geography of Grum

ydia

geography of Grum

Post by ydia »

I'm curious what is the geography of Grum like? Is it flat, mountains, combination etc. Also what is the weather like?
You overhear the bartender exclaim to a patron, "What do you mean, you just want water?! Fine, fine ... but you'd better at least buy something to eat."
ydia

Re: geography of Grum

Post by ydia »

bump.
You overhear the bartender exclaim to a patron, "What do you mean, you just want water?! Fine, fine ... but you'd better at least buy something to eat."
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Grum is quite a big place, so it has a whole mix of geography, terrain, and weather.

The eastern two-thirds of the northern section borders Nuum and its desert, so it's pretty desolate and badlandsy. Some is flat, some is hilly, some small rocky mountains.

The further west in Grum you go, the more green and fertile it gets, with grasslands and forests. Of course, it runs up against the mountains in the west/northwest eventually - the Spine Mountains, which roughly bisect the entire continent and are immensely tall. The one pass that used to lead through the Spine Mountains into Aetgard is now sealed by a seemingly permanent glacier that pretty much everyone agrees is unnatural. The more open southwest used to lead to Karnath, but the Quarantine Wall was built there when the plague struck the west, so that's blocked off, too. They keep a small naval patrol south of the wall so people don't just sail around the wall at the coast.

Central Grum is mostly drier. A lot of it is semiarid and open. Near the very center of the place is a small cluster of mountains, and further east is a smaller mountain range and rocky hills. The area between and north of those mountains is fairly dry, flat, and open, but not too inhospitable.

The southern parts are along the coast, which is always fun. The land there is fairly pleasant and green. And yay for beaches!

The southeastern area bordering Ivial and Tol Rhun is fairly nice, with some grasslands, woodlands, and some hills, but it's also fairly damp, rainy, and sort of overall bleak over there with some marshes and swamps.

I'd say the ideal places for people to live in Grum would definitely be in the western third of the country, and then the southeast after that. The northern borders are not a happy place, due both to the barren desert terrain as well as the fact that it's the border of Nuum, and Grum and Nuum do not get along well at all. I imagine prejudices run high in those areas, and I wouldn't be surprised if the occasional fights, raids, or skirmishes occur (mostly with the Nuum as the aggressors, though I wouldn't say there are never any Grummers who take the initiative to harass or raid their neighbors, too).

Does that help?

Uh, rivers. I'm sure there are rivers (and lakes) in there somewhere. I just never thought about where they were. Sorry.
The lore compels me!
ydia

Post by ydia »

Yes this is fantastic! Thank you!
sona

Post by sona »

Yay! It's always awesome to hear about Sona's beloved home land. Send manuals of ship building, engineering, etc. Please. Sona misses educated scientists, engineers, etc.

Return to “General world discussion”