Monks who focus on other uses of Thaurmaturgy..

Humanitarians, healers and shepherds to the afflicted.
Nootau

Monks who focus on other uses of Thaurmaturgy..

Post by Nootau »

I had an idea, why should all Monks within the Order be limited to healing focused abilities? Seeing that Monks in general have a higher focus on Thaurmaturgic abilities than Tempars I think there could be a subdivisions which focuses on using Thaurmaturgy offensively.

Monks could be split into two different groups, one focused on healing as they currently are and another sect which gives up abilities choices such as 'Heal Wounds', 'Regenerate Wounds' as well as 'Soul Beacon' in exchange for offensive abilities similar to Templar Knight's 'Spear of Light'. The main difference would be that this sect of Monks would use more energy efficient abilities compared to a Templar. This sect will not replace Templar Knights, even though they will have more effective offensive thaurmatugic abilities, they will not have the defensive abilities or protective abilities which are the focus of many Templar abilities.
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
~The Apprentice of the Elements
Lae

Post by Lae »

If you want to have thaumaturgy and be an aggressive fighter, be a templar. Monks are not made for combat purposes.

Also, you do remember what went on in the arena yeah? A good monk doesn't need offensive "abilities" to kick somethings ass.

<3
http://i.imgur.com/SuO0Fej.gif
[FROM Rias (OOC)]: Jaster can now pick the lock on your bathroom door. I don't want any more details on that bug report.
You ask, "Are we there yet?"
Bryce angrily says, "I will turn this horse RIGHT AROUND."
Speaking to you, Jaster exclaims, "Compassion, Sister Lae!"
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

I did not say they could not be aggressive fighters, i spoke only of abilities. Truth be told anyone can be a good fighter without using any abilities. This is all about one thing 'Choice'. As I said above, this isn't to replace a Templar's role but as a Monk is better at healing than a Templar, why not generalize it as Monks are better at Thaurmatic control as a whole and not just healing.

As for the change, I notice other guilds being changed or mused of changes such as the Rooks who would be split into a support and a combat section, so I thought that the Monks could see something similar.
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
~The Apprentice of the Elements
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

The Monsatic Order, as an organization, is specifically dedicated to taking care of the people via alleviating their pain and suffering, mainly through healing both thaumaturgic and conventional. They also work on things like the American Red Cross would - disaster relief, delivering basic supplies to the needy, things like that. Their brethren the Knights Templar, part of the same overarching organization (the Church) focus on the martial side of taking care of the people, such as physically fighting off aggressors and villains, and protecting people in battle, including the combating of nethrim via thaumaturgic means.

Someone who doesn't wish to focus on healing and directly alleviating the suffering of others has no reason to join the Monastic Order. Their goals are very specific and they only take initiates who are interested in focusing on those specific goals.

Thaumaturgy isn't like the other methods of channeling. It can't be generally "mastered" - that is, you can't be a student or master of all things Thaumaturgic. It's based on an individual's discipline, goals, and mindset. If you are dedicated to healing and helping and have the mindset of the Monastic Order, you're not going to have a lot of luck wielding thaumaturgy for offensive and destructive purposes. Likewise, if you're a member of the Knights Templar, you're not going to have a lot of luck wielding thaumaturgy for healing purposes, as your primary focus and training is going to be militant and offensive.

There's a little crossover due to thamaturgy's basic nature, of course - templar can heal minor wounds, and monks can damage nethrim via raw casts or Sunbeam. If you want to focus on offensive thaumaturgic abilities, however, I suggest you join the Templar. Just as Rooks can opt to go the physical fighter route, Templar can opt to go the "pure caster" route and focus on their attack spells and related skills.
The lore compels me!

Return to “Monastic Order”