Recognition Points

Scholars and masters of the elements of our world.
Isiaa

Recognition Points

Post by Isiaa »

Could one use the recognition points to learn specific ultra spells as it were?Like pyroclasm etc?Or thunderstorm or blizzard or whatever.The most powerful spells.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Learning spells will likely remain on the promotion/ability system. Recognition points will more likely be used for acquiring things like items, services, titles, and perhaps learning some minor cantrip spells that people wouldn't want to spend a promotion on.
The lore compels me!
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

oh right.Ah well.Like using fire to warp the air to create a temporary illusion or air and fire to make something akin to fireworks. That kind of stuff?
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Fireworks would be an awesome cantrip spell. I'll code it up after Lore Week!
The lore compels me!
Toukoilija

Post by Toukoilija »

After some pondering on the matter, I came up with a set of ideas for spending these thrice-cursed points...

Stipend

An Elemancer of some recognition may ask for a monetary stipend from the University's wealth to support his/her studies.

Better Dorm Quarters

Not only fancier and comfier, but perhaps with an addition of a small personal library of referrence tomes, which could be used to gain a vastly lenghtened and somewhat strengthened effect from skill books? And I am talking like, many hours long added lenght - would save a lot of annoying bookworming while evading arrows to the knee and whatnot.

Other room improvements could be thought of, whether they be purely fluff or actually have an gameplay impact.

Robe Improvements

Variety of minor things, in the form of attached charms and sewed-in diagrams. For example...

Diagram of Thermic Sympathy:
When the bearer of the diagram is channeling pyromancy, the diagram feeds on the minor flow of excess energy escaping from the channel. It releases the energy in form small pulses of heat, combating the effects of long-term exposure to cold climates.

Diagram of Pneumatic Purity:
When in presence of any sort of abnormal air pollutant, be it a poisonous gas or coal fumes, the diagram will become a point of pressure upon the skin it touches - not unlike someone firmly pressing a finger onto it - thus efficiently and discreetly warning the bearer of any possibly otherwise unperceivable dangers.

Diagram of Hydrological Impermeability:
Shields the robe against minor quantities of water, for example allowing it to remain dry and warm in a rain for far longer than it otherwise would. Because soaked mage is a miserable mage.
Pyromancer Ameris the Amicable Applier of Pure Fiery Fooz
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Good ideas, keep them coming. Note that generally, the idea for rec points is to spend them on temporary or consumable services and goods, rather than a purchase you only make once and then you're set. One idea we've had in mind borrowing books or scrolls from the University library that would grant things like you mentioned - longer study bonuses, or access to an ability you normally wouldn't have on your own (having the reference material immediately on-hand).

And regarding bookworming while evading arrows - who would be silly enough to study in the middle of hostile territory? Nutty Elemancers.
The lore compels me!
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

Uh... We mess with the primal forces that make up the world and you think we're sane?
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Good point! I haven't seen you in-game in a long time, Isiaa. Hop in before Saturday and take advantage of the extra skillgains during the "sorry the server was down" bonus week!
The lore compels me!
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

Wouldn't be good use of points to be able to buy Books, Staves and Wands with recognition points?

Alternately, could you make the abilities such as plowing soil, lighting fires, boosted jumping require Guild Points to learn how to do? This would be more limiting but will open up new chances for new abilities being linked to the different controls. Such as Journeymen Pyromancers no longer need to have a campfire to use the cook command for food or stop bleeding at the cost of additional damage to the limb while Aeromancers are able to have a third 'hand' to hold things such as a spare bag or use the pull command while both hands are full.
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
~The Apprentice of the Elements
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

The University runs on riln, and depends greatly on their students purchasing textbooks and other goods with riln in order to continue operating. One of the core ideas of the University is that it's supposed to be the most expensive guild. So that would be a "no" to buying school supplies with rec points.

