Minor Taming misfires

The ranger branch of Tse Gaiyan.
clayton

Minor Taming misfires

Post by clayton »

taming rejection
The chance of the animal rejecting the attempt to tame them is a nice possibility that I see what just recently added.
There is a problem however. Once the spell fails on that creature, subsequent attempts also fail. This shouldn't happen one hundred percent of the time, and especially if the person doing the taming has multiple channels of druidry going. It should also not happen 100 hundred percent of the time when the animal is asleep.
I have encountered this on a bison, which I would expect to have a much stronger resistance to the minor taming spell, as it usually takes three channels of druidry to have the spell succeed in taming it. However, even after hibernation was used to render the bison asleep and the minor taming spell was cast, it still resisted and became hostile, especially after rejecting it the first time.
Ok, so if one comes to the conclusion that, perhaps some bison are just immune to the minor taming cast, how do you apply that reasoning to a skunk. Skunks are small creatures, certainly smaller than a big bad bison. Yet, the same scenario happened with that skunk. The spell backfires, the skunk becomes hostile. No problem... hibernate it. Whether it's simply calmed, or if it's put to sleep, the spell still backfires.

Conclusion... when the spell fails once on that creature, it's doomed to fail every single time, the way it seems to be set up now. I can understand the spell failing, and I can understand it failing a few times in consecutive order, but every single time, once it's failed initially?
If that's the case, there's going to be animals everywhere going after those who attempted to tame them and failed. That will ultimately make the minor taming spell useless. Who wants a forest full of angry animals. I sure don't, but the spell also comes in handy, so we must come to a compromise.

Hughe
Rias
Lore Hermit

Re: Minor Taming misfires

Post by Rias »

How resistant an animal is to taming isn't at all related to its size.

Now, not that this is completely accurate, because animals don't think like humans do, but look at it this way:

Druid: "Hey bison, I need your loyalty."
Bison: "No. I'm not interested."
Druid: "Hey bison, I said I need your loyalty!"
Bison: "I already said no. Now You're just trying to force me to be your servant, so I'm going to physically resist you at this point, because it's clear you're just going to keep trying to take over my mind and willpower until you succeed."

So, instead of trying to repeatedly compel these critters to serve you against their will, try leaving them alone if they turn down your initial request. Go look for a different one, or come back later when the first you tried it on might be in a more willing mood.
The lore compels me!
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

So sad one has to put an animal to sleep to get a friend. :(
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
clayton

Post by clayton »

Hey Rias. I do like your explanation, but the problem is this:
When the spell "backfires", the creature is instantly aggressive and attempts to come after you to injure you. So it's not like it says "no way buddy I don't want to join you" and that's that. Ok, fair enough, it doesn't want to aid me in any way, so you just hibernate it to calm it down or put it to sleep and go away. That's a good alternative I've found, but the only problem is, you're not removed from the hate list after a period of time, like an hour, or twelve hours, or twenty-four hours... whatever. You're there permanently. So to come back later on and try again isn't realistic, at least not yet.
I realize this is a new feature just added so modifications need to be made. If the person who failed to get the creature on their side can be removed from the creature's hate list after a period of time, that would be super.
Other than that, I like the reaction. The animals have every right to reject your desire to have them aid you in whatever you want their help with.

Hughe
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

They only get angry if you try to tame them a second time after failing once. The solution is to not try taming the same creature multiple times - if it doesn't work the first time, leave the poor creature alone or risk its wrath.
The lore compels me!

Return to “Udemi”