Scholarly path

A private club of philosophers discussing the secrets behind life and death.
Rasui

Scholarly path

Post by Rasui »

I've heard about elemancers being able to take a more academic approach to their training. Will there be similar opportunities for Rooks? I joined for the "philosopher and scholar of the mysterious behind life and death" reasons rather than wanting to be a scary sorcerer capable of killing things with the flick of a finger.
Last edited by Rasui on Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Yes. Elemancers will get theirs implemented fist, but Rooks will also get some academic (non-combat) options.
The lore compels me!
Rasui

Post by Rasui »

I thought I would suggest some task ideas that don't involve heavy combat like the soul harvest tasks do.
  • Enter a ruin, cemetery, ancient battlefield, crypt, etc. and SURVEY the area for signs of residual nether and observe its behavior. This would be like the elemancer survey tasks.
  • Enter a similar area to above and find a relic, tome, artifact, piece of a skeleton, etc. and bring it back to the Parlour.
  • Study books in the Rook library and look for the answer to a specific question. This would require lore documentation like the similar elemancer idea posted but would be a great way to release information regarding sorcery.
  • Enter an area inhabited by nethrim and take temporary minor control over a spirit, have it follow you back to the Parlour. This would require a new ability that would cause a nethrim creature to become temporarily friendly to you.
  • Enter an area inhabited by nethrim and STUDY a nethrim creature instead of attacking it. Go back and report your findings.
  • Bring back a certain number of soul shreds to give to the Parlour. It could be any type of soul shred, similar to the herb gather tasks which don't necessarily require harder-to-find herbs.
  • Gather herbs tasks like other guilds have. Don't forget the Parlour also studies life as well as death and from what I can tell, the design will embrace suggestion of the Life Path as well as Death Path and so they will have an interest in alchemy and potions in addition to sorcery. Unlike guilds that only want healing herbs the Parlour could also send its people to gather poisons and herbs with other strange effects.
  • Experiment on a drifter, beggar, etc. Give an experimental potion to an NPC and observe the effects, then report back to the guild.
It would also be great if completion of these tasks would give you a minor boost to the involved skill, like sorcery or herbalism, so we could gain skill in a way other than attacking enemies. Good for the scholars and philosophers who don't want to be offensive casters. Maybe you can choose what types of tasks you prefer: combat or non-combat (or both). Then you will be given tasks from that list.
Xzean

Post by Xzean »

Good lord I love all of these ideas. I know Xzean is more of a scholar so i'd love non combat options for tasks.
"The effort to understand the universe is one of the very few things that lifts human life a little above the level of farce, and gives it some of the grace of tragedy." `Steven Weinburg
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Very cool ideas. I added the medicinal herb tasks to Rook Parlour. I also added the two easiest of the suggestions: Supply Soul Shreds, and Nether Survey. They just required some re-wording and very minor tweaks of existing tasks. I'll work on the other ones after I finish up the Claw of Shar stuff.
The lore compels me!
Xzean

Post by Xzean »

Rias,

The herb tasks are leading to places that are way too hard for me (Tarueka Forest Trail and Stone Canyon). Something to look into maybe?
"The effort to understand the universe is one of the very few things that lifts human life a little above the level of farce, and gives it some of the grace of tragedy." `Steven Weinburg
Xzean

Post by Xzean »

Also I have had an herb task the last nearly 20 times now and nothing else. Are kill/nether tasks not showing up for some reason?

Also I would love to be able to ask for a certain type of task. IE: ask flannigan about herb task, ask flannigan about harvest task, ask flannigan about nether task

Ninja edit: Finally got a harvest task, but it still seems like herb is popping far too often.
Last edited by Xzean on Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Asher

Post by Asher »

I have had the same problems with those tasks. I would like to go gather things like arnica and yora root but the areas are SO dangerous, I doubt I could get by even one of its denizens.

I don't have any combat skills and I find it suspicious that Dimmes keeps asking me to wander into the deepest pits of hell to pick a few flowers.
Last edited by Asher on Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

Yora root is available in the wilderness, so that isn't too hard to find.
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate

Return to “Rook Parlour”