Energy

Humanitarians, healers and shepherds to the afflicted.
Gad

Energy

Post by Gad »

Would monks having more energy through training be an idea considered or perhaps we use less energy channeling to heal as we become master thaumaturgists and we do not have more energy than anyone else? The ideas would be for longer healing in battle and survivability.
Makkah

Re: Energy

Post by Makkah »

Well, everything has to have limitations. I agree it'd be a cool idea and good implementation, but what's the trade-off? Maybe a once-a-day kinda thing? Inner Well. You tap deep into your Inner Light and spring forth new vitality to help others. Gives you enough energy or "rez" cooldown lowering to help those truly in need.

EDIT: disclaimer, this is from someone who knows VERY little about thaumaturgy.
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

I could see both ideas as being maybe feasible, though they don't seem (to me at least) to fit in with the way magiic works in Clok.

A minor energy bonus seems the most doable, though even that might be a bit suspect. Granted, the Dwaedn Wyr have a way to increase their energy, but they do so by channeling (as far as I'm aware) one of the Great Spirits. Perhaps Monks could receive a self castable buff that gives them a decent boost to their energy pool, at the expense of temporarily dimming their Inner Light after X minutes, for Y minutes afterwards; something similar to the Thaumaturgy debuff they receive after casting Soul Beacon.

Using less energy to heal, in my eyes at least, just doesn't seem to mesh with how magic functions. It might arguably be possible to channel Thaumaturgy more efficiently, but at the same time, lowering energy costs for healing would be like lowering energy costs for any other spell in the game. How would it work? By that I mean, how are Monks able to do the same amount of work for less energy, when no other magic is capable (to my knowledge) of doing that?

I do think there's merit in the former of my two above blurbs, though I think it has more of a Templar-y feel to it, since Monks aren't (as a guild) supposed to be that battle-ready.
“There is always a choice."
"You mean I could choose certain death?"
"A choice nevertheless, or perhaps an alternative. You see I believe in freedom. Not many people do, although they will of course protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.”
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Monks, Rooks, and Elemancers already get to channel multiple channels for less energy due to the Channel Mastery abilities. I don't see any reason to give Monks an additional boon to lessen their channeling costs - I don't see a way to make it work lorewise, or a particular need that they have over anyone else, other than simply wanting to be able to do more for less. I do like the idea of a way to sacrifice somehow for a burst of energy during emergencies or something, but again, I don't see any particular need for Monks to have something like this, so it's at most on the "this might be neat" list and not the to-do list.
The lore compels me!

Return to “Monastic Order”