Mage Candle and Fire Sphere

Scholars and masters of the elements of our world.
Maina

Mage Candle and Fire Sphere

Post by Maina »

Mage Candle persists without channeling. As I understand it, channeled elements always dissipate, sooner or later, without a channel to maintain them. I did read an old post, from when hydromancy left people persistently drenched, that suggested Mage Candle had intended to cause reduced energy generation to simulate the maintained effort required to keep it going without a full channel. Was this ever implemented?

If it was, could Fire Sphere be given the same treatment, though perhaps to a greater extent? Right now it feels inconsistent why one requires a channel and the other does not, and it seems to make the 'keeping warm' benefit less useful when pyro shield already does the same without requiring a Journeyman ability.

Is there a lore reason for the difference between these two? Or is it an oversight or low priority change? I was asked ICly why, and I'm not sure how to answer.
[FROM Zeldryn (OOC)]: STOP BEING AMAZING. IT'S AMAZING.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Re: Mage Candle and Fire Sphere

Post by Rias »

Maina wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:42 am Is there a lore reason for the difference between these two? Or is it an oversight or low priority change? I was asked ICly why, and I'm not sure how to answer.
One is a tiny little candle flame that provides a slight amount of light, the other is a big bright ball of fire that provides a large amount of light and serves as a room heater and cooking fire for everyone nearby.

P.S. Mage Candle should probably do that thing that doesn't drain energy, but slows energy regen. It's a very, very old spell and preceded that mechanic by a few years, I believe, and was just never updated at least in my time due to being overlooked - not for any particular lore reason.
The lore compels me!

Return to “The Elemancers”