Aeromancy - Theory and Application

Scholars and masters of the elements of our world.
Toukoilija

Aeromancy - Theory and Application

Post by Toukoilija »

Because Orris got his own topic too! - Mine sounds cooler too.

Also a hillybilly idea to validate opening this... aaa...

Reversing the current theme of 'air pushes', how about a spell that drags the air out of your target's lungs? Try and fight without air, dammit - plus it's kinda like Force Choke so all the Dark Sorcerer Knight things can do Vader impersonation!

Further expanding on this, perhaps creation of a very temporary vacuum - initially a shockwave outwards as air is pushed out of the point (AoE knockdown and so on, perhaps even out of the room?) and once the spell expires the air rushes back in, causing another push.
Pyromancer Ameris the Amicable Applier of Pure Fiery Fooz
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Funny thing, I've actually had both those ideas in mind for a while now. Not as much detail on the vacuum one though, so keep it coming!
The lore compels me!
Toukoilija

Post by Toukoilija »

Pointing back to my posts in the thread for new elemancy spells, how about a spell to 'ride the wind'?
The problem with classical elementalism as a theme is that it doesn't readily lend itself to many of the traditional High Fantasy wizardly means of fast long distance traveling, such as portals. Of course it is possible to go to ah... non-classical elementalism, but meanwhile hitching a ride from the wind seems like approbriate method of travel for an elemancer.

Further referring back to my earlier ideas to add to the above - a spell to control the local wind currents?
I quote myself:
"Though a step up from Fair Winds, this spell remains a relatively simple exercise of a Elemancer's power - a more versatile control of wind. Upon casting the spell the caster will choose which direction the wind, its power and whether it should be brief gale or a lasting effect that follows the caster.
A more skilled elemancer will be able to create more powerful winds, and can even tie a wind to the area upon which he stands rather than have it follow hir around.
The brief incarnation of the spell can be used for purposes of clearing the area of dust, gas or similar air pollutants; snuffing out fires; knocking those in the room off their feet - or even out of the area; force flying entities to exit or, if directed down, violently smash them against the ground. The more carnal of the practioners might see use for it when surrounded by skirt-wearing members of the fairer gender.
Should the elemancer choose to keep the spell sustained, it will be in hir' power to change its power and direction at quickly and at will. Sustaining the spell will exhaust the caster, based on the gap between the chosen power of the wind and the capabilities of the caster.
Should two Tame the Winds effects be active in the same area, the stronger will, for the duration of their collision, completetly cancel the weaker out, rather than have to fight it.
Note: An obvious combination with Walk the Winds to control one's travel - using a strong wind might be unadviced as, while it does provide extremely fast traveling, it will be extremely difficult to turn quickly enough. One should also be aware of the possibility of flying into a stronger Tame the Winds spell and be swept away with it.
When sustained the commands for altering the configurations of the spell could be along the lines of wpow and wdir. To end the spell, release wind."

And voilá! A wall of text! Anyway - breakfast time.

Edit:
Having mulled over aeromancy through the breakfast...
Perhaps a bit of stretch on the continuation of plausibility, but how about a spell to rapidly accelerate a small object toward a hostile target? Pebble moving at throwing speed may sting a little, but when it comes close to popping the sound barrier, boy does it hurt more.
Last edited by Toukoilija on Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pyromancer Ameris the Amicable Applier of Pure Fiery Fooz
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Yes, these Elemancers won't have anything like teleportation portals (I'm generally against instantaneous teleportation for a number of reasons, world lore among them - the "frosty portal" is an old out-of-character portal simply to allow people to get to and test an area that doesn't have a wilderness path to it yet). I've been thinking about different alternatives, such as powerful windcurrents in conjunction with something like a balloon (use pyromancy to keep it aloft!), and water-current passages through tunnels crafted by geomancy. It would still take time, but be much quicker than going on foot, and safer too once the wilderness gets a bit more wild.
The lore compels me!
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

Flying? Watch out for the witches, rocs and assorted fire breathing/ acid spitting lizards ranging from the common wyvern the nasty harpies to well dragons. Although dragons aren't necessary.

Return to “The Elemancers”