Ability idea: Quicksell

Artisans of the Western Coalition, specializing in resource-gathering and crafting.
sona

Ability idea: Quicksell

Post by sona »

Quicksell is an ability that allows an artisan to sell raw resources at their appraisal value instantly, from anywhere. NPCs in the area are offered a couple hundred riln, or maybe it would make more sense to have a percent of the appraise value deducted as the NPcs take, so that they take the artisans resources and save them a trip to town, allowing them to continue their work, and also ensuring that they get the best prices possible, distributing goods sold in this way to different hamlets so that the NPCs also get the best price. There's a couple ways this could be done. selling the contents of a container, loading an invis market NPC that spawns for about 5 minutes and can only be used by the artisan spawning it. Just a thought, figured it might be a neat Artisan idea :)
merin
CLOK Patron

Re: Ability idea: Quicksell

Post by merin »

Too OP in my opinion. Unless I'm messing this up, you're requesting we're able to sell from anywhere. I think that would be too easy -- mined up a whole wagon full of obsidian, no need to take it into town i'll just sell it here. Way way too easy, especially if we don't have to put in the work to make it worth something.
sona

Post by sona »

figured it wouldn't be too bad, if you lose X% of the total value to be able to do it.
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

I think this would be more reasonable if it was limited to town environments, i.e. Hamlets, and town like guilds (Dwaedn Vil), etc. If you're in a mine or the middle of the wilderness, do you really expect to be able to find a buyer? Anywhere would be a little bit strange. I can see people in the hamlets, who for the most part have less resources and riln, looking for good deals though!
sona

Post by sona »

I was looking at the idea through the lens that there are more NPCs in the lost land than are physically represented. There is decent likelihood you might be on the way to a mine, and on the forest path, there is reasonably NPC foresters, etc, who probably have wagons for their lumber, also farmers, and many other professionals, and entrepeneurs of different stripes. Heck, it'd basically be a delivery/mail system thing, "hey, I'll sell you this at a discount, but you take it and sell it for me." If you tell NPCs or PCs even that if they sit about with a wagon, that for X riln, they can have X+10% profit, and the only work they have to do is to move some stuff, I think NPCs and PCs would jump on that. That said, I'm not desperate for this or anything, it just seemed like a neat idea for artisan abilities. Because we need constructive abilities, so get constructive with me please.
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

sona wrote:I was looking at the idea through the lens that there are more NPCs in the lost land than are physically represented. There is decent likelihood you might be on the way to a mine, and on the forest path, there is reasonably NPC foresters, etc, who probably have wagons for their lumber, also farmers, and many other professionals, and entrepeneurs of different stripes. Heck, it'd basically be a delivery/mail system thing, "hey, I'll sell you this at a discount, but you take it and sell it for me." If you tell NPCs or PCs even that if they sit about with a wagon, that for X riln, they can have X+10% profit, and the only work they have to do is to move some stuff, I think NPCs and PCs would jump on that. That said, I'm not desperate for this or anything, it just seemed like a neat idea for artisan abilities. Because we need constructive abilities, so get constructive with me please.
If there were really enough npcs living in the wilderness to facilitate this idea, they would have long been eaten by nethrim/canim/infested/bloodcult/bandits. 95 percent of even the invisible npcs live in towns or hamlets cause of how dangerous the lands are.

However, I like Acarins suggestion, of being able to sell anywhere in a town or hamlet. Pay some random dude to go sell your stuff at the market for you, that kind of thing.
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
sona

Post by sona »

not a bad thing, not really worth an ability point IMO though, if it's hacked down to the point of needing to be in a town/hamlet.
Xyra

Post by Xyra »

Perhaps a... 'porter' ability or something similar. He follows you around (almost like a horse), and you can give him a sack of goods to run off to the markets with. You can tell him to just go to the nearest, or to find the best prices, in which case it will take far longer for him to get back. Like a horse he'll run if attacked, but die if killed and you'll have to hire another, at an increased rate which will keep going up if you get them killed until your reputation goes away. Perhaps require you to be in the wilderness or non-hostile zone like most player mines. You could include things like a chance for them to get killed on any given delivery, but you wouldn't want to hamstring the ability too much.

It's already something I personally wouldn't be interested in, but I think some might be, as Sona obviously is.

Edit: I especially don't see how the ability is 'too powerful' since all it really does is save you a few minutes running to town yourself. It isn't as though it is particularly difficult to get that stuff to town, just a bit time consuming.
sona

Post by sona »

I'm only slightly interested in it personally. It'd be useful, but I'd debate on spending a point on it. But regardless of personal interest, it sounds like a decent idea to me, so I thought i'd suggest it. Even if I don't need it, it could be really valuable to another artisan.
Xyra

Post by Xyra »

I think it, like swindle, would be very valuable to new artisans, as it would prevent them having to return to town regularly just to sell their things, but perhaps less so once you've gotten established. I think thematically it would be fairly appropriate, though I do understand the idea that the invisible NPCs are mostly in the cities, so perhaps a bit less so in that regard, but the idea of giving Artisans an ability to sell their stuff more easily, I think it fits.

Return to “Artisans”