Lun on Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have nothing productive to say, therefore, I must be heard!

Return to “Rook Parlour”