How?

The manipulation of fire, earth, air, and water.
Isiaa

How?

Post by Isiaa »

How do Elemancers conjure elements?
Drayla

Re: How?

Post by Drayla »

As far as I know, elemancers do not conjure elements, they simply manipulate what is already present. Theoretically this is something anyone could do with the proper training. Elemancy (and any other type of channeling for that matter) is less "magical" and more "scientific."
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

They do actually conjure the Elements, Drayla. As far as I know, at least. I don't recall that it's been explained how it works exactly on the forums, though. If if does and I remember/find it, I'll post a link on this thread.
“There is always a choice."
"You mean I could choose certain death?"
"A choice nevertheless, or perhaps an alternative. You see I believe in freedom. Not many people do, although they will of course protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.”
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

Lysse is correct. Elemancer are actually incapable of manipulating the elements. The elemental effects generated by a Elemancer are born from the Elemancer's will alone, because of this, once their will wavers, their elemental displays disappear utterly unless they mix with something stagnate.
An Elemancer who forges a large bolder and hurls it, will hit and crush the target with its weight, this bolder though disappears, leaving only dust in its wake once the Elemancer relaxes from that outburst. If a Elemancers were to forge mud, the layers of mud that mix with something that is stagnate and real, such as sand, will stay there to some extent, but the mud that is not thoroughly mixed with the real item, sand, will disappear.
I hope this helps visualize Elemancy
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Elemancers don't have much luck controlling existing elements. If you see a pool of water, you can't use hydromancy to make that specific water do neat tricks. If you see a lit torch, you can't use pyromancy to move that flame around or extinguish it.

What elemancers CAN do is construct their own pseudo-elements based on the "real thing". This still makes use of existing matter (no creation/destruction of matter, yadda yadda yadda), but on a tiny scale - it takes existing ambient matter and shapes it after a basic elemental pattern (fire, air, earth, water). This is frequently referred to as "conjuring" an element, but that shouldn't be confused with conjuring something up from nothingness - the matter already existed, the elemancer is just shaping it into a specific pattern. This "ambient matter" can't be part of an already-existing complex pattern, hence why elemancers can't mess around with already-existing elements in the natural world.
The lore compels me!
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Okay, the above was a little off, actually. An elemancer doesn't actually manipulate the "ambient matter" himself. What the elemancer does is present a pattern and infuse their will to make that pattern be, and the "ambient matter" in turn will accommodate by forming into that pattern. Once the elemancer stops channeling their will, the ambient matter particles kind of go "Hang on, why were we doing that, again?" and the conjuration disassembles as the matter reverts back to its ambient state - hence why elemental conjurations dissipate once channeling has ceased.
The lore compels me!
TwistedAkai

Post by TwistedAkai »

Rias wrote:Okay, the above was a little off, actually. An elemancer doesn't actually manipulate the "ambient matter" himself. What the elemancer does is present a pattern and infuse their will to make that pattern be, and the "ambient matter" in turn will accommodate by forming into that pattern. Once the elemancer stops channeling their will, the ambient matter particles kind of go "Hang on, why were we doing that, again?" and the conjuration disassembles as the matter reverts back to its ambient state - hence why elemental conjurations dissipate once channeling has ceased.
Would this apply to nether and inner light as well?
You also notice the corpse of a canim scavenger (x169).
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Nope, just elemancy.
The lore compels me!
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

Nether exists in a passive invisible state in the Clok universe and inner light is basically life force.

Fire is a chemical reaction so does the ambient matter simply combust or is the pseudo fire matter?
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

The whole fire-is-a-reaction conundrum is one I don't care to worry over too much, honestly (because let's face it - I'm dumb). I would say that what elemancer fire is, is the result, and not the initial reaction process. Fire itself exists, and the Elemancer pattern is for the fire, not a reaction that causes fire. It's fueled, just like other conjured elements, by the elemancer's own energy.
The lore compels me!
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

Thank you for the information.

Return to “Elemancy”