Elemental Specialization

Scholars and masters of the elements of our world.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Elemental Specialization

Post by Rias »

In order to encourage specialization and, by extension, the creation of some uberspells at the top tier of elemental masteries, the following limitations have been put into place:

- Elemancers may only attain the Mastery rank of one element.
- Elemancers may only attain the Journeyman rank of two elements (including one they might go on to master).

So ultimately, an Elemancer can be Master of one element, Journeyman of one other element, and Apprentice in the remaining two.

If any Elemancers would like their apprentice/journeyman/mastery abilities to be refunded due to these limitations being put into place, please send an email to rias@contrarium.net.
The lore compels me!
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

<Complains>
<Gets knocked into the Void>
<Gets Reeducated>
<Becomes a supporter>
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
~The Apprentice of the Elements
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

...Ok... That just removes all the appeal for me but whatever.
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

<Waits for Isiaa to get the hammer>
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

<Sighs and takes out a communication crystal and hovers over 'lawyer'.>
Hammer me and I will call the lawyers on you for assault. *Glares at Rias.*
Rasui

Post by Rasui »

Think of it as having a unique specialization to set you apart from the others. Specialization is good. If there were a similar setup in Rook Parlour to separate the fighters, the combat casters, and the more peaceful utilitarian philosophers, I would welcome it.
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

Meh. Elemancers are supposed to be able to do lots of different spells. Not just one or two. The master thing I could understand but limiting journeyman is what is so annoying to me. Not that I can do anything about it.
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

Seeing as one of the most powerful spells currently does not require journeyman in any element.. It doesn't limit as much as what you make it out to be.
Rasui

Post by Rasui »

You can still combine 3 of any element you're able to channel. I don't think it's as limiting as you are thinking it is. If I understand how the elemancy mechanic works, you can still combine 3 different elements even if you're only an apprentice in each. The major limitation is that whatever your two apprentice elements are, you can only mix one of those element in, rather than two. That still leaves a lot of combinations. Mixing elements alone gives you multiple times more spells than any other guild.
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

I know.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Sorry that this is bothering you so much, but Elemancers are still extremely powerful and versatile. This is just to encourage some specialization and uniqueness (is that a word?) amongst Elemancers, and as mentioned before, makes us much more willing to release spells of greater power, since they'll be limited to those who have the appropriate masteries, rather than every elemancer having access to every world-shattering (not literally) spell.
The lore compels me!
Reynard

Post by Reynard »

3 of element A, 2 of element B, 1 of elements C and D. That's still a lot of combinations. Excuse me while I do the math.

edit: er, I'll post the numbers below in case anyone missed them.
Last edited by Reynard on Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-> put meat in pan
You can't put anything inside the pants.
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

You can blame me if it helps any.
Reynard

Post by Reynard »

10 three-channel spells, 8 two-channel spells, and 4 one-channel spells. Assuming that order does not matter.

edit: For comparison's sake, you can currently cast 19 three channel spells, 10 two-channel spells, 4 one-channel spells. That's 33 compared to the 22 you can cast now, if you only look at raw casting.
Last edited by Reynard on Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-> put meat in pan
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

It's not Nootau's fault, but feel free to blame him anyway.

22 spells spells from 8 abilities (3 for master, 2 for journeyman, 2 for the two apprentice ranks, and Multi-Element Weaving), pretty sweet deal. And that's not counting the few other benefits of training elemental mastery abilities like mage candle, aero jump, fair winds, etc. On top of that, patterns like Shield or Nova grant 4 versions per pattern. Elemancers are still hugely versatile and powerful, getting more bang for their buck (or ability, in this case) than other guilds.
The lore compels me!
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

Compression modifies three spells. <Compression is buggy though>
Reynard

Post by Reynard »

I thought that compression modified 7 or 10? All raw aero and hydro casts and single-channel geo casts.
(7 if only pure element casts, 10 if hydro/aero combos are included)
-> put meat in pan
Arphaxad

Post by Arphaxad »

Egads!

I leave you guys alone for a few days and you make major changes the Elemancers?!?! Well this will require some thought and consideration.

Arphaxad
[OOC - Ramses the Wise]: Don't make me stop the world again.
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

<.<

Who's this new guy?
Lae

Post by Lae »

[quote=Nootau]<.<

Who's this new guy?[/quote]

Ramses is a very scary, but very smart elemancer who brings me food to cook!
http://i.imgur.com/SuO0Fej.gif
[FROM Rias (OOC)]: Jaster can now pick the lock on your bathroom door. I don't want any more details on that bug report.
You ask, "Are we there yet?"
Bryce angrily says, "I will turn this horse RIGHT AROUND."
Speaking to you, Jaster exclaims, "Compassion, Sister Lae!"
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

Sounds like the new Noot. K!
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

Had it been decided as to what the effects of the master level spells will be?

I am curious of Hydro vs Geo mastery effects as those are my journeyman elements.
Orris

Post by Orris »

I'm looking forward to seeing what specialization hydromancers get! Can I re-suggest the Giant Water Globe spell? Maybe easier to hit with since it's so big. When it hits, it immobilizes the target while they're stuck in the rapidly spinning globe and they suffocate over time like the current journeyman hydromancy casts. Maybe do some very minor damage overtime as your head and limbs are being pulled forcefully around.

When the globe falls, the target could be prone and partially incapacitated (dizzy) for a duration. It woul be a great non lethal but powerful spell, or you could hold it long enough till they suffocate if you were aiming to actually kill.
While planning a trip to the haunted galleon with a bunch of people on ESP...
[FROM Vinz (OOC)]: what are the nether called on that pirate ship again?
[TO Vinz (OOC)]: I'm scared to tell you...
[FROM Vinz (OOC)]: DO-IT >:)
Orris

Post by Orris »

Aeromancers could get a rapid decompression/vacuum spell for some very nasty effects.
While planning a trip to the haunted galleon with a bunch of people on ESP...
[FROM Vinz (OOC)]: what are the nether called on that pirate ship again?
[TO Vinz (OOC)]: I'm scared to tell you...
[FROM Vinz (OOC)]: DO-IT >:)
Blair

Post by Blair »

I think uberspells should be the resulting of combining two or more mastery of elements. Elemancers should have an ability where they can link with one or more elemancers. The more casters in casting the spell, the more powerful it can become. Such a spell would be very useful in group endeavors.

Return to “The Elemancers”