Abilities: Detection and Severence

Scholars and masters of the elements of our world.
Dakhal

Abilities: Detection and Severence

Post by Dakhal »

Would it be possible that these are made into guild perks rather than full-on abilities? As it stands, I highly doubt that anybody takes them as is, as their use is extremely negligible compared to any other ability that you can get and are borderline on level with something that supplements RP than provide real benefit to a character.

My view on this is that there aren't really any enemies in the game that use elemancy for you to actually have mechanical benefit against by using them, and as such, it's usage will be denoted against other members of the playerbase.
Love me or hate me, both are in my favor. If you love me, I'll always be in your heart. If you hate me, I'll always be in your mind.
I lead a Life of Sin.
Dallia

Re: Abilities: Detection and Severence

Post by Dallia »

I've definitely had similar thoughts regarding them. I initially took them since I just joined and was excited to try out all of these nifty new abilities I had... except I couldn't find anywhere to actually use them, nor am I certain when I would use them. I'd hate to drop them, but if there aren't really any opportunities to ever use them then I'd hate to continue to take up 1-2 extra ability slots when there are so many I could use instead to further customize my character.
Lun
CLOK Patron

Post by Lun »

Elemental Detection and Severance are both amazing tools for RP, but they're almost never explored or used. They each cost a point to hold, but on a regular basis we'd never use them. There's no NPC caster mobs, which means the only target is either a GM mob or ourselves. Everything that Severance does, Groinkick does better (It's not like you can guard against it, or hire someone to guard you, either!)

I'd love to either see them consolidated as a single ability, or as a guild perk similar to the Brofist Restraint ability, or the guild that doesn't exists' language ability.
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

So are these two unique abilities, or one?

I'm of the opinion that maybe we should just get rid of detection altogether. The channel messages are pretty obvious, we should probably add something in the room occupants list or the LOOK descriptions of people with active channels (except for aeromancy, that's supposed to be the only real subtle magic).

I think severence could be a pretty useful ability though. It definitely shouldn't fall along the same lines as the Brotherhood's restraint ability, as this one actually has mechanical purpose, while restraint is purely RP (disables all skill gains while active).
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Akila
Mentor

Post by Akila »

They're two separate abilities, with Detection a prerequisite to Severance.
[CHAT - Mayor Bryce of Bryceburgh]: It's that funny metal thing you put in your mouth, Galon, and then it goes "Boing, doing, dwang, dwang, doing, ding, boing, dwahng."
04:06:02 [CHAT - Mayor Bryce of Bryceburgh]: You know, the thing Snoopy plays to help Charlie Brown remember "i before e, except after c"

Return to “The Elemancers”