Mage Candle vs Shadow Orb = ?

Scholars and masters of the elements of our world.
Nootau

Mage Candle vs Shadow Orb = ?

Post by Nootau »

Mage candle creates light, while the orb gets rid of it.. Which one wins?
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
~The Apprentice of the Elements
Lae

Post by Lae »

I asked the same question about Halo and Shadow Orb and named out some different scenarios about having each snuff out the other in different situations.

viewtopic.php?id=1001
http://i.imgur.com/SuO0Fej.gif
[FROM Rias (OOC)]: Jaster can now pick the lock on your bathroom door. I don't want any more details on that bug report.
You ask, "Are we there yet?"
Bryce angrily says, "I will turn this horse RIGHT AROUND."
Speaking to you, Jaster exclaims, "Compassion, Sister Lae!"
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

The orb eats much more light than a mage candle produces. Nether is weak against fire, but I think a shadow orb would be thick and concentrated enough that the mage candle would be snuffed before a whole lot of the orb would be burned away. Kind of like how fire can burn water away into steam, but you drop a torch into a tub of water and the torch is going to go out before it turns all that water to steam.
The lore compels me!
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

Would it be possible, then, that any of the Utasa abilities would counter Shadow Orb, such as Utasa's beacon? I figured it'd be best to ask here, instead of starting a whole new topic in the Utasa section.
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Any light-producing effect will help to counter the effects of Shadow Orb. Shadow Orb simply lowers the area's lighting by an amount. So lighting torches or lanterns, casting Halo or Utasa's Beacon, anything that produces light will go toward bringing the lighting numbers back up.

If you're asking if Utasa's Beacon would be able to get rid of a Shadow Orb, then no. Utasa's Beacon is solely light, with no fire or thaumaturgic energy present to burn away the nether of the orb. Shadow Orb would just go "nom nom nom".
The lore compels me!
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

Ohh, okay. Nootau's question arose because I asked him if Mage Candle countered the effects of the Shadow Orb ability, and he wasn't sure.

That's pretty much what I wanted to know, though, if there was a way to counter it! Thank you. =)
Morgoth, I cried
Hear my oath
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Shadow orb is really the least concerning of the claw of shar abilities. I don't know why everyone is trying to counter it. Just move 1 room over when it's cast...

Looking forward to eating your light!
20:21:01 [CHAT - (a mysterious GM)]: With obvious effort, Zuki pries up a thick scale over a drakolin's chest! Zuki spearhand-strikes the soft, unprotected area under the scale! Heart ruptured, death follows immediately. A drakolin lets out a final bellow of rage and falls lifeless to the ground.
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

I'm not worried about it. Aero or Pyro + Channel Nova, right now trying to see how i can get more damage out of it >.>
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

I wasn't worried as much as just curious.
Morgoth, I cried
Hear my oath
Lae

Post by Lae »

Not really worried either, I'd just love to see more cause and effect between different abilities. It helps us play off of each other.

:D
Last edited by Lae on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://i.imgur.com/SuO0Fej.gif
[FROM Rias (OOC)]: Jaster can now pick the lock on your bathroom door. I don't want any more details on that bug report.
You ask, "Are we there yet?"
Bryce angrily says, "I will turn this horse RIGHT AROUND."
Speaking to you, Jaster exclaims, "Compassion, Sister Lae!"
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

Just a question.. what happens if you pyro nova in the room with a nether orb? Fire > Nether so.. would that kill the orb or would it only damage it?
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

A nova is an expanding ring rather than a sphere, roughly on a plane centered at the midesction of the caster and following the average horizontal plane of the immediate terrain. I've always assumed shadow orbs are floating up in the air above the head of the caster, so they wouldn't be hit by the nova.
The lore compels me!

Return to “The Elemancers”