Chants without Words

Protecting those who can't protect themselves and keeping evil at bay.
Jabril

Chants without Words

Post by Jabril »

I am hoping to someday join the church of light as a Templar and I was wondering from an in character perspective if it is possible to use chants if you are unable to speak? My character is a mute and has little to no use of his tongue and no vocal chords so I was wondering if this was going to be a problem?
preiman
CLOK Patron

Re: Chants without Words

Post by preiman »

I'd think in that case that chants would probably be beyond you, but that could lead to you being a very different sort of Templar on the battlefield. Now keep in mind, I don't mean that in any bad way, I love seeing Templar who do things their own ways. We don't all have to be sword and shield knights who always say the right thing and never have a hair out of place. We have Alexander for that.
"I don't think we're ever going to find out what is going on with these canim, where are they coming from?!"
Kent arrives from the southeast.
Kent hugs you.
say um
You say, "Um."
a Mistral Lake sentry arrives from the east, armor clanking.
Kent heads north.
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

I've seen Alexander angry... you wouldn't like him when he's angry.
preiman
CLOK Patron

Post by preiman »

Oh I've seen him angry, but he's still the perfectly Quaffed knight while he is.
"I don't think we're ever going to find out what is going on with these canim, where are they coming from?!"
Kent arrives from the southeast.
Kent hugs you.
say um
You say, "Um."
a Mistral Lake sentry arrives from the east, armor clanking.
Kent heads north.
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

While I haven't made up my mind doing with exactly what the chants are (Maybe I'll be able to convince Rias to share a bit about what he originally visioned), regardless of whether or not they are spoken words, I'd say vocal chords would most likely be required.

That, and you're going to have a heck of a time with the interview required to join I the first place. Note that I'm not dismissing you or saying I won't do the interview, but it would certainly be a challenge.

A large part of a Templar's duty involves communication. It's a lot more than just being a giant anti-nethrim soldier. A good chunk of it involves aiding others. It would be exceedingly difficult if you weren't able to communicate with those in need of aid.

Also, just a note, I've heard tell of a couple new Templar hopefuls, but haven't gotten any email yet. When you ask a Templar guild master about initiation, you're warned about the strict RP in the church guilds and asked to email a character history to support@clokmud.com. Perhaps you haven't found the Templar guild master yet, or perhaps you're not using the ASK command because of your characters limitations, but just as a reminder, that is the first step. I won't even start observing someone as a potential Templar or monk until I have that email.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Jabril

Post by Jabril »

Thank you for the reply Jirato. I was not aware of the those steps and will get right on them. As far as the communication issue/asking things, I already have a method that deals with that using proper role play means and look forward to getting to know everyone better.
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Next time I'm at a computer, I think I'll copy-paste that initiation text into a sticky in the BBS. It seems most of the Templar NPCs are in guild-only areas, so I'm not surprised you haven't come across one to ask.

Looking forward to finding out more about your character and eventually interviewing him. Do note there's usually a rather lengthy observation period, but as long as you're active. it shouldn't be an issue.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Jirato wrote:(Maybe I'll be able to convince Rias to share a bit about what he originally visioned)
(For VI users: Image of the giant Cave of Wonders cat-hill-thingie from the Disney movie "Aladdin", with the caption "WHO DISTURBS MY SLUMBER?")

The way I had them conceptualized, Chants were much like the Words of Power used by Mummers. Their power comes largely from the specific "sacred words" which, when chanted with the correct pronunciation and pitch, combined with a good dose of will, energy, and some sort of mental technique on the part of the chanter to give them the right power, would draw out effects within those who heard them and were considered by the chanter to be one with their cause. Sadly, this means that the audible part is in fact required, so a mute wouldn't be able to perform them.

Related Trivia Tidbits:
- Chants are not, in fact, thaumaturgic in nature. The presumed mental discipline going along with Thaumaturgy training given by the Church certainly helps Templar be capable using the chants, however.
- The beneficial effects people receive from sacred chants come from within themselves, not directly from the chanter. The chant (not necessarily the chanter) simply inspires these things within those who are meant to hear and benefit from them.

/me disappears beneath the desert sands once again, and all is silent.
The lore compels me!
Jabril

Post by Jabril »

Thanks for the information Rias. Then it looks like if I am accepted to serve the Church of Light then I will need to refrain from learning any chants to maintain my character. Should make things interesting.
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Rias wrote:would draw out effects within those who heard them
That has some interesting implications for deaf people as well. Though, I don't think we have anyone RPing a deaf person at the moment.
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

Jirato wrote:
Rias wrote:would draw out effects within those who heard them
That has some interesting implications for deaf people as well. Though, I don't think we have anyone RPing a deaf person at the moment.
Or for chanting in a different language, maybe?
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Kunren wrote:Or for chanting in a different language, maybe?
/risefromthesands

The chants are only in one "language", and it's not any spoken language that anyone uses. The "words" of the chant have to be pronounced just right, and at just the right pitch, in addition to the mental/willpower channeling required to power them (or even allow the mind to recall/memorize them - this is why they can't just be repeated by listeners), which means attempting to translate them would ruin their power.

/descendintothesands
The lore compels me!
Akila
Mentor

Post by Akila »

Totally unrelated a tad, but you've also given me some insight into the Mummer's Words of Power which will help my RP, so thanks for that!
[CHAT - Mayor Bryce of Bryceburgh]: It's that funny metal thing you put in your mouth, Galon, and then it goes "Boing, doing, dwang, dwang, doing, ding, boing, dwahng."
04:06:02 [CHAT - Mayor Bryce of Bryceburgh]: You know, the thing Snoopy plays to help Charlie Brown remember "i before e, except after c"

Return to “Knights Templar”