Channeling

Dorn

Channeling

Post by Dorn »

Just what does channeling effect beyond being able to open multiple channels? Is there any actual reason to work on the skill beyond X amount needed for whatever abilities you may have with it as a requirement, and to be able to open the channels you need.

The blurb says as follows..

"Channeling is the ability to effectively harness and channel one's energy for magical means. It is useful for preparing and casting spells more easily as well as the ability to channel multiple elements at once. In addition, it will assist in directing most non-projectile magical spells."

But I know of at least one ability that was changed so Channeling ceased helping it (a non-projectile one), so I'm kind of curious if that means it isn't a thing, the blurb is wrong, or what else there is to it.
~Dorn
Uyoku takes a bite of her smelly skunk poop.
Hakon

Re: Channeling

Post by Hakon »

Higher channeling skill = higher chance per second that extra channels past the first won't take energy. So I have heard at least.
preiman
CLOK Patron

Post by preiman »

The higher your skill, the less energy you'll spend when you hold more than one channel. That being said, I never saw the point in training it, if you're the sort of character who's going to really need it, you'll get there fairly quickly regardless.
"I don't think we're ever going to find out what is going on with these canim, where are they coming from?!"
Kent arrives from the southeast.
Kent hugs you.
say um
You say, "Um."
a Mistral Lake sentry arrives from the east, armor clanking.
Kent heads north.
Lun
CLOK Patron

Post by Lun »

throwing a random "fat chance" suggestion to the crew, but hey, Noctere!

Could high channeling lower the cost of novae and shields?
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Lun wrote:throwing a random "fat chance" suggestion to the crew, but hey, Noctere!

Could high channeling lower the cost of novae and shields?
You just wanted to say "novae".
ask jes for date
The horse thief Jessie doesn't seem too interested in talking about that.
Noctere
Coder

Post by Noctere »

Channeled novas are the MOST powerful character generated magic effect in the game. So game wise it makes sense that they cost quite a bit. Lore wise I imagine that they take alot of concentration to perform without causing the nova to backfire on the caster and probably will cause a great deal of strain physically. Thus the energy cost. Frankly I am surprised that it doesn't cost more. Shields though are in a similar place. Not as bad as nova(s) but still meant to be used sparingly.
It's not easy being evil...
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

I stand behind Nocteres explanation.

I don't dislike nova, I think its cool, but I think if anything happened with its emergy costs, itd probably go in the other way (mote energy). Its kinda unbalanced and game breaking. All it takes is one elemancer to clear a room.

The reason why our invasions are so over the top in terms of quantity, is because they'd be over in 10 seconds when an Elemancer is involved.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
xavier

Post by xavier »

And here I just thought it was cause you'd like to see us scramble Jirato. lol sometimes I really love the invasions, except when I'm dead.
Rain falls steadily to the earth.
The gore has been washed from you.
The blood has been washed from you.
You are splattered with gore!
Rain falls steadily to the earth.
The gore has been washed from you.
The blood has been washed from you.
You are splattered with gore!

Return to “General Magic Discussion”