Ideas for the artisan guild, or not!

Artisans of the Western Coalition, specializing in resource-gathering and crafting.
crystal2014

Ideas for the artisan guild, or not!

Post by crystal2014 »

I have been given more thought to what kinds of things can be done to make an artisan a more appealing character, and here are some of the things I have come up with. First, farming, I think that artisan should have seeds that aren’t available to other players. This will give new artisans something sellable to other players from the beginning. These things can include green, yellow and red peppers, grapes, sweet potatoes and celery, for example. I believe if an artisan sticks with farming and gains master farmer perhaps this artisan should be allowed to plant fruit trees. It is nice that keth offer fruits for sale in that shop, but if artisans could grow fruits such as lemons, pineapples, mangos, and other fruits like that, this would also give them a commodity that can only be obtained through an artisan. Then the players should be able to make things like lemon marang pie, stuff pineapples etc. I am glad to see the tree preserve open, but we need some more trees that perhaps aren’t offered anywhere else in game. Since we have the logging ability, can some or all of the following trees be added to the tree preserve?! Black ash, white ash, yellow birch, black cherry, red maple, sugar maple, red oak, white oak, red spruce, white spruce, black walnut, mahogany, ebony, teak, rosewood, redwood and cypress. I have mentioned that the leather goods are coming out to be heavier than the store bought items perhaps this warrants another look, please. If possible can we be able to forge metal buttons and buckles and things like that? These items can be used, by artisans only, in making leather goods. I wanted to mention the possibility of carpentry being added to the artisan guild as an ability. We have the logging ability so it would seem that carpentry should follow this. Perhaps the prerequisite to apprentice carpentry should be master logger. With master carpentry the artisan should be given the ability to make furniture pieces that are not available to anyone else. Things such as vanity tables, writing desk instead of just desk, steam trunks instead of just chest, hat stands instead of just coat trees, four-poster beds instead of just beds, end and kitchen table instead of just tables, handcrafted casks instead of just casks. Perhaps we can also forge different types of metal bands that could be added to the barrels to make them unique. So an artisan made barrel would be an exquisite rosewood barrel with a burgundy gold band. I love what has been done with forging at this point; however, here are some other things that I think could be added to make forging more necessary in game. Forging general, well the only really useful things that can be made under this category are nails, hinges, and hoops, which are both necessary in carpentry and supports the reason why that should be an artisan guild ability. However, forging is a hard and time consuming ability to build so I believe there should be other useful things that can be done with the general category. I believe that metal buttons, buckles, knobs and barrel bands should be added under the general category to be used in the manner I described above. I mentioned in a previous post that perhaps artisan made armor should be light or more resistant to add some need for player made armor in game. Perhaps any forged armor should be more resistant, but the artisan made armor should be slightly lighter as an artisan forging advance. So the player made armor would be the same weight as the store bought armor but more resistant than the store bought armor. However the artisan made armor should be more resistant and lighter than any other armor available. I believe I have given more than enough ideas in this one post and I hope some of these things can be seriously considered. I am not sure how much work it would take to implement these ideas, and I do appreciate all the effort that has been put into the game as a whole. It is not my goal to make the artisan guild super powerful, but to give people more reasons to have primary characters as artisans.
sona

Re: Ideas for the artisan guild, or not!

Post by sona »

Some quick ideas:

Woodworking exclusives:
-Sleigh bed
-four-poster bed
-recurve bow
-herb box
-fishing pole
-bookshelf
-banquet table
-wardrobe
-armoire
-cupboard

Leatherworking:
-Courbouilli
-Brigandine
-Quilted leather
-Ankle sheath
-Arm Sheath

I also like the specialty farming/cooking options.The above are also nice, just throwing in a few thoughts for artisan exclusive ideas.
Barius

Post by Barius »

crystal2014 wrote:I have been given more thought to what kinds of things...

Your posts are really hard to read when they get long. Paragraphs, please?
Sleilax

Post by Sleilax »

I have been given more thought to what kinds of things can be done to make an artisan a more appealing character, and here are some of the things I have come up with. First, farming, I think that artisan should have seeds that aren’t available to other players. This will give new artisans something sellable to other players from the beginning. These things can include green, yellow and red peppers, grapes, sweet potatoes and celery, for example.