Some ideas we have are temporary access sessions to certain areas of the library, or labs, where Elemancers can study and practice to increase their skills, rather than going out into hostile territory and blowing up sentient creatures. They're supposed to be academics, after all!
The lore compels me!
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

Any thoughts on the second part of my idea?
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

An alternate idea would be an easy 'Private Lesson' at the exchange of points, you would gain several ranks within an element, channeling or marksmanship.
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

Single use weapons? Scrolls and the like which are imbued with a particular spell. Like ash cloud or fiery vortex.
Basically items which have more than one element in them and fire appropriately. They don't cost riln because they are the university's primary defensive tools as the elemancers prepare their spells.
Last edited by Isiaa on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

Rather than single use.. Limited use. It could be what a Elemancer uses as a last line of defense. Spells that do not cost Energy to cast..
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

FIREWORKS. Aesthetic cantrips like that.
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

New ideas...

Use Guild Points to attend Lectures from Journeyman and Master Elemancers of different Elemental focuses.

Lecture Types:
>Elemental Mastery - Demonstrates the effects of thri channels of one element and other special abilities that the element can do. (Pyro shield, Pyro Nova, ect). As well as a short bit of information of what kind of foes are weak to that element. You gain a ticker for one element at a time, the ticket is one use only but can be traded.

>Elemental Blending - Demonstrates the effects of mixing elements. This will be five different lectures, one for two each journeyman and a fifth displaying effects one channel of each of the elements. As with 'Elemental Mastery' lectures, it will display combinations of Abilities(Hyro and Aero shield stacking) as well as what they targets these alternate spells might be good for.

>Dueling Instruction and Demonstration - A showing of two Elemental Masters Dueling, what a few tactics are and advice of how to effectively disable your opponent.

>Dueling Grounds Pass - An area where you can duel against up to three NPCs of different difficulties to practice how to Duel in the field with other Elemancers (these should not give you Guild points).
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

The ability to trade in recognition points at a ratio of maybe... 5 to 1, for riln. The premise being, you are doing work for the University, so just like real life you get paid for doing work.
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

[quote=KianTheArcher]The ability to trade in recognition points at a ratio of maybe... 5 to 1, for riln. The premise being, you are doing work for the University, so just like real life you get paid for doing work.[/quote]They already get paid for doing their tasks.
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

Just a random idea. Maybe a "secret" shop that you have to pay recognition to enter. Essentially, it would be a black market type thing that you spend riln in, but in order to actually get in you need to have a high(ish) reputation.

Not really sure what it should sell, exactly. Maybe "experimental wands and staves" that do different things but have potential drawbacks.
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate
Orris

Post by Orris »

[quote=Rias]One idea we've had in mind borrowing books or scrolls from the University library that would grant things like you mentioned - longer study bonuses, or access to an ability you normally wouldn't have on your own (having the reference material immediately on-hand).[/quote]

I was about to suggest something like this but I see it has already been thought of, so instead I'm just bumping the idea. I was also thinking, what if there were a bunch of books in the library that would give you more skillgain than usual (+2 or +5?) but you could only use them once, and they would take a very long time to study (a few minutes?), and you could only study one per day. It would be cool to go to the library to actually study there.

Or we could get more complicated and it would take a lot of writing (I would volunteer) but have the books be readable and include little factoids about elemancy, and after studying it you have to answer a few questions, the answers being hidden in the book somewhere. If you answer them correct you get the extra skillgain. Again they would only work once per character, so you couldn't study and answer the same questions multiple times. This way we'd also get some actual information as we studied so that we can really know more about how elemancy works in the world of CLOK and be more knowledgeable on the subject, instead of just raising numbers in our skill list.
Last edited by Orris on Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
While planning a trip to the haunted galleon with a bunch of people on ESP...
[FROM Vinz (OOC)]: what are the nether called on that pirate ship again?
[TO Vinz (OOC)]: I'm scared to tell you...
[FROM Vinz (OOC)]: DO-IT >:)

Return to “The Elemancers”