Rites of Passage

The ranger branch of Tse Gaiyan.
Vinz

Rites of Passage

Post by Vinz »

I know we have begun to do some smaller things now for our up and coming druids that our older druids are now getting a chance to play at, but i wondered what peoples thoughts and ideas were for having there be specific rites of passages as druids progress through their life.

One of the most interesting things about the way Clok handles its abilities is that you can do them in almost any order, so your path truly is your path. I'd like to see there begin to develop rites and rituals around some mile stones, but beyond the most obvious i am having trouble deciding on them!

I thought i would reach out to you all to see if you had anything in mind!

At the moment all we are settled with is the "Rite of Communion" which is when a druid learns their first ranks of druidry. A few players (Cullen, Aleari, Lacie, Fayne, Tarnel and maybe a few more) have either gone through it or performed it on another's behalf. Hopefully we can have a lot more of these kinds of things!

Share your ideas!
-*- GM Vinz -*-
Haite says, " ...Diamonds are also hard, really really freaking hard."
merin
CLOK Patron

Re: Rites of Passage

Post by merin »

Write of entry:
You have to perform a ritual in order to obtain the ability to channel the gaea in the first place.
blindndangerous

Post by blindndangerous »

I kinda wanna know more about this. Thinking about it, it makes sense I suppose because when you get tangle you get access to both, but kind of curious how that would go. I'll think on this, and if I come up with anything vinz will post here. Loving the rituals though, wish cullen coulda had one, but happy to help out with other peoples's ones.
A towering white-furred snow yeti exclaims, "Oog!"
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

I think Minor Taming would be one thag requires a ritual, or Major taming definitely if we ever get it. That could be the answer to balance we're looking for for a Major Taming ability; it could require a ritual any time you want to gain an animal companion, that way the choises of animal companions could be monitored as they are gained, and it has a reasonable IC explaination as to why it fsils to work if your animal friend is constantly dying; I doubt the Gaea will call out for an animal friend for you if you keep getting them all killed.

I also like the idea of every 5 ranks needing a Rite of Passage ritual that strengthens your connection with the Gaea and symbolizes personal growth within the organization. And then we could have one more for when you learn the last skill.
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
blindndangerous

I like the idea of a ritual if you're going for druidic connection, as well as the mining/major taming abilities as well.
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

I just thought of another ritual. Why not, instead of having the pendants for Utasa to hear the Gaea buyable, why not make it so that the Udemi must perform a ritual and create a unique pendant for each Utasa in the form of whatever plant we "sense" they are closest to? The plant (which could be a wildflower or herb or stick or a wooden carving made of a specific type of wood) would be kept fresh and alive through its connection with the Gaea, it would be less conspicuous than the pendants they have now (so it fits the "secret agent" feel), and it's a bit cooler than just "Oh yeah, here, there's a hunk of wood to hear the Gaea through." Plus it's strengthen the bond between Udemi and Utasa, AND it would be a sort of "Rite of Passage" for Utasa, since you're not just gonna hand over that pendant to any new scrub fresh from the streets (I hope).
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
Tangela
CLOK Patron

Post by Tangela »

I agree that a ritual when we get taming abilities would be a great way IC to monitor animal companions, as well as provide a chance for character development. Aleari' call sign ritual, both the one when she received her call sign from Lacie, and the one where she and Cullen lead Tarnel through his, were some of the most memorable experiences in-game. I'd love to help out with those more, if there is a need.
As for other milestone rituals, maybe having a smaller ritual every couple abilities would be a good way to do it, particularly important abilities like druidic connection getting their own bigger rituals.

A mentor/mentee relationship might be another way to do it, where each druid has one or 2 primary senior druids they're learning from. That way, people who like the rituals can choose a teacher who values them and wants to lead them, and those who are less concerned with rping them don't have to. Also, it seems like certain abilities might be more important to a druid depending on his/her path, so each druid could get rituals for the most important things to them, except for a few bigger more open rituals, the milestone rituals I suppose.
Vinz

Post by Vinz »

This would most definitely be the way to go with things. I like this idea the best the only trouble is I personally don't want to have to keep track of it all. If people within the organization want to establish a basis for accepting and recruiting mentees and who is eligible to be a mentor, I'd be all over giving you folks (within reason of course) whatever is needed. I would really like to see more people sitting down to explain what the Gaea is. What they have witnessed, whats going on, etc to new members. We have a lot on our plate (And I'm working rather hard on making sure we have a few thing news coming up.) that it would be cool if more of our new folks were up to speed.

It would be great if someone tried to more or less formalize some of the rites of passage while still giving someone unique flair to add to the ritual. For instance with a wedding, the only two parts that matter are the vows and exchanging of rings, but people do all sorts of interesting and weird things in between. Writing an IC book of rituals would be -amazing-!
-*- GM Vinz -*-
Haite says, " ...Diamonds are also hard, really really freaking hard."
blindndangerous

From what I've seen, a bit of this is already happening. I need to do a bit more of this myself really, get my character talking to other newer members.
Alicia

Post by Alicia »

I have come to haunt your nightmares and resurrect this semi-dead topic.

I love this idea.

1) To go from rank 9>10 need a rite of passage done by those who can do it. Rank 10 should be the point at which you've been around awhile, you now have some weight within the Udemi and it is time to break down and teach you everything about the Resen you'll ever need to know. Best way to do that? Why Ritual of course!

1.A) You go to ask a promotion from rank 9>10, the GMs get a ping and a mail is automatically sent to any PCs that are allowed to perform Rites letting everyone know you've become ready for the Resen Ritual.

1.B) The ritual: The idea is partially stripped off a game or a movie or book I read once. You are taken to the ritual cave, and explained that something very strange is going to happen, voodoo woodoo hoodoo, herbs.. and then a liquid poultice made out of infested flesh, comfrey, atlas stem and arnica. Ground up and mixed with a few splashes of restorative draft, it is sipped from a small wooden bowl.

1.C) And off into weirdo past land you go. In your dream/trance like state you find yourself back near the beginning of it all, given a run through of the history of the Tse Gaiyana's fight with the infested with a series of cryptic, violent flashes of vision and sound and sensations. The performer of the Rite is with you in voice, guiding you along, telling you the history as well which is helping shape your hallucinations. ---No mechanical benefits whatso ever (except well being able to move up to Rank 10+)

Idea #2) Major taming-- RP only receive-- Once you've gotten over the rank 10 hump, save up an ability point and find a Rites person! You shall go out into the woods and seek out a physical companion to your spirit self! Before you go, your friendly Rites master paints your face, fills your belly with questionable liquid herbs, douses you in the smoke of comfrey and rosemary, and off you go on hallucination city while you hunt for your physical companion! Either have a GM participate or send in a log for approval! GMs look it over, and if they agree the RP was worth it, they deduct your ability point and code up your new animal companion! Different companions provide different things, up to GM discretion here because most of the things I could think of appear to be on the "never list" (like predatory birds being able to seek someone out and after an amount of time based on distance report their location which might change based on the amount of time it took for the bird to return but hey, scrying is a no-no here apparently)
Barius

Post by Barius »

While I like the idea of rites in general, I don't think they should become roadblocks in your ranking progress. Though I don't know if something like this already exists in the game or not, it seems arbitrary and there are plenty of opportunities for rites of passage without something like this. Rites while learning certain abilities I can support, though.

Return to “Udemi”