Staves & Wands, A possible retcon?

Scholars and masters of the elements of our world.
Nootau

Staves & Wands, A possible retcon?

Post by Nootau »

I began to wonder on the idea of 'How to they work'. I was told by many it is a focusing tool but also that it has special equations that aid in their caster's ability to be used. I was content with this for some time until recently. Looking upon Lun's Rook post about a 'Charge' command, and mixing it with the new theory of how Elemancy works, I have come to a new idea of how the Wands and Staves work. This will(may?) not change what they do, but simply the story behind how they do it.

It would make more sense that the Staves and Wands were attuned in such a way to the Elemancer in question. Seeing as every Elemancer thinks differently and take different takes on view points, the idea that each wand or staff would have a personalized focusing crystal. These crystals would harmonize with the Elemancer who it is [Attuned] to, and would not work with anyone else, unless they [Attuned] to it, removing the previous owner's attunement.

Wands allow a higher level of accuracy due to their setting of the crystal being rather fragile , which is why you cannot physically strike with it. Staves obscure the crystal to protect it even as it is used to strike a target physically.

These crystals are made from when a master of a element cages a pure elemental. Such as a Hydromancy Master using a special pattern to contain and trap an exhausted Water Elemental, condensing it into a crystal. Elementals made up of tainted substances such as mud, molten rock, toxic water, or even smog are not able to be crystalized into a focusing crystal.

Crystals are set into Wood, Bone or even Leather freely, as the materials do not significantly impede the process required to harmonize or attune to the crystal. There are some examples such as hand spears, 4' shaft with a 1' blade, having focusing crystals set into them though the accuracy is noticeably lower than that of a staff as has interference from mental, though it has further applications as a physically offensive tool.

This is all well and good for me to muse but, what does everyone else think?
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
~The Apprentice of the Elements
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

I kind of like the idea of Elemancers having personalised staves. It's a part of magic that most games disregard, but the concept that a Spellcaster being able to use something specially attuned to them has always been a theme I've enjoyed.

I'd personally take it a step further, and have it so that if you attune to a staff you've personally made, you receive between a 5 and 15 percent bonus to casting, depending on the quality. But if you attune to someone else's staff, you receieve between -15 and 0 percent penalty based on the skill of the user vs. the quality of the staff.
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

For what it's worth, wands already work better for their original buyer than they would for anyone else. It's a concept already implemented at least in a very simple form, it just needs to be expanded on.
The lore compels me!
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

Oh, that's cool. I hadn't known that.
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate

Return to “The Elemancers”