Wavebending

The agent branch of Tse Gaiyan.
KianTheArcher

Wavebending

Post by KianTheArcher »

Wavebending

I've been doing a small amount of research on Light and Sound, trying to think of a way to justify Wavebending in terms of scientific possibility. I don't have a strong physics background (I'm a geology student), but I think I have the basic ideas down behind light and sound.

That being said, it would (to me) make more sense for the manipulation of Light (called Lightbending from here on out) and Sound (Soundbending) to be split into two seperate abilities, Lightbending and Soundbending respectively. The reason being Light and Sound are two entirely different kinds of energy.

Light
Light is a kind of eletromagnetic radiation. So the bending of light implies a (minor) ability to give off and manipulate electricity, but then that could easily be explained by the fact that the human body is surrounded by it's own electromagnetic field. I guess then, that Lightbending would just be the control of the local light by "flexing" one's electromagnetic "aura" in the same way that Elemancers can influence the local "magic field" to manipulate the elements. Same principle, just apply it to light, with a different medium (which also satisfies the explanation of why Elemancers can't do Wavebending, two different techniques and field interactions). This doesn't totally explain spells such as Utasa's Beacon, which create light. For that, I propose the requirement of a reagent, similar to how many of the Sorcery spells require souls.

I thought this could come in one of two ways. Firstly is by having phospohorescent materials (minerals mostly) available, and used up when casting such a spell. The second idea is something similar to the Blood Talisman. A special Prism Utasa can store light in by a new command 'weave'. Using 'weave' draws light from the surrounding area, storing it in the prism, making the room darker for a short period of time.

Sound
Sound is mechanical energy. It's typically a sequence of waves of pressure being propagaed through a compressible media, IE air or water. As such, it would take different techniques to bend sound, versus bending light. This would imply either a psychokinetic/telekinetic ability directly related to sound, or (more likely) a technique related to aeromancy, and perhaps even descended from aeromancy. As such, it would be using the local magic field (or whatever our explanation for aeromancy working), but specfically to generate waves of pressure by compressing the air in specific patterns and sequences.

All of this being said, I came up with these ideas primarily because the two forms are different. This also majorly would change the Utasa abilities (which I'm sure Rias and Rithiel probably wouldn't like) in that in order to get a flashbang, you would need to bend sound AND light simulatneously. I think it would make a bit more sense overall, especially since Rias was saying he wasn't sure how the manipulation could work in general.
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate
Reynard

Post by Reynard »

Long story short: they are both waves.

edited to add:
My mind is kind of mush right now. I'm finding it hard to explain things.
If it helps, look up things like diffraction, refraction, and resonance.
Last edited by Reynard on Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-> put meat in pan
You can't put anything inside the pants.
Utasa Agent 0102

Post by Utasa Agent 0102 »

It looks like Utasa Agents have been needing a little more attention for a while now. The problem seems to be that the head GM in charge of the Tse Gaiyan has been absent in that great big world of real life. Sadly, this can happen to any of us but in the meantime there has been little to no progression for my lowly guild. I have previously posted a few ideas but we'll see how it turns out.

Anyways, in regards to lightbending and soundbending. I think they are both called wavebending for the sheer sake of convenience. Plus Utasa have a hard enough time (or at least I do) channeling just one spell. If I had my way I would like to see Utasa become a cross between a thief and a combat illusionist who specialize in covert surveillance, firearms and fencing.

Return to “Utasa”