Aeromancy

The manipulation of fire, earth, air, and water.
Nootau

Aeromancy

Post by Nootau »

The limits of Elemancy are great. The source of one's own body and mine that has been projected. The lightest of these is Aeromancy. Though what is the limit of the breeze? Can it stop the flow of air around something? Suffocating it in the process?
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
~The Apprentice of the Elements
Lun
CLOK Patron

Post by Lun »

I feel that a person channeling aeromancy should become immune to toxic gasses during channeling. An aeromancer can simply just create breathable air in it's place and push away the toxic gas. Anyone in that aeromancer's group can benefit from it as well. Aeromancy miners, go!
I have nothing productive to say, therefore, I must be heard!
Reynard

Post by Reynard »

In general, matter that is created via elemancy is not permanent. The limits of this are kind of... vague. But if I am doing the 3-dimensional geometry correctly in my current sleepy-state of mind, the best way to prevent poisonous gas from being inhaled is to an aerobarrier that prevents any gas from entering. This would have the notable long-term effect of suffocation. But short term is seems plausible to me.
-> put meat in pan
You can't put anything inside the pants.
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

I wonder if it would be possible for an Aeromancy to just create a barrier of air that only permits safe/breathable gasses to enter.
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

That would be highly difficult. Instead you breathe the conjured air, no?Conjure the air within your mouth and then, when the air reaches the lungs it bonds with the alveoli.
Lun
CLOK Patron

Post by Lun »

Yeah, in general the magic that we use is spontaneous, and wouldn't be strong enough to hold up a barrier (Unless you're using a shield pattern, which is remotely different from casual magicks.) What Isiaa said is basically what an aeromancer can do to prevent asphyxiation from poison gas. This would also carry over to an aeromancer being able to dive underwater without the need to surface. :D
Perhaps an aeromancer can disperse harmful gasses from the air by entering nova pattern. Anyone in their group would not be affected by the nova, but the air nova waves would clear the gasses (Or push them away so that they would take longer to reach the party.)
Perhaps this can lead into areas that require teamwork and an aeromancer (since aeromancers feel no love.) since the entire area is covered in toxic gasses that will kill a person over time. Lol. Evelyn+Lae+Nootau!
Last edited by Lun on Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have nothing productive to say, therefore, I must be heard!
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

It depends. I see the actual Shield pattern as being so draining because you are constantly conjuring and physically moving winds quite a bit around you, whereas what I have in mind is essentially the caster not allowing gasses other than what is found in safe, breathable air into a specific space.
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate
Kiyaani

Re: Aeromancy

Post by Kiyaani »

I had a thought about aeromancy early this morning as it was raining and windy >.> Should aeromancy provide cold damage to wet targets?
Aerotine

Post by Aerotine »

I think it stands to reason another Aero ability at Journeyman, along side speeding movement through wilderness, would be to increase the speed of attacking with a physical weapon using wind currents. Perhaps -1s RT for someone running a specific "Currents" or "Haste" spell.

Upon mastering the RT bonus could be -2s. This could expend an increased amount of energy for start up and maintence and be extended to the Aeromancers group.

I would love to see these changes and I think the implementation of it at two stages of mastery is an awesome way to go about releasing the spell. Dropping your groups physical RT by a couple of seconds could create an enjoyable and awesome display of burst damage but at a substantial cost to the Aeromancer's energy. Maybe put it on the same energy costs as shields?
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

I don't really understand how manipulating wind currents would speed one up in combat. If anything, I think it would be a distraction to an aeromancer. The precise level of control that would be needed at each moment to conjure correct trajectories and change it at appropriate moments would decrease focus on physical attacks. Additionally, wind that is fast enough to impact a weapon's speed would result in a fairly extreme loss of control over physical actions and probably decrease combat prowess considerably.

Also, elemancers aren't physical combatants. Why should they have a physical combat buff of this magnitude? Especially one without severe penalties (as other similar abilities have).
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

As to my understand, Elemancy is not meant to directly enhance physical combat as it is not something the College would teach.
Aerotine

Post by Aerotine »

You get flares with melee attacks while channeling.

