Fishing Wiki - is the advice there bad?

Lemuel

Fishing Wiki - is the advice there bad?

Post by Lemuel »

If you look at the article at

http://wiki.contrarium.net/index.php/Fishing

it states among the tips:
...Next, locate a suitable spot to fish. Example: The fishing dock near the scarecrow farms.
Will this advice get a character in trouble with the Scarecrows? I remember being advised by a player not to fish there, I would be trespassing and cause a catastrophe upon Shadgard.
- locksmith Lemuel 'I do all my own stunts.'

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Zoiya

Post by Zoiya »

That is an IC observation. Plenty of people have fished there in the past and have avoided the scarecrows and have had no problems. Just because something doesn't agree with your IC world does not mean the information is bad. You can practice fishing at the dock in the scarecrow farms.
[CHAT - Lil' Skittles GM Zoiya escalates quickly]: *hugs Kent*
[CHAT - Kent "Gunney" Gunderman]: *gingerly hugs back*
[CHAT - Grandmaster Ardor will be NOM'd by a drakolin]: You can give Zoiya a bearhug Kent, she can handle it.
Lemuel

Post by Lemuel »

I was wondering, mainly, if a newcomer saw that wiki and went to that dock, if that would cause problems. I take it you are saying, no, it would not.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

There is a sign outside the scarecrow area warning against entry. It's up to players to decide where they will or will not go and IC a player would be held responsible for observing such things. There are plenty of places to fish. Just because the scarecrow lake is used as an example doesn't mean it is the only place available and it doesn't mean someone won't be held accountable for any scarecrows they disturb while in those areas.
Zoiya

Post by Zoiya »

Keep in mind, the wiki says that it is a place to practice fishing. It doesn't say that it is a *safe* place to practice fishing.
[CHAT - Lil' Skittles GM Zoiya escalates quickly]: *hugs Kent*
[CHAT - Kent "Gunney" Gunderman]: *gingerly hugs back*
[CHAT - Grandmaster Ardor will be NOM'd by a drakolin]: You can give Zoiya a bearhug Kent, she can handle it.
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

You should fish at red lake.
Speaking to Garith, you exclaim, "Ban' baaan'!"
Lemuel

Post by Lemuel »

I think it in bad form to advise a newcomer to fish somewhere that has such huge repercussions. This is more than just an infested raccoon jumping out at them.

Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

There's a difference between advice and examples, Lemuel. Most people don't know where the scarecrow lake is when they first start and if they asked about fishing would be directed elsewhere anyway.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

It used to be the only place to fish in the game, that's probably why it's there as an example. If you think it's bad, change it. I go fishing there and I've never gotten into trouble, if a scarecrow shows up I just leave. I'm not gonna run all the way to Mistral Lake just to catch some fish.
ask jes for date
The horse thief Jessie doesn't seem too interested in talking about that.

Return to “General world discussion”