Advanced Elemancy

Scholars and masters of the elements of our world.
criticalfault

Advanced Elemancy

Post by criticalfault »

So, I had this idea and its a big one...i won't lie, it would take a LOT of work...but the pay off would make the guild infinitely easier to make abilities and additions for...as well as make spells more available to elemancers while not making them incredibly unbalanced. I apologize, this post will be big, but its SUCH a fun idea!

-- Over view --
Everything revolves around the idea of what I will call, "Scribe Pattern". More or less, Elemancers could buy spells to be added to a spell book that they would write down specific patterns. Some even using elemental weaving. This would take a LONG time...so 90 seconds or even 500 seconds. However the GMs feel its balanced. It would create one time use spell components for more powerful spells.

-- Discovery --
Now players could go into the library and research different elements (Again with massive round times and perhaps even having to "rent" time in the library to get the randomized rolls). This would allow them to discover spells they could put into their book. Each spell would have elemental skill requirements. So Hydro 400, Geo 200 equals Spell X. This would give elemancers a reason to go into the library and a way of sinking money into the guild and actually "doing research" for students!

-- Creation --
So, after all of this, one then would need specialized (And slight expensive) parchments. You would need to have your 'spell book' open to the right page and then just copy. This would again take time, but give you a one time use of the more "advanced" spell. Spell books would then be sought after and to make things so folks don't just all get together and trade up to become super powerful...each spell book would be keyed to the person who wrote it. (Consider this written in a language or using understands that only really make sense to the caster in question). Perhaps later a system can be created to share or exchange spells...but for now this seems like a good stop gap.

-- Use --
To use one of these new matrix scrolls, one simple has to channel the proper amount of channels or combination of channels and cast matrix, or perhaps matrix <targets> whatever command makes sense. This would burn the required energy, allow the person to target whatever, and destroy the scroll in question.

-- Collection of spells --
What good are these suggestions with at least a dozen spells to go along with it? Elemancers should have access to tons of powers...some only useful in specific situations. They should be folks who if prepared are incredibly dangerous...but without preparation, they should be easy to push over.

~*~ Breath of Verungnr ~*~
High Level Hydromancy - Fills a targets lungs with water, making them gasp and gag at the very least. If caught while someone is winded could lead to death.

~*~ Tidal Wave ~*~
Triple Channel Hydromancy - Conjures TONS of wave and moves everyone out of the room, sending them tumbling, drenching them and perhaps even making them injured as they collide and sent sprawling

~*~ Pull of the Watery Grave ~*~
Mid Level Hydromancy - Forces someone prone in a room with shallow water. This is dangerous for a few reasons, one being prone, two being pulls under the water for a moment. Swim checks bring you back to the surface.

~*~ Naia's Blessings ~*~
Mid Level Hydromancy - Allows the caster or someone who they cast on, to walk on water for a few. Allowing them to easy get across water, though quite dangerous should the spell fail or wear off before one is safely out of the water.

~*~ Duck's Resilience ~*~
Low Level Hydromancy - Renders the spells target water proof. Helps during storms and to not be frozen should someone use cryomancy near water or during a storm.

~*~ Cloud of Stench ~*~
Low level Aeromancy - Creates a cloud that smells so bad it can bring some to vomit. This of course stuns enemies. Requires the Nova pattern.

~*~ Wreaths of Choking Smoke ~*~
Mid level Aeromancy + Pyro - Creates a small cloud of smoke that makes it difficult to breath. This is used primary for escaping purposes.

~*~ Breath of the Open Sky ~*~
Mid level Aeromancy - Creates a pocket of protected air around the targets head to protect them from dangerous air.

~*~ Rain of Stones ~*~
Two channels of Aero and Geo - Causes stones to manifest and rain down onto an area. This will injury the caster unless they also have the shielding matrix with aero shield activated.

~*~ Rain of Oil ~*~
Aero x2, Hydro x1, Geo x1 - Can only be used during a storm, causes the rain in the room to suddenly become oil, soaking everyone in the room with combustible oil.

