Lance and Shield. Bug?

Dorn

Lance and Shield. Bug?

Post by Dorn »

You are holding an iron-tipped oak lance in your right hand and an exquisite bronze kite shield in your left hand.

(Changing combat position to Engage)
You urge your bulky black warhorse into charging toward a ghostly varhound keeper!
You fumble with your iron-tipped oak lance, unable to swing it effectively with one hand.
Roundtime: 3 seconds.

That seems... whacky as hell. Any sort of image of a mounted knight with a lance on a horse, guy has a shield as well. I didn't even think to check this myself, until someone else mentioned to me that they couldn't do it.

Is it really intentional that we can't use a shield with a lance?
~Dorn
Uyoku takes a bite of her smelly skunk poop.
Kunren

Re: Lance and Shield. Bug?

Post by Kunren »

Dorn wrote:You are holding an iron-tipped oak lance in your right hand and an exquisite bronze kite shield in your left hand.

You urge your bulky black warhorse into charging toward a ghostly varhound keeper!
You fumble with your iron-tipped oak lance, unable to swing it effectively with one hand.

That seems... whacky as hell. Any sort of image of a mounted knight with a lance on a horse, guy has a shield as well. I didn't even think to check this myself, until someone else mentioned to me that they couldn't do it.

I imagine lances should be hand and a half weapons just so that lance+shield combat could be achieved, but I can't see anyone using a full sized lance with any degree of dexterity one handed.
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

Kunren wrote:
Dorn wrote:You are holding an iron-tipped oak lance in your right hand and an exquisite bronze kite shield in your left hand.

I imagine lances should be hand and a half weapons just so that lance+shield combat could be achieved, but I can't see anyone using a full sized lance with any degree of dexterity one handed.
Pretty much how they were used. One handed. Was more to do with directing the horse, the position of the body and slight movement of the point while charging for the impact more than wielding it as we'd see it. The off-hand was either used for the horse, or a shield. At least by the time of the 13-14th century.
~Dorn
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Yeah, that was probably due to being originally copied from a 2hander weapon template or something. They should definitely be usable with one hand. (Remember, they can only be used on horseback. You can't wield them at all on foot.)
The lore compels me!
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Rias wrote:Yeah, that was probably due to being originally copied from a 2hander weapon template or something. They should definitely be usable with one hand. (Remember, they can only be used on horseback. You can't wield them at all on foot.)
Fixed.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

Awesomesauce.
~Dorn
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

One thing that might need to be done... as hilarious as it is, is something to stop dual-wielding lances. Not that I *really* thing Dorn charging with one in each hand wouldn't just be super awesome.
~Dorn

Return to “Bug Reports”