It's also the same principle as moving faster through the wilderness.

Haste isn't necessarily a combat only thing. Perhaps you could carve -1RT off most skills, be them crafting or whatever...if you kept it running, which would suck up a good deal of energy, and likely not be efficient for anything accept short bursts. Seems totally balanced and inline with Elemancer progression to me.
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

Aerotine wrote:You get flares with melee attacks while channeling.

It's also the same principle as moving faster through the wilderness.

Haste isn't necessarily a combat only thing. Perhaps you could carve -1RT off most skills, be them crafting or whatever...if you kept it running, which would suck up a good deal of energy, and likely not be efficient for anything accept short bursts. Seems totally balanced and inline with Elemancer progression to me.

You get the traveling bonus because you're making it so you're walking with the wind at your back. Which is a lot less precise than adjusting your weapon's trajectory.

The general 'haste spell' doesn't really make sense in regards to Aeromancy, with Clok's Lore. Haste is usually under "air magic" because it falls under the metaphysics of air in other settings, but there's no "symbolic metaphysics" involved with Elemancy. It's quite literal.
“There is always a choice."
"You mean I could choose certain death?"
"A choice nevertheless, or perhaps an alternative. You see I believe in freedom. Not many people do, although they will of course protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.”
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

Flares are not taught from the college, that is innate to channeling.

If a breeze is making you carve faster, you will cut into the wood faster, but you lose accuracy and precision of your craft. So yes, you remove -1RT while increasing the difficulty of the roll by 100% if not more. Seeing as this would now force your movements in combat to be faster you also lose deft movements, making your attack rather broad, so lowering your RT at the penalty of a reduction of your skills should be fair(percentage penalty so higher levels cannot out skill the penalty.)
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Being wet adds a little damage to cold attacks, but I don't think simply being wet and then being blasted by air is enough to do any cold damage.

Haste effects via aeromancy have been requested a number of times, but it won't be happening, sorry. Having "haste" tied to air magic in other games never made sense to me - as others have stated here and in other similar threads, blasting your limbs around with gusts of wind to try and make precision movements more quickly just isn't going to work very well.
The lore compels me!
Aerotine

Post by Aerotine »

While I feel as though this contradicts current abilities, I love tha you took a nice chunk of time to reply to all of the active topics. You guys putting constant effort and involvement is what ales his game better than almost anything else in the MUD world
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Which abilities is it contradicting?
The lore compels me!
Aerotine

Post by Aerotine »

The ability journeyman Aeromancers innately receive moving through the wilderness with reduced RT. If it can manipulate the speed an entire body hastily why wouldn't it be able t do it in combat? There is wind whirin all around them.
TwistedAkai

Post by TwistedAkai »

I think Lysse explained the difference best.
Lysse wrote:You get the traveling bonus because you're making it so you're walking with the wind at your back. Which is a lot less precise than adjusting your weapon's trajectory.
The most I'd see in combat would be a bonus to rolls to change position, and even then I'd find it easier to see moving -away- from the enemy. But then why not just incorporate that into the air and water shields if at all?
You also notice the corpse of a canim scavenger (x169).
Aerotine

Post by Aerotine »

Fair enough. We don't have to agree to see the merit in each other's points.

I never said it would be easy to use the ability, minimum of 300 and 1000 skill for each rank denotes a pretty practiced Aeromancer.

Rias doesn't seem to be keen and when it comes down to it, it's his game.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

I think you're misunderstanding how the travel bonus works. The "Fair Winds" bonus to travel time isn't making your body operate any faster or your limbs move supernaturally quickly - it's just generating favorable wind conditions. Have you ever been jogging or bicicyling on a windy day? Travel with the wind at your back - you'll scoot along a little faster and easier. Nothing supernatural or "hasted" about it.

Just like the guilds that have the Trailblazing ability - they don't move supernaturally quickly to get that -1 travel time bonus, it's just that they know how to navigate wilderness terrain and thus know how to take advantage of favorable conditions.
The lore compels me!

Return to “Elemancy”