Monk ability suggestion

Humanitarians, healers and shepherds to the afflicted.
Nobody

Monk ability suggestion

Post by Nobody »

Some kind of combat medicine training ability that allows a monk to bandage while hostiles are about would be great. It would be useful sometimes, and a lifesaver when combat goes badly and the monk has too little energy to channel.
Kent

Re: Monk ability suggestion

Post by Kent »

Nice suggestion. Syntax could be 'tourniquet' which would only work for a monk with this ability, and this command would bypass the hostiles check.
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

Thanks for posting this! I love seeing the community actively trying to offer suggestions for positive change lately.

However, much as I appreciate the desire to remain helpful to a group if you get exhausted and can't channel, I'm not sure if this is something that would really work. The problem, as I see it, is that even if your character is being guarded and not taking damage, everyone else in the party is most likely actively moving/attacking/sniping etc. Trying to tend to someone who is in active combat is not really something that should be possible.

The only time I could see something like this working would be if the victim is unconscious or still (not attacking) and both the victim and monk were actively guarded. But at that point it would probably be better to move to a different room out of combat and take time to recover normally.

What might also be neat is if you could drag someone who is unconscious into hiding or hide together with someone who's hurt and then provide treatment while hostiles are around. Currently I believe it's possible to bandage while hidden, but only for yourself (I haven't tested bandaging someone else who's hidden so maybe it is already possible). This could be useful in situations where it's too dangerous to leave an area fully before rendering treatment.

Anyway, these are just my thoughts. Keep up the brainstorming and idea suggestions. It's always good to get some fresh ideas out for discussion :)
Tangela
CLOK Patron

Post by Tangela »

I think this is an interesting idea, but worry about it being a bit imbalanced. Bypassing the limitation on exhaustion isn't something other groups can do, and having a limitless bypass of a core game mechanic strikes me weird.
Kent

Post by Kent »

Tangela wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:57 pm I think this is an interesting idea, but worry about it being a bit imbalanced. Bypassing the limitation on exhaustion isn't something other groups can do, and having a limitless bypass of a core game mechanic strikes me weird.
Everyone can bandage while exhausted currently.

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Kent

Post by Kent »

Kent wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:14 pm
Tangela wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:57 pm I think this is an interesting idea, but worry about it being a bit imbalanced. Bypassing the limitation on exhaustion isn't something other groups can do, and having a limitless bypass of a core game mechanic strikes me weird.
Everyone can bandage while exhausted currently.

The suggestion wasn't to bypass exhaustion, but when a monk is merely in the same room as a hostile, to not be hindered by that presence as the rest of us are. If the monk is actively under attack, then that would be a different story.

As far as Kiyaani's idea that does indeed make a certain amount of sense, being in a game where a monk can bandage someone while they're in battle is less incredible than one of us punching the lights out of a beast that weighs many hundreds of pounds more than our body weight.

Return to “Monastic Order”