I believe if an artisan sticks with farming and gains master farmer perhaps this artisan should be allowed to plant fruit trees. It is nice that keth offer fruits for sale in that shop, but if artisans could grow fruits such as lemons, pineapples, mangos, and other fruits like that, this would also give them a commodity that can only be obtained through an artisan. Then the players should be able to make things like lemon marang pie, stuff pineapples etc.

I am glad to see the tree preserve open, but we need some more trees that perhaps aren’t offered anywhere else in game. Since we have the logging ability, can some or all of the following trees be added to the tree preserve?! Black ash, white ash, yellow birch, black cherry, red maple, sugar maple, red oak, white oak, red spruce, white spruce, black walnut, mahogany, ebony, teak, rosewood, redwood and cypress.

I have mentioned that the leather goods are coming out to be heavier than the store bought items perhaps this warrants another look, please. If possible can we be able to forge metal buttons and buckles and things like that? These items can be used, by artisans only, in making leather goods.

I wanted to mention the possibility of carpentry being added to the artisan guild as an ability. We have the logging ability so it would seem that carpentry should follow this. Perhaps the prerequisite to apprentice carpentry should be master logger. With master carpentry the artisan should be given the ability to make furniture pieces that are not available to anyone else. Things such as vanity tables, writing desk instead of just desk, steam trunks instead of just chest, hat stands instead of just coat trees, four-poster beds instead of just beds, end and kitchen table instead of just tables, handcrafted casks instead of just casks.

Perhaps we can also forge different types of metal bands that could be added to the barrels to make them unique. So an artisan made barrel would be an exquisite rosewood barrel with a burgundy gold band. I love what has been done with forging at this point; however, here are some other things that I think could be added to make forging more necessary in game. Forging general, well the only really useful things that can be made under this category are nails, hinges, and hoops, which are both necessary in carpentry and supports the reason why that should be an artisan guild ability. However, forging is a hard and time consuming ability to build so I believe there should be other useful things that can be done with the general category. I believe that metal buttons, buckles, knobs and barrel bands should be added under the general category to be used in the manner I described above.

I mentioned in a previous post that perhaps artisan made armor should be light or more resistant to add some need for player made armor in game. Perhaps any forged armor should be more resistant, but the artisan made armor should be slightly lighter as an artisan forging advance. So the player made armor would be the same weight as the store bought armor but more resistant than the store bought armor. However the artisan made armor should be more resistant and lighter than any other armor available.

I believe I have given more than enough ideas in this one post and I hope some of these things can be seriously considered. I am not sure how much work it would take to implement these ideas, and I do appreciate all the effort that has been put into the game as a whole. It is not my goal to make the artisan guild super powerful, but to give people more reasons to have primary characters as artisans.
I made it a bit easier to read. Indentations don't seem to work though.
Barius

Post by Barius »

crystal2014 wrote:I am glad to see the tree preserve open, but we need some more trees that perhaps aren’t offered anywhere else in game. Since we have the logging ability, can some or all of the following trees be added to the tree preserve?! Black ash, white ash, yellow birch, black cherry, red maple, sugar maple, red oak, white oak, red spruce, white spruce, black walnut, mahogany, ebony, teak, rosewood, redwood and cypress.
As far as I know, most if not all of these are already in-game aside from rosewood, and the rest are variations on what is already present. We'd be asking Rias to revamp the entire tree system to fit in things like variations on oak, spruce, maple, etc. Although admittedly I have no idea how simple or complicated a revamp might be.
Lae

Post by Lae »

I like the idea of artisans having easier and cheaper access to the materials that they use for their craft. I'm not terribly fond of them being absolutely exclusive. Especially if new types of trees were to become available.

If there is to be some exclusivity, I would rather it be in the abilities and things that can be made from the materials in the world. As it stands, if an artisan gets really good at thier trade the things they make will be a lot better than if you were to get it from Joe Smo, who happened to take up woodworking.

