The (nonexistance of) Lore Surrounding the Immortals

Cissin

The (nonexistance of) Lore Surrounding the Immortals

Post by Cissin »

I just wanted to ask everyone and see what everyone else thinks. If there is not really any lore to be found about a certain Immortal, should a player come up with their own lore surrounding that Immortal, based on other real-world religions? My opinion is that that may actually be the best way to develop lore for an Immortal in the first place, seeing as how that's basically how most religions formed in the first place. Though I've never actually seen anything like this in any game or anything else, so I'm not too sure how it would work out. Actually, I take that back - I saw one game that had a joke religion set up around a certain immortal mule. But that's beside the point. What do you guys think?
Vitello

Re: The (nonexistance of) Lore Surrounding the Immortals

Post by Vitello »

Interesting and a I applaud the intention to flesh out the game world. It wouldn't fit well here in my experience. Rias always had strict concepts to things and wouldn't tolerate variation to the parameters. It could be a different story with Jirato leading things now.
Vitello - Ton - Shirinya - Alwaren
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

I designed the Immortals as vague and unsure on purpose. It was by design that nobody knew for sure if they were actually a thing, or what about them was truth and what was fiction. (See: Religion) What I was always very strict about was the game's reality adhering to lore. People could believe whatever they wanted about the Immortals (and some characters have came up with some very neat ideas and concepts in the past), they just shouldn't expect it to be officially supported. Your character can believe that Vodr was a mighty storm dragon and that your character is his descendant with magical storm dragon blood running through his veins, but that isn't going to make those things true.

Of course, I also would have been pretty intolerant of wildly off-the-mark things, like a Serafina cult dedicated to torture and death, or someone who said Nereia was a goddess of barren deserts, because why take an Immortal with an established major concept and say they're something that goes contrary to or has nothing to do with that concept?
The lore compels me!
Cissin

Post by Cissin »

Rias wrote:What I was always very strict about was the game's reality adhering to lore. People could believe whatever they wanted about the Immortals (and some characters have came up with some very neat ideas and concepts in the past), they just shouldn't expect it to be officially supported. Your character can believe that Vodr was a mighty storm dragon and that your character is his descendant with magical storm dragon blood running through his veins, but that isn't going to make those things true.
So I can basically say anything (that doesn't contradict the established lore) as long as it doesn't establish that an event in the game world happened that affects the players? I mean, obviously I can't say anything that follows these rules, but as long as it's reasonable?
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

As Vitello mentioned, Jirato is leading things now. I don't have any authority around here, so I wouldn't feel comfortable answering as though I did.
The lore compels me!
Cissin

Post by Cissin »

Alright, thank you for your insight, Rias.
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

The immortals are defined in the deep, internal lore. However, what is made public is intentionally vague and you are free to interpret it how you wish. As Rias, I would also be peeved if you tried to totally pervert it and make it into something completely contradictory to the general immortal's theme, but other than that, go nuts. People might look at you funny, but it's a personal thing.

I strongly dislike fantasy religion, ritual, and general occult themes. This is one aspect of the game I'm not really looking to expand any.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Been thinking about this a lot over the last several days, and a discussion with Lassyn just now brought it up again. I think I kinda probably turned a lot of people off with the final statement in my last post. That wasn't my intent.

CLOK is always going to have that kinda stuff, because it's a fantasy game. And I will support it. I know a ton of deep lore about all the major immortals and their back stories, and I've got Rias on speed dial for what I don't know. What we have established, I will continue to support. I'm NOT saying they're just going to fade away and any pursuit of immortal related play is going to turn me sour or anything like that.

All I really mean by my statement earlier is I don't necessarily feel comfortable adding NEW lore in that regard. Who knows though, I probably will at some point. I'll need to get over my uncomfortable-ness sooner or later.

Heck, I'm the guru for one of the creepiest and most uncomfortable parts of the game, and I do have plans to continue it.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

Return to “General world discussion”