Elemancy Troubles

Scholars and masters of the elements of our world.
Orris

Elemancy Troubles

Post by Orris »

Elemancy is literally broken right now IC, so we've been trying to figure out why and how to fix it! I know Levintus and I have tried to do surveys and studies and have sent in our findings to the best of our ability. I don't know if he's gotten any response. I haven't, and I'm lost on what to do next. I think at this point we could at least use a hint from the professors or the headmistress. It's discouraging because I can't use any of my abilities, and that would be okay if there was some idea of where to go to get those back. Being completely without guidance just leads to frustration though. The only things I can think of to do are to do surveys of areas, particularly the types of areas an NPC told us were theorized to be likely to turn up results, to RP studying in the University library which of course will net nothing real unless a GM is watching, and to pray to my character's goddess, Nereia, for guidance. After I do that stuff I mail in my notes, which are nothing real because nothing has been turned up, to the University and hope the professors can perform analysis and maybe give us some kind of clue.

I haven't had much desire to play since this happened and there didn't seem to be any guidance or results. I still want to go on my sailing adventure with everyone sometime, but I really don't want to go and have almost none of my skills and powers available.

So I guess my questions are these: Is there something we're missing that still can be found that we should keep looking for? Do we just need to wait for GMs to progress the situation or can we do anything on our own? Is this a step in phasing out elemancy altogether? If not, can we please at least get a subtle nudge for what to do next? Elemancy is so lacking in detail that I don't really know what to RP for studying the problem and research except to vaguely RP reading books and doing surveys like we do for tasks.
While planning a trip to the haunted galleon with a bunch of people on ESP...
[FROM Vinz (OOC)]: what are the nether called on that pirate ship again?
[TO Vinz (OOC)]: I'm scared to tell you...
[FROM Vinz (OOC)]: DO-IT >:)
Kent

Re: Elemancy Troubles

Post by Kent »

My personal feelings on the subject aside, it does seem cold to have shut down a guild in the manner it has been for this extended amount of time.

It would be like thieves no longer being able to pick or use stealth, or warrior's weapons becoming unusable, or all monks losing all light, etc. for a period of months where it is no longer funny.

I'd say, it's gone on much too long. If the intention was to eliminate the guild, it's worked...please allow Orris and others to select another guild. If not, it's high time these guys got to use their normal guild abilities.
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

I agree here myself. The idea of being forced to quest to regain an entire guilds abilities is certainly an interesting one, and many people fervently did such, but with no direction on what to do from here for months now, it's getting to be old. As Others have said, if this is step one in disbanding elemancers completely, notice would be lovely as well as perhaps something for the old mancers who've had their characters and worked on em for a while, I feel that having those huge skills and working on them so long it would be unfair to simply cross them out and say good luck. Maybe transferring them to different skills in some way? I dunno. If in fact this is still a quest line, some direction is sorely needed, as I think people are really at the end of their ropes after having tried everything they could think of. Had this been a weeklong affair, or even simply monthlong, I'd have loved the idea and the strangeness. But with it dragging on this long it's simply not fun in this case anymore IMO. (Others may differ in opinion, but that's the general consensus I've seen)
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
Orris

Post by Orris »

I also wanted to add that whoever made all the terrible climbs and stuff for the new way into the university, now that we can't reliably aero jump, has a sick sense of humor.
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

Orris wrote:I also wanted to add that whoever made all the terrible climbs and stuff for the new way into the university, now that we can't reliably aero jump, has a sick sense of humor.
Lol. makes sense though, if you had to be shot out of a giant updraft circle to get there in the firstplace, it's gonna be a rigorous climb otherwise
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

It's a bit of a cycle. No one is playing their elemancer because this event is preventing use of elemancy. The event isn't continuing because no one is playing their elemancer. Pretty much the same reason why the Tse Gaiyan guilds are pretty much dead right now.

I don't believe in NPCs hand-holding and feeding information, the intent was to release something for people to discover, but I've only seen one elemancer online in over a month, and that particular elemancer wasn't really involved in the search at all. I don't want to release it just for someone's alt to find it and then they share that information OOCly until an Elemancer finally logs in and pretends to be the one to discover it.

I did take pity on y'all and greatly reduce the probability of an interrupted channel from 50% per second to 15% per second last week though.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Aranon

Post by Aranon »

I'll admit I am part of this cycle. I was dedicated to this character for a long while and even attempted to do research, attend elemancer meetings, plan, post information rewards ALL for the sake of finding out the cause of the disturbance. Nothing came of these efforts and no leads were found, which lead to just feeling burned out.

I would love to continue it but I feel as a group we have run out of ideas, searched every avenue we could think of and found no leads. I know you don't want to hand hold but perhaps provide some kind of idea of what we should be doing? Have you ever played a video game before when you get stuck at a certain part, you look online, you ask friends, you run around in circles for hours on end and eventually you just give up and play something else? I think that is where many of us are now.

If the game is no longer fun to play on a type of character then it makes sense that you will see less of them. It's like playing a kung-fu master who can no longer use kung-fu or a ninja who has lost the ability to hide. Sure this might be fun for a while but once the novelty wears off... what's left?
“Curiosity is like the stomach of a man who only eats the wind.”
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

Personally I'm just happy to see that it is not in fact a step towards removal. thanks Jirato! Now that we know something -can- come of our efforts in certain people will start putting in more.
Orris

Post by Orris »

I get what you mean about NPCs not hand holding, I don't want them to do all the work, but it's frustrating to tell us that elemancy is broken, and to go fix it, without any kind of direction and saying the NPCs won't give us any information or clues. It doesn't have to be NPCs either, maybe tell someone who's RPed studying that they came across a detail that stood out or sounded similar to the current problem. There are hardly any details known about how or why elemancy works, and those are scattered around the BBS, nowhere on the wiki or told to us by our tasks and work in the university within the actual game. We've RPed studying, we've theorized, we've done extensive surveys, we've explored places we thought might have some kind of ties to elemancy or anything magical. None of us can really think of anything else to do! We'll keep trying of course, or at least I will now that I've at least gotten a response that this is still possible, but I have to say it's frustrating depending on dumb blind luck to find something we don't even know we're looking for.
Aranon

Post by Aranon »

Things have been moving along for the elemancers. I suggest you take a gander at the University post board and check your mail.
“Curiosity is like the stomach of a man who only eats the wind.”

Return to “The Elemancers”