Is this a bug? Sheathes can be now stolen from

Kent

Is this a bug? Sheathes can be now stolen from

Post by Kent »

In the past, I know that sheaths were a safe place to store your dagger or knife, but a player today told me that is no longer the case, as she has had several knives lost to pickpockets from her sheath.

Was this a change in policy, or a bug?
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Jaster

Re: Is this a bug? Sheathes can be now stolen from

Post by Jaster »

Wondering about this myself.
faylen

Post by faylen »

Likewise, especially as GMs have stated in the past that they consider it poor rp to put knives and the like into bags. It makes it impossible to protect knives, which normally wouldn't be a big deal but I and another Udemi have lost multiple guild specific knives this way.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Weapons sheaths were originally unstealable, but that apparently broke at some point, and now I'm leaning toward feature. If anything, it would be easier to slip a knife out of a sheath than it would be to reach into a pocket or pouch or pack and remove something that way.

Sounds like we need some sheaths that have a little band of leather to snap closed and prevent theft.
The lore compels me!
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

Does the same apply for larger weapons/weapon containers? I'd like to see someone sneakily remove a weapon that weighs 12 lbs.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Nothing larger than "small" can be stolen (at all - this isn't exclusive to weapon containers).
The lore compels me!
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

Rias wrote:Nothing larger than "small" can be stolen (at all - this isn't exclusive to weapon containers).
Yea, we're not gods, people.
faylen

Post by faylen »

My only problem with the idea that it would be easier to steal from a sheath is that, at least in the case of ankle/wrist sheaths, you might have clothes or boