Electromagnetism

The manipulation of fire, earth, air, and water.
Nootau

Electromagnetism

Post by Nootau »

Elemancers are able to create lightning in its rawest form without the need of a specialty guild ability. With this easy(can be done by rank 4) access to a form of electricity, would it be possible to harness this energy to create electromagnets or charge electrochemical cells to store this energy?
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
~The Apprentice of the Elements
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Possibly, though I wouldn't intend it to be a common or widespread thing.
The lore compels me!
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

Not common within the college or not common even within that kind of area?
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Not common at all. I might even go so far as to come up with a reason for elemancy-produced lightning not working very well or at all that way. Electricity isn't intended to be in use anywhere, really.
The lore compels me!
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

[quote=Rias]Electricity isn't intended to be in use anywhere, really.[/quote]
This really changes my scope. I am working on non combat uses for Elemancy.
Isiaa

Re: Electromagnetism

Post by Isiaa »

Lightning being static wouldn't really create a lot of usable energy and lightning wouldn't last long enough to properly charge metals to make even ordinary magnets.
qinweiqi

Post by qinweiqi »

They could do a lot with wind power though. An elemancer or three would be indispensable on any sailing ship that could afford them.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Aeromancers on ships would be handy, yes. Keep in mind however that those capable of wielding elemancy are quite rare. Any PC who chooses a guild that wields it can, of course, but that's for reasons of playability - PCs tend to be the exception to the rules. PCs are a tiny, tiny fraction of the world's population. So no, there aren't any fleets of aeromancer-propelled warships or anything that completely dominate the seas. Also, channeling enough aeromancy to push a ship along notably isn't going to last very long, and it'd have to be a fairly small ship - it'd be extremely exhausting for the elemancer and wouldn't be sustainable for very long at all. Handy for some quick decisive maneuvers on lighter craft, though.
The lore compels me!
qinweiqi

Post by qinweiqi »

Also a potential life saver in a storm. I was thinking mostly they'd make a good on-board insurance policy.

Return to “Elemancy”