Martial Abilities

Humanitarians, healers and shepherds to the afflicted.
KianTheArcher

Martial Abilities

Post by KianTheArcher »

So, I wrote up a series of Abilities for Monks that would allow for an unarmed fighter to be able to go toe to toe with weapon fighters, since that's what Monks seem to be based around. So essentially, these abilities would be for Monks that want to be more combat oriented versus healing oriented.

Iron Fist
Not every ability of the Monks is meant to heal. Some are meant to root out evil in person. As such, some Monks undergo more intense martial training then others. By going through tough regimens and meditation, they can strengthen their hands beyond that of any other fighter.

Mechanic Notes
Essentially, this increases the damage of a Monk's unarmed attacks, and decreases the damage they take to their hands even further. It gives them a slight increase to parry and block chance against weapons as well. Furthermore, it gives the Monk a chance to knock away a person's shield, dealing damage regardless of wether or not the strike was blocked. The Monk's fist has a chance to count as an Iron weapon against those weak to it, as well.

Prerequisite Abilities
Stone Fist
Blade Slap

Prerequisite Skills
Brawling: 75
General Combat:150

Glowing Palm
Some Monks have learned ways to turn their Inner Light outward in ways much different from others. As well as healing, the Inner Light can be used to damage Nether Beings, and as such it is often that while channeling their Light, sometimes Monks can do extra damage to the Nether Beings. However, with the Glowing Palm technique, the Monks can channel their Inner Light through their hands constantly, causing Thaumaturgic energy to strike their targets with every strike.

Mechanic Notes
Basically, this gives the Monk an auto thaumaturgy flare on every unarmed strike they perform.

Prerequisite Skills
Brawling:25
General Combat:50
Channeling:50
Thaumaturgy:100

Shining Palm
The Inner Light is a powerful ally in the fight against the Nether, and as such the Monks of the Church of the Light are the indisputable masters of the Inner Light. Those Monks who are more martially inclined often learn the Glowing Palm technique, and occasionally some progress even further, learning the Shining Palm technique. The Shining Palm is similar to the Glowing Palm, but takes the concept even further. This technique allows a monk to both strike with Thaumaturgic energy with every unarmed attack, though increases the amount of damage the energy does, and gives the attack a chance to Shine. The Shining is a a quick burst of light that travels through the target, blinding them temporarily.

Mechanic Notes
Basically, this is an improved version of Glowing Palm. It allows you to flare thaumaturgy on every unarmed strike, as well as increasing damage of the flare, and giving a small chance to blind on a successful strike. The blind would last about as long as a dirtkick, and would not stack, so if you get a successful blind, it can't happen again until it's worn off.

Prerequisite Abilities
Shining Palm

Prerequisite Skills
Brawling: 50
General Combat: 100
Channeling: 100
Thaumaturgy: 175

*Edited to rename Iron Palm to Iron Fist, and correct a typo.
Last edited by KianTheArcher on Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate
Toukoilija

Post by Toukoilija »

Nice ideas up there - guess I'll contribute here as well...

Island in the River of Time
Concept:
Through a moment of intense concentration a skilled Monk can temporarily speed up both body and mind, granting a brief burst of inhuman alacrity. The cost becomes apparent as soon as the effect wears off - the monk is left greatly exhausted.

Mechanical Notes:
Basically, using this technique will grant multiple attacks over a turn, make them more likely to hit (enemy having trouble blocking or evading them), increase of their damage (speed and mass is power!) and makes the Monk harder to hit.
All this at the cost of massive chunk of energy.
Last edited by Toukoilija on Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pyromancer Ameris the Amicable Applier of Pure Fiery Fooz

Return to “Monastic Order”