~*~ Sudden Skybound Flight ~*~
Aero x2 - Throws a target into the air, dealing damage as they fall back to the earth. Extremely dangerous should there be a path downward for them to fall more than one room down.

~*~ Blinding Flash ~*~
Pyro x1 - Throws out a blinding flash allowing the pyromancer to run away as everyone reels from the sudden intense light.

~*~ Soothing the Raging Flames ~*~
Pyro x3 - Temporarily stops pyromancy from being used in an area as long as the pyromancer is in the room.

~*~ Dance of Flames ~*~
Pyro x2 - Causes an open flame sources (Campfire, torch, lamp, etc) to continually and randomly spray flames at targets.

~*~ Edge of the Razor ~*~
Geo x2 - Causes a weapon to become temporarily sharper.

~*~ Weight of the Resting Giant ~*~
Geo x2 - Cause a blunted weapon to become heavier and more damaging for a short time.

~*~ Opening the Earths Pore ~*~
Geo x3 - Cause a "pit" to be created and for the victim to fall into it. Its difficult to climb out of, but not impossible as well the target falls for a short distance and is hurt.

~*~ Tracks of Mushrooms Blight ~*~
Geo x1, Pyro x1 - Causes a target to leave behind glowing foot prints for a short time.

~*~ Atlas' Shrug ~*~ (Change for the game, but its a fun name!)
Geo x2 - A sudden shake of earth allowing the caster to knock everyone down.

~*~ Wizard's Boost ~*~
Channeling x2 - Allows an elemancer to lend some of their skill to another elemancer.

~*~ Fork ~*~
Channeling x3 - Allows the caster to split her bolts and strike two targets at once.

I'm sure we can make more! I'm sure this is way more suggestions than folks need or want, but hey, go big or go home! >:)
Jhordon -(Struck by lightning) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X69NaSUdzzA
Cigano - (Friends on the other side) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZAY-78zhmw
Isiaa

Re: Advanced Elemancy

Post by Isiaa »

This... Actually sounds awesome. Although note, so far 4 element spells haven't exactly excited Rias. Also, I note in one of your suggestions that you have a blunt weapon getting heavier. It was suggested at one point that there be a way to use aeromancy to make a weapon faster but Rias was against the idea. Elemancy is purely taking some form of ambient matter and imposing a pattern on it.

Now, most of your spells do fit in. For example, creating tonnes of water or water in a persons lungs(though I think if you use hydromancy you already have a chance to create a 'bubble' of water around their head) as well as summoning gas/clean air. Those I see as possible.

However, I don't see Fork or Wizard's Boost happening. Lightning is hugely damaging already so I don't think it'll become something that can strike multiple targets for balancing reasons and Wizard's Boost doesn't really fit with Elemancy and would require some form of psychic link or some such which isn't something we can do.

These are my thoughts on the subject but it does sound like a good idea. Perhaps the scrolls, from an IC point of view help visualise and thus help impose a pattern which otherwise would be impossible even for those savant-like enough to impose their will on their surroundings in the form of elemental control(well. Outright, if temporary, creation).
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Please keep brainstorming! However, also keep in mind the limitations of Elemancy:

- Elemancy can't manipulate existing matter - only the matter conjured by the elemancy in the first place. You can conjure fire and make it move around, but you can't grab existing fire from a torch and move it - that's natural fire, not conjured fire.
- Once the caster stops channeling, conjured matter disperses.
- Elemancy only does one thing: Manipulate conjured matter. Conjured matter intially comes into being near the Elemancer's hands, and must be directed from there. Elemental Detection and Elemental Severance are different, but those aren't actual elemancy, but ESP-like mental probing/projecting utilizing knowledge of elemantic channeling and patterns, and I don't plan on any other non-elemancy abilities for fear of opening a can of worms and circumventing intentional limitations.
The lore compels me!
criticalfault

Post by criticalfault »

Again, completely fine to hack out whatever lore doesn't concern, however even if half a dozen fit and are useable, then it was worth it! :)
Jhordon -(Struck by lightning) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X69NaSUdzzA
Cigano - (Friends on the other side) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZAY-78zhmw

Return to “The Elemancers”