Let's play.... NAME THAT GUILD!

A private club of philosophers discussing the secrets behind life and death.
Jaren

Let's play.... NAME THAT GUILD!

Post by Jaren »

[h]Welcome ladies and gentlemen, we a have great show for you tonight.[/h]

Tonight on Name That Guild we will be trying to come up with a name for the ever (in)famous Sorcery Guild. Keep in mind that although many of its denizens are the most evil creatures to walk this earth... <waits for boos and hisses from the crowd> the guild itself is quite neutral and is more than happy to sit "neutrally" by while the world outside falls to ruins... <crowd seems un-sure how to respond to that>

<cough> ..well umm anyway let's begin to find some names shall we. <points to the big "family feud-esk" name board.

<DING!> We have...

Disciples of Nek'Lar (makes you wish you were a space alien doesn't it folks?)
Urik Seth
The Crow Brotherhood (named after the ever popular necromancer Jonathon Crowhaven)
Dagon Gur
Tacomancers (ok... WHO put that one in there?)
The Order of Nether (pick this one and it will "nether" happen again)
The Way (simple and gives GPS directions)

Well that's it for tonight folks. If none of these names make it to the finals we can always just stick with "Sorcerers"

Come see us next time where we will be naming the "merch" guild... umm.. if they don't charge us too much... night folks!

<applause>

any other ideas?
"When someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES!"
Winston Zeddmore
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

The Order of the Damned - From RP Sorcs seems to hold power over death and feed upon it, stealing souls of its victims and summoning the demonic.. Seems to fit the bill of 'the damned' to me.
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
~The Apprentice of the Elements
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

It sounds nice and eeeevil, but it seems a bit too flashy and overt to me. The sorcerers are a rather secretive lot, and I'd prefer them to have a name that isn't so ... damning.

(Where's Paradii to jeer at my wordplay?)
The lore compels me!
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

Disciples of the Fell Crow
or
Order of the Fell Crow
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate
Rithiel

Post by Rithiel »

If Rias doesn't veto the one with the ' I will be seriously pissed off.
A cheerful jingle intones, "Rithenschmirtz Evil Incorporateeeed!"
[OOC - Candy Mountain, Spearhead]: usually when they're snarky, it's Rithiel
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

Order of Set.Based on the Egyptian god of destruction.Colours red and...orange.Or red and dark red.This being the robes by the way.Probably not black.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Yeah, I just skipped over the apostrophe one. I don't allow for the overused apostrophic "makes words look exotic and cool" convention in CLOK.

Although, it would make Rithiel mad. It just might be worth it.
The lore compels me!
Collins

Post by Collins »

[quote=Jaren]Disciples of Nek\'Lar [/quote]

Fixed.
Landion

Post by Landion »

A few thoughts I've had in keeping with a more secretive outlook...

Order of the Crow
Grave Keepers
Scholars of the Crow
No longer GMing for CLOK.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

The 'Crow' bit appears to be popular, so I'll probably go with something to do with that.
The lore compels me!
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

The Crow Hugger Federation?
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
~The Apprentice of the Elements
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Considering the fact that Jonathon Crowhaven himself doesn't affiliate with the guild (though he's pretty much their inspiration and role model), maybe the guild would adopt an alternate but similar bird mascot, such as the rook or the raven. I'm leaning toward the rook, just because the raven is already so often used in this type of setting, and "rook" just sounds neat to me.
The lore compels me!
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

That could lead to the unfortunate nickname...Rookies.Bwahaha.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Which would lead to the offender ending up being the "rookie"'s soul-enslaved unwilling servant. I like it.
The lore compels me!
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

Bingo.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

The Rook Parliament? "Parliament" being a word used to describe a group of rooks, similar to a gaggle of geese or a herd of cattle.
The lore compels me!
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

would it not be a flock no?Also parliament would indicate junior member having some semblance of power which would not be very ...evil.Unless we're speaking capitalist here.Then it would sow chaos.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

"Flock" can apply to birds, sheep, and multiple other animal types. "Parliament" is more specific to rooks (it also apparently applies to owls).

To clear up some common misconceptions, here: Being evil or chaotic is not a requirement for joining this guild. They are neutral. They admittedly have evil or chaotic tendencies due to their subject matter and the effects it has on them (and the type of people it appeals to), but I see them more in the realm of "mad scientist" than "evil chaos-bringer."

This isn't to say a sorcerer can't be an evil chaos-bringer if he so desires - it's just that evil and chaos aren't on the guild agenda. They study and experiment with powers that few understand or are willing to tamper with, and they have no particular regard for moral or ethical restrictions. Like the Elemancers, Sorcerers are also scholars. They just delve into stuff that other people would tend to think is too risky, or ethically deplorable.
The lore compels me!
Jaren

Post by Jaren »

I think we are falling down a spiraling path here. Let me explain. Say I wanted to name the guild "the Dark Mages". The name itself is ok "sound wise" but the words used are rather cliché. So now I decide to try to maintain the same cool name but use different words. So I change the word "the" into the less used french word "Le" and then I decide the word "dark" is also too overused so I change it to "sullen" which means lacking in light or brooding. Then I decide the word "mages" is also overused so i change it to a old interpretation of the word magician which is "Juggler" which means: one who performs tricks or acts of magic or deftness.

THERE we now changed "The Dark Mages" which was somewhat cool into "Le Sullen Jugglers" which is....not... lol

So, I think the wise course of action may be to go the lazy route and just keep them named as "Sorcerers".
"When someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES!"
Winston Zeddmore
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

But that's so boring!
The lore compels me!
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

The Fell Society - fell meaning deplorable

The Aphotic Society - aphotic meaning lacking light

Or if we are assuming that the sorcerers named the guild themselves, they would probably see themselves not as deplorable or dark or what have you, but as something of visionaries or groundbreakers on the forefront or edge of common knowledge. -------
The Fringe Society - fringe meaning edge

The Recondite Society - meaning mysterious or obscure and beyond ordinary knowledge (per dictionary.com)

The Transcendent Society - meaning extraordinary or superior

Can you tell that I'm stuck on society?
Last edited by Jaster on Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Speaking to Garith, you exclaim, "Ban' baaan'!"
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Yeah, the guild name would be something the sorcerers themselves came up with, and I doubt they're going to be naming themselves something unkind.

Members of the guild will continue to be called "sorcerers," as they are practitioners of sorcery, but they really should have a decent guild name.
The lore compels me!
Landion

Post by Landion »

I'm not sure I like Rias' new signature.

On the other hand:

"The Rook Parlor"
No longer GMing for CLOK.
Rithiel

Post by Rithiel »

That's okay - in Rias' mind, it's always my fault, so you're off the hook.
A cheerful jingle intones, "Rithenschmirtz Evil Incorporateeeed!"
[OOC - Candy Mountain, Spearhead]: usually when they're snarky, it's Rithiel
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

i'm surprised it isn't my fault
Speaking to Garith, you exclaim, "Ban' baaan'!"

Return to “Rook Parlour”