Ability Suggestion: Immobilization Pattern

Scholars and masters of the elements of our world.
Renarin

Ability Suggestion: Immobilization Pattern

Post by Renarin »

I have been trying to determine some new effects that would be interesting. My initial thought was another channeling ability like compression, or shield, that focuses the element around a target. This would then create elemental effects to surround a target and have varying effects based on the element. Perhaps we could call this immobilization pattern.

For example.

Aeromany: Strong winds swirl around your target, these winds disorient and force the target to stay at ranged while causing small wounds as the winds pick up random debris that slices and smacks the target.

Hydromancy: A bubble of water courses around a target, slowing their movements and hampering their attacks and making them less effective.

Geomancy: The ground rises up around the target and crushes their legs causing some damage and rooting them in place.

Pyromancy: Fire springs up in a ring around the target causing damage as well as having a chance to disarm any opponent who wields a metal weapon.

Requirements: Nova Pattern
Channeling 300
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

The thing I could see with aeromancy is that those strong winds would also make ranged combat much much harder as the ammunition used is affected by the winds.
Hydromancy would also cause choke damage unless it doesn't cover the head, no?
The geomancy thing I see no problem with except that the damage too the legs would have to be rather high to "crush" them. Possibly it could cause fracture level damage which is a bit lower.
Pyromancy would eventually disarm the target obviously but I would prefer if would activate with a slight stun of two second as the target recoils from the sudden light and heat. The disarm could happen when the weapons are sufficiently hot that the victim could no longer hold them.
This are my personal opinions only.
Renarin

Post by Renarin »

I like the suggestions. I am interested in seeing some more patterns for us as while the raw cast combinations are amazing I think that as a university it would focus more on how to control, define, and harness the elements as opposed to teaching us how to weave elemental streams into raw bolts of attack.
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

Sounds like a reverse shield pattern. So if you were using something like this with aeromancy on a person, any projectiles fired at them would have to be deflected too.
Speaking to Garith, you exclaim, "Ban' baaan'!"
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

Naturally. These are patterns designed to immobilize or stop people.
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

Or hinder them in other fashions.
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

It still remains.. if you are casting a swirling maelstrom of fire around someone, naturally, you also wouldn't be able to attack them in melee without being burned.
Speaking to Garith, you exclaim, "Ban' baaan'!"
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Jaster's got the right thinking here (don't anyone dare quote me out of context on this).

My nitpick would be that the earth and fire ones are different than the air and water ones. Air and water appear to just be a shield pattern, but around an enemy, and with less focus on keeping things outside the bounds of the pattern. The other two seem more like rings focused near the ground, and doing more than just moving the element in that ring, but more complicated actions (compressing inward toward the target and then binding there). This doesn't really go along with the concept of patterns, since the manipulation should be the exact same thing regardless of element applied, and it's the element that has varying effects, rather than an element causing a pattern to act differently (doesn't make sense).

Not saying bad ideas, but the effects as listed wouldn't all fall under a single pattern.
The lore compels me!
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

No one would dare quote you out of context on this. No need to worry.
20:21:01 [CHAT - (a mysterious GM)]: With obvious effort, Zuki pries up a thick scale over a drakolin's chest! Zuki spearhand-strikes the soft, unprotected area under the scale! Heart ruptured, death follows immediately. A drakolin lets out a final bellow of rage and falls lifeless to the ground.
Renarin

Post by Renarin »

Honestly since my character focuses more on hydromancy and aeromancy it was easier for me to think of what the effects would be with them. I also am interested in seeing some effects where hydromancy and aeromancy are superior than the other two. I know there are other benefits like knocking things over but it seems like they aren't as effective, just my opinion.

What would you think of these two for earth and fire?

Earth: Earthy chunks circle around the target, effectively limiting the movement and intercepting attacks from the target. Makes it almost impossible for the target to retreat or leave the area. This will prevent some attacks against the target but effectively restrains the target so the caster can focus on other things.

Fire: Wisps and tendrils of fire surround the target, heating the air causing harm if the target moves or attempts to pass through the fire. As the air is superheated by the fire the target begins to strain and looses their stamina (energy) as they attempt to function while breathing in the burning air. This skill will limit others from attacking the target in melee as they will be burned themselves.
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

If no one minds, may I take a turn at this concept?

Elemancy patterns and combinations increases in cost and difficulty the more intricate the concept is, compared to a simple idea. Seeing as Geomancy and Hydromancy, using in a multi channel raw cast, creates mud, why not use mud as the method of true immobilization? The mud can be used to coat the target before it is hardened, akin to brittle plaster.

Prerequisites:
Apprentice Geomancy
Apprentice Hydromancy
Multi-Element Weaving
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
~The Apprentice of the Elements
Makkah

Re:

Post by Makkah »

Nootau wrote:If no one minds, may I take a turn at this concept?

Elemancy patterns and combinations increases in cost and difficulty the more intricate the concept is, compared to a simple idea. Seeing as Geomancy and Hydromancy, using in a multi channel raw cast, creates mud, why not use mud as the method of true immobilization? The mud can be used to coat the target before it is hardened, akin to brittle plaster.

Prerequisites:
Apprentice Geomancy
Apprentice Hydromancy
Multi-Element Weaving
Ultra-rez @ this thread. I love this idea.
Rias
DEV

Re: Ability Suggestion: Immobilization Pattern

Post by Rias »

Ultra-considering it.

Return to “The Elemancers”