Staves and Monks

Humanitarians, healers and shepherds to the afflicted.
Dorn

Staves and Monks

Post by Dorn »

I'm not sure how entirely in line this would fall in with the lore but here goes...

Gist of it, I know Monks aren't supposed to be fighters. They're not supposed to be out hurting people. Currently however, that's the only way to raise a weapon skill even if it is almost a purely defensive one such as Staves.

Has any thought ever been given to allowing an ability for Monks that either gives them skill gain per successful Parry with Staves or allowing them to Parry with Staves but get a bonus based on another skill to that roll? For example... off Channeling?

While they may not be out fighting, the simple fact is the Lost Lands are a dangerous place and I'd think that the Church would send them out with at least some notion of being able to protect themselves long enough while they retreat. Not always enough Templars to play bodyguard.
~Dorn
Uyoku takes a bite of her smelly skunk poop.
Kunren

Re: Staves and Monks

Post by Kunren »

Hmm. Honestly, I think that while it makes sense lore wise for them to train with something defensive, I think they are pretty well off in pure defense mechanically. I might be remembering wrong, but don't they have some ability that Keeps enemies off them at least momentarily? And that's generally all you need to be able to run away, is a moment in position avoid.

Note: memory is faulty and I haven't seen a monk in combat in many months, so might be completely mistaken.
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
jilliana

Re: Staves and Monks

Post by jilliana »

Monks do have a way of defending themselves harmlessly but that's only if thauma is up and going. Not sure how exactly it works mechanics wise as far as probabilities that it'll work 100% of the time.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."

Return to “Monastic Order”