Dissipation inconsistencies, and a compromise

The manipulation of fire, earth, air, and water.
Orris

Dissipation inconsistencies, and a compromise

Post by Orris »

I am taking a risk here, but here goes...

There are dissipation inconsistencies with elemancy. Freezing water was nerfed so that it no longer freezes enemies in ice because of this law that elements dissipate. Hitting people with hydro casts also does not leave them drenched, same reason. But mud casts leave them muddy. Lava, acid, and boiling water will damage over time for several seconds after the cast. The fog spells leave the room foggy for several seconds after the cast. Ash clouds stay for several seconds after the cast.

So what about a compromise? We can say that either the elements don't dissipate immediately but over time. Or we can say that the cast comes with an infusion of energy for the elements to last long enough for those spell effects, but can't last extended durations. Or make it so they don't dissipate at all if you keep channeling, but that might be overpowered.

So what I'm saying is, let me drench and encase people in ice again please!
While planning a trip to the haunted galleon with a bunch of people on ESP...
[FROM Vinz (OOC)]: what are the nether called on that pirate ship again?
[TO Vinz (OOC)]: I'm scared to tell you...
[FROM Vinz (OOC)]: DO-IT >:)
Orris

Re: Dissipation inconsistencies, and a compromise

Post by Orris »

If we want to be sticklers it could require an extra ability. Infusion Pattern: Infuse extra structure and energy into a conjuration, allowing conjured elements to remain for a few moments after a casting. Without it, the things like lava and acid and boiling water wouldn't do damage over time, mud would dissipate, and ash clouds would just be a single immediate burst of their power against everyone in the room. And fog just wouldn't really do anything I guess...
Vitello

Post by Vitello »

Sounds like all the duration spells are multi channel. So why not just make hydro only drench with 2 or more hydromancy channels?
Vitello - Ton - Shirinya - Alwaren
Orris

Post by Orris »

I would settle for that as well!
Lun
CLOK Patron

Post by Lun »

Yeah,, I like the dissipation with single channel hyromancy because of the whole deconstruction of magic thing. Having greater control over the elements could feed into more permanency and greater effects for higher tiers, though!
Tamsin

Post by Tamsin »

Yes!! Higher level pyromancy channeling should light people on fire!
Lun
CLOK Patron

Post by Lun »

suffocation damage for aeromancy!
Dakhal

Post by Dakhal »

Random explosions on the caster per cast, in the event of critical fails!
Love me or hate me, both are in my favor. If you love me, I'll always be in your heart. If you hate me, I'll always be in your mind.
I lead a Life of Sin.
Tamsin

Post by Tamsin »

(offtopic)
Dakhal wrote:Random explosions on the caster per cast, in the event of critical fails!
Assassins should be able to accidentally stab themselves in the eye too!
Lun
CLOK Patron

Post by Lun »

Dwaedyn Wyr throw themselves iiin the event of critical fails!
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

Fecalmancy and persistent poo piles for ultimate hurlability!
Noctere
Coder

Post by Noctere »

I am a little reluctant to answer questions or suggestions about elemancy. The reason being is that Rias, our lore master, is the main person who has designed all the theory behind them and even though we still remain in contact with him, the subject is still tricky to answer. Also please keep in mind that elemancy has always had a very tenuous existence in the world of CLOK and many times the idea has been pondered to remove it entirely but rather than deny our players what they have worked so hard for and its impact on the story that is CLOK, we decided to keep it.

With that in mind, it is true that there are still some slight lore gaps with the elemancy spells and rather than completely remove or re-write them we decided to let the little inconsistencies slide and allow our players to continue to enjoy them. From time to time we have fixed a few lore problems, such as the drenched or freezing effect from water but some small gaps will remain.

Also from a balance perspective, hydromancy is the most fleshed out of the 'mancys'. Rias put a lot of love into that branch and it shows. It is possible that the drenched or freeze effects may be added back in someday with a new special effect that I have been working on with another elemancy spell. It would require the caster to maintain their channeling for the freeze or drench to remain and would vanish the moment they lose the channel.
It's not easy being evil...
Craig

Post by Craig »

On the other hand requiring an ability would be consistent with the infused nether ability, though I know that elemancy and sorcery aren't the same thing.

Return to “Elemancy”