Hydromancy spells

Scholars and masters of the elements of our world.
Orris

Hydromancy spells

Post by Orris »

Decided I'd have a separate topic for hydromancy spell ideas, since I hope to have a lot of them. From my previous post:

Along with a plea to keep water as water and not ice, I have a few water-centric spell ideas. I don't have fancy names or descriptions, just ideas of what the effects would be.
  • Something to help with swimming.
  • Something to help keep the rain off you (it's stormy here at the University!)
  • A way to un-drench yourself with hydromancy as well as aeromancy. (again with the storms!)
  • A wall or stationary wave of water to make it harder for enemies to get close enough to attack you, and maybe deflect some projectiles. Approaching enemies could have a chance to get knocked over when trying to push through it.
  • A swirling column of water to keep enemies spinning and out of commission a while, and maybe make them dizzy and nauseous!
While planning a trip to the haunted galleon with a bunch of people on ESP...
[FROM Vinz (OOC)]: what are the nether called on that pirate ship again?
[TO Vinz (OOC)]: I'm scared to tell you...
[FROM Vinz (OOC)]: DO-IT >:)
Orris

Post by Orris »

What about some type of spell that throws dense, pressurized orbs of water at extremely high velocities, using hydromancy to keep the orb as solid as possible until impact? This could allow pure hydromancers to have a basic attack spell. Since it's water, it wouldn't be as strong as something like an earth bolt (geomancy), but it would be better than the lack of pure offensive capabilities hydromancers currently suffer. Came up with this idea after I tried throwing my spear at an enemy and was pleased to see it propelled by water since I was channeling hydromancy at the time, but then the spear was stuck in the enemy and I had no way to get it back, since I had no other offensive options. I could knock it down with a stream of water, but I had to slowly pummel it to death with my fists to get my spear back.

I'm not sure if the physics make sense. All I know is doing a belly flop can hurt, and you can get real hurt hitting water from a great height (cliff diving!).
Orris

Post by Orris »

And I just have to ask for this, even though I feel extremely cheesy using a Harry Potter example: The spell that Dumbledore uses on Voldemort, where he traps Voldemort in a globe of water in the Order of the Phoenix.
Orris

Post by Orris »

Water Lash: Water having more physical form than fire or air but more flexible and easily-manipulated than earth, it could be used as a sort of lash. This could be used to wrap around enemies and yank out their legs from under them, wrap around their necks, or, and this is the main reason I thought of this... wrap around a hurled weapon lodged into an enemy (or off the ground, I guess) and bring it back to the hydromancer's hand.

See? Then I can hurl my spear, and lash it back to my hand afterward so I can throw it again! Or maybe it could be a preemptive spell:

Water Tether. Cast it on a thrown weapon (it would have to be heavier weapons that are thrown straight, like spears, javelins, tridents, and so on so it wouldn't interfere with the spin that other thrown weapons would require) and it makes a temporary water tether, so after you throw the weapon, the tether pulls it back into your hand. It could also be useful if someone disarms your weapon, the tether would yank it back into your hand immediately.
Last edited by Orris on Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Liking these ideas a lot, keep them coming. Water always was my favorite classical element. A pox on you for expanding my to-do list.
The lore compels me!
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

Speaking of pox... Mess around with the water INSIDE your foe. Causing pain and illness.

Return to “The Elemancers”