Propose Guild Name Change

Artisans of the Western Coalition, specializing in resource-gathering and crafting.
Skah

Propose Guild Name Change

Post by Skah »

tldr; change guild name from "Traders Guild" to "Crafters Guild"

Hey All,

It seems like the vast majority of trader abilities have to do with special crafting techniques. Many trader chars do no real trading as such. Real guilds, in the Medieval and early Industrial age, were generally grouped around particular trades, where they would share knowledge and attempt to collude on the price of goods and labor. Generally traders, factors and the like actually competed with one another and didn't really form guilds in the same way.

I think The Coalition Crafters guild would be a more accurate name than Traders. It's more descriptive of the actual skills and what people do, it's more period-accurate, and it might give new players a better feel for what they're getting into. This isn't a big deal for me or anything, as I rarely play my "trader". It's just a suggestion.
baerden

Re: Propose Guild Name Change

Post by baerden »

Artisans
Skah

Post by Skah »

Artisans is also good.

Edit: I think I still prefer crafters to artisans, as it's a broader and more widely used term. Either is better than Trader in my opinion.
Last edited by Skah on Wed May 07, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I've suggested this multiple times. I'm all for it.
The lore compels me!
Vitello

Post by Vitello »

Sounds reasonable. Do all the professions fall under such label? Like the basic resource gatherers?

Laborers? Union? Mercantile Alliance? Really it is a rather broad group if you consider all the skills.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

My favorite has always been Laborers' Union, because most (all) members of this guild that I've observed do all the basic material gathering as well as the crafting.
The lore compels me!
Skah

Post by Skah »

I think some players might find the term laborer pejorative (I don't). It can mean just a worker, but it also can mean someone who works for wages (Traders don't, really), or a member of a trade union (which it's not, see next paragraph).

I prefer Guild to Union because it does seem like a guild, with structured ranks (apprentice, journeyman, master), trade secrets, etc. When I think of laborer's union it sounds like some sort of farmer's collective bargaining organization.

I still prefer Laborer's Union to Trader's Guild, though!
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

I'm all for this as well even if I have zero interest in ever creating a trader character.

Name ideas:
Mercantile's Union (Terrible since it's just another word for trader or trading)
Craftsman's Association
Artison's Union of the Western Coalition

I suspect anything with the word "labor" in it will be taken a little negatively since you know...it's work.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
Methiur

Post by Methiur »

Same as Jill in regards to creating an alt. But I specifically think Artisans is the way to go
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Guild name is now officially "Artisans of the Western Coalition", with Rithiel's blessing.
The lore compels me!

Return to “Artisans”