Roleplaying and Elemancy

The manipulation of fire, earth, air, and water.
Sozin

Roleplaying and Elemancy

Post by Sozin »

(Just registered! Hooray!)
Hi, first post. I play Sozin, a pyromancer (yes, inspired by Avatar, but I took the warning to keep everything CLOK related seriously!) who's kind of a serious guy who studies a lot, so he hangs out with the Headmistress a lot, but has (near insanity levels of) fun when he's fighting.

I read somewhere on the forum that "What the elemancer does is present a pattern and infuse their will to make that pattern be, and the "ambient matter" in turn will accommodate by forming into that pattern. Once the elemancer stops channeling their will, the ambient matter particles kind of go "Hang on, why were we doing that, again?" and the conjuration disassembles as the matter reverts back to its ambient state - hence why elemental conjurations dissipate once channeling has ceased."

So pyromancy seems to be very science based, utilizing "conjuring" patterns and modified patterns to make the conjured water, fire, air, or earth follow certain paths.

Will it be possible to submit ideas for patterns to be used?

RP Question:
Aside from mechanically being able to conjure fireballs in battle, is it also possible to manipulate fire in an RP way outside of battle? For example, if I were to channel pyromancy, can I RP manipulating it outside of battle? (Juggling a fireball, or exercises in pyromancing such as making my mage candle flare brighter.)

Part of what I do is I've been incorporating things like the mage candle into my roleplay, pretending it's reinforcing my magic. Is this allowed, even though it's not mechanically reinforcing my magic? As in, if it's not mechanically enforced, should I not do it?
Acarin

Re: Roleplaying and Elemancy

Post by Acarin »

Welcome to CLOK! If you have ideas, post away! GMs and DEV here love ideas to draw off of. It doesn't mean they'll all be implemented but it never hurts to throw some ideas out there.

As far as rp, as long as what you're rping that you're doing is not outside the scope of your abilities/elemancy and wouldn't impact anything mechanically, I don't see why not.

I've seen Zeel playing with globs of nether using act numerous times and it's never struck me as odd.

As far as rping making your mage candle brighter, I could see the rp if it was brief pulse that would not change room lighting, but not as much if you're rping that it's a sustained effect (as the room lighting wouldn't reflect it). But then... what do I know?
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Doing little emotes of things like cantrips (throwing a little fireball around, juggling it, or whatever) is cool. Having your mage candle reinforcing your magic, not so much. It's just a little flame that follows you around as a light source, it doesn't do anything else. It certainly has absolutely nothing in the way of sentience/being a familiar or anything like that, in case that's where you were leaning (not saying you were, just nipping that concept in the bud while I'm thinking about it).
The lore compels me!
Alicia

Post by Alicia »

Rias wrote:Doing little emotes of things like cantrips (throwing a little fireball around, juggling it, or whatever) is cool. Having your mage candle reinforcing your magic, not so much. It's just a little flame that follows you around as a light source, it doesn't do anything else. It certainly has absolutely nothing in the way of sentience/being a familiar or anything like that, in case that's where you were leaning (not saying you were, just nipping that concept in the bud while I'm thinking about it).
What about directing it? I roleplayed using my hand to make it hover instead of over my shoulder, up above the head of myself and the other person I was sitting with. Using obvious handmotions of course that showed I was directing the candle.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Yep, that's fine, Alicia.
The lore compels me!

Return to “Elemancy”