I look forward to the continued discussion here and in the other thread. I think a lot of good ideas for perks and for abilities will come from them. I'd love to see more ideas for tasks for the artisans, I find that a lot of monotony in the grind to climb a guild can be broken by some well thought out tasks and jobs.
http://i.imgur.com/SuO0Fej.gif
[FROM Rias (OOC)]: Jaster can now pick the lock on your bathroom door. I don't want any more details on that bug report.
You ask, "Are we there yet?"
Bryce angrily says, "I will turn this horse RIGHT AROUND."
Speaking to you, Jaster exclaims, "Compassion, Sister Lae!"
Skjotur

Post by Skjotur »

Let them build their own logging sawmills and mining camps so Dunwyr can burn them down.

Ha ha.

Here are some nicer suggestions.

-System generated contracts. Have a board that lists a bunch of clients and what they want. Blacksmith is behind on his orders and needs 10 swords. Wealthy individual wants a set of ruby earrings, a gold necklace, and an emerald ring.
-Special leather tanning process that makes leather armor a little more durable.
-Gear fitting. Let's say you have a suit of leather armor. Bring it to a master leathercrafter artisan and they measure you and then they can fit that set of armor to you. It then causes less encumbrance and less stealth penalty when worn by you specifically.
-Custom weapon orders and balancing. You don't just get a sword of superior quality, you get a sword that's balanced exactly how you like it. The artisan hands you a bunch of different swords and gets your input on what you like and don't like about them, then takes all this into account when they make their next sword. When you use this sword made specifically for you, your rolls are a little higher. Other people who use it won't get the bonus, just the person who ordered it. When you examine it, it says "The weapon is balanced perfectly for your personal style."
-Master smelting. Superior smelting processes gives you better quality metals. Using these better quality metals increases the durability of things made from it.
-Metallurgy. Make a special type of metal that is extra strong and sharp. Not a whole lot, but enough to give them an edge on steel or cobalt. Make the alloy require a rare component or have a high chance of getting ruined on creation.
-Armor Augmenting. Take a piece of armor and try to augment it, increasing the quality a little. This can only be done once to an item.
-Component salvaging. Let's say you make an axe from your exquisite haft and masterful head but you flub the roll and it comes out average. Dammit. But with salvaging you have a chance to salvage that masterful axe head and use it again. There's only a chance so it can't be used over and over again forever.
-Create advanced farm tools. Make ploughs and other farming equipment I don't know about because I know nothing about farming. This can speed up farming work.
-Create irrigation. If there is a field near a river, creek, lake or other thing like that, an artisan with farming specialization of some kind sets up irrigation. Now the field is always watered and you don't have to worry about that anymore. It should need maintenance now and then, otherwise it stops working.
-Create herbicide. Then you can put the herbicide on your field and it will slow weed growth and maybe even kill weaker weeds, doing some of the work for you over time.
-Create fertilizer. It's not just animal crap. It's a special fertilizer devised by the Coalition. Easy to make so the expense or effort doesn't outweigh the benefit. Apply it to a field to make the crops grow a little faster. There could be a weaker kind that is sold in shops to everyone, while artisans can make a stronger and more effective kind if they want to take the time.
-Create advanced fishing pole. I don't know much about fishing so this could be stupid. But the idea of some kind of advanced fishing pole over just a stick with some line tied to it. Lines snap less often and increases rishing rolls. But the pole needs to be repaired sometimes or it breaks.
-Create advanced fishing hook. Again I don't know much about fishing but some kind of special barbed hook that makes it harder for fish to get away might be possible. If a line snaps the hook is lost, and you have to attach a new one.
sona

Post by sona »

My arguments for making them exclusive is that artisans dedicate themselves to making a huge variety of things that hobby crafters could not without literal years and years of experience. Please let the artisans have more exclusive stuff that players can come to us for. After all, the other guilds -all- have a slew of exclusive abilities that are more than simple roll bonuses. If we're not going to make artisan crafts exclusive, can we make all those combat powers/magics non-exclusive too, to make it a bit more fair for the guild please? (This sounds unreasonable, because I think it is. Which is why I am asking for more artisan exclusivity. Please let us be more than "a more dedicated crafter than a brofist/claw/udemi/utasa/mercenary").

Return to “Artisans”