Some kind of nutritional ability for Monks

Humanitarians, healers and shepherds to the afflicted.
Kent

Some kind of nutritional ability for Monks

Post by Kent »

I got to thinking, it would be in line with what they do for monks to some how keep hungry characters from starving to death, where there is no food handy.

I'm not sure how exactly it would be best manifest, whether they should be able to make a loaf of bread appear (dropped by a raven?) or thaumaturgically fill your tummy in a light show similar to healing, or what.

All in all, it seems in line with monks' goals of helpfulness to somehow bring characters who are 'hungry' or worse up to 'content'. This is the essence of my suggestion.
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Lae

Re: Some kind of nutritional ability for Monks

Post by Lae »

We already cook and magic isn't required for that.
http://i.imgur.com/SuO0Fej.gif
[FROM Rias (OOC)]: Jaster can now pick the lock on your bathroom door. I don't want any more details on that bug report.
You ask, "Are we there yet?"
Bryce angrily says, "I will turn this horse RIGHT AROUND."
Speaking to you, Jaster exclaims, "Compassion, Sister Lae!"
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Thaumaturgy doesn't have the ability to fill your stomach (or summon ravens), unfortunately. Thoughtful monks wanting to feed the hungry can carry extra food with them with the intent to share it. It shouldn't be hard, since they're not likely to be weighed down by weapons and armor as most others are.
The lore compels me!
Kent

Post by Kent »

Lae wrote:We already cook and magic isn't required for that.
You told me thaumaturgy wasn't magic. Hmmmph.

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
criticalfault

Post by criticalfault »

I think as it is, food is the one thing magic can't make or fulfill because it would lead to never ending magic as some abilities cost fullness for restoration of energy and what not. Thaumaturgy historically wasn't considered magic (OMG! You mean people really practiced Thaum?! Yes, yes they did. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaumaturgy) It was considered an extension of God's will. In our case its considered a manifestation of someones compassion solidified by the teachings of the Church of light! Its a "miracle" vs "Magic". For a lengthy discussion on why there needs to be a difference, please private message me for information regarding the ramifications of practicing "Magic" within the ear shot of a church in the middle ages. >:)

-D
Jhordon -(Struck by lightning) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X69NaSUdzzA
Cigano - (Friends on the other side) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZAY-78zhmw
Skjotur

Post by Skjotur »

Herb Garden Mastery.
Kent

Post by Kent »

criticalfault wrote:For a lengthy discussion on why there needs to be a difference, please private message me for information regarding the ramifications of practicing "Magic" within the ear shot of a church in the middle ages. >:)

-D

That's what I like about the game 'Maelstrom', you could choose to be a mage, but if you did you risked the ire of the authorities. You could also choose to be a witch-hunter and be rewarded for it. Too bad I couldn't form a group in town to play it.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1882&p=17752&hilit=maelstrom#p17752

Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Sounds like our sorcerers. Those scamps always seem to end up feared and loathed!
The lore compels me!
Kent

Post by Kent »

Rias wrote:Sounds like our sorcerers. Those scamps always seem to end up feared and loathed!
Not really, Rias. They are first-class citizens, enjoying a prominent location in Mistral Lake and a raising room in Haiban.

It would make sense if at least one or two factions in Arad were opposed to sorcerers and their gruesome practices and experiments, and not just 'the guys down the street'.

Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Ever see someone try to cast some eye-catching sorcery in Shadgard?
The lore compels me!
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

Rias wrote:Ever see someone try to cast some eye-catching sorcery in Shadgard?
Yet another thing I would add to my ever-growing list of reasons why I prefer Shadgard over Mistral Lake these days.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
merin
CLOK Patron

Post by merin »

Psssh. Mistral don't care, foo.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

And look at their hellhole of a town! All that creepy mist everywhere all the time, and a canim-filled ruin right outside.
ask jes for date
The horse thief Jessie doesn't seem too interested in talking about that.
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

And a HOLE right in the middle.

Return to “Monastic Order”