Ranged Combat Engagement #13154

Elystole

Ranged Combat Engagement #13154

Post by Elystole »

I don't think this changed while I was away, so ranged combat shouldn't be enough to keep you from leaving a room, right? In the log you'll see that I was never at melee range, that they only attacked me with ranged and actually failed to close to melee, but I couldn't leave until I broke out of the combat engagement.
[Asylum, Hallway] (InUr)
This narrow hallway is in complete disrepair. Wallpaper has been torn from the walls and the floor has several holes in it. Each of the doors that line the hallway are barred with thick dark iron. You have trouble seeing in the low light. There is a thin cloud of fog here. The area is completely silent.
Also here: a translucent dark phantasm (floating) and a translucent dark phantasm (floating).
Obvious exits: west, north, south.

EAvd>
east
You can't go that way.

EAvd>
north
a translucent dark phantasm hurls a nebulous inky-black blob at you!
A nebulous inky-black blob surges toward you! (-------) (R:850 vs D:####) Dodged!
a translucent dark phantasm hurls a freezing inky-black blob at you!
A freezing inky-black blob surges toward you! (-------) (R:850 vs D:####) 16 nether damage to the chest!
31 cold damage to the chest!

You are unable to get away from the hostiles engaging you in combat!
Roundtime: 3 seconds.

EWAvd>
north
Wait 2 seconds. Queuing following command: north
(You may clear your command queue at any time)

EWAvd>
You are unable to get away from the hostiles engaging you in combat!
Roundtime: 3 seconds.

north
a translucent dark phantasm hurls a nebulous inky-black blob at you!
A nebulous inky-black blob surges toward you! (-------) (R:850 vs D:####) Dodged!
A translucent dark phantasm moves in toward you, but is unable to get close enough.

look
Wait 2 seconds. Queuing following command: north
(You may clear your command queue at any time)

EWAvd>
[Asylum, Hallway] (InUr)
This narrow hallway is in complete disrepair. Wallpaper has been torn from the walls and the floor has several holes in it. Each of the doors that line the hallway are barred with thick dark iron. You have trouble seeing in the low light. There is a thin cloud of fog here. The area is completely silent.
Also here: a translucent dark phantasm (floating) and a translucent dark phantasm (floating).
Obvious exits: west, north, south.

EWAvd>
You manage to break away from the hostiles engaging you in combat!
You head north.
You overhear the following rumor:
"I saw one of those Shadgard folk come barging into Grif's and shoot one of the patrons on the spot. Shadgard must be a pretty rough place with such outlaws running rampant."
preiman
CLOK Patron

Re: Ranged Combat Engagement #13154

Post by preiman »

Keep in mind that they can cast from melee range. If they ever clawed at you, or you hit them, they could be able to keep you from leaving
"I don't think we're ever going to find out what is going on with these canim, where are they coming from?!"
Kent arrives from the southeast.
Kent hugs you.
say um
You say, "Um."
a Mistral Lake sentry arrives from the east, armor clanking.
Kent heads north.
Elystole

Post by Elystole »

I edited that line out of the log, but I had just walked into the room and was never at melee.
"I saw one of those Shadgard folk come barging into Grif's and shoot one of the patrons on the spot. Shadgard must be a pretty rough place with such outlaws running rampant."
preiman
CLOK Patron

Post by preiman »

Sorry, you did say that and I think I just glanced over it. Yeah not sure why you couldn't leave the room.
"I don't think we're ever going to find out what is going on with these canim, where are they coming from?!"
Kent arrives from the southeast.
Kent hugs you.
say um
You say, "Um."
a Mistral Lake sentry arrives from the east, armor clanking.
Kent heads north.
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

With the way the combat system is presently implemented, if you take any kind of hostile damage, you will need to pass the "break-away" check before moving, regardless of your combat position, until the "under attack" effect wears off (Typically 6 seconds). It's not presently a matter of position at all. I think this misunderstanding comes from the fact that successfully switching to position avoid while under attack clears the effect.

I wouldn't be completely opposed to rewriting it so combat position plays a more important role and give people who's combatpos is 'ranged' a significant advantage in fleeing. But it's just not how it presently works. Certainly something to consider, though there's a lot of different scenarios to consider that would be drastically changed by allowing people (both PCs and critters) in ranged to simply walk away even if they're technically under attack.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Elystole

Post by Elystole »

I didn't know that. Thank you for the clarification.

Return to “Bug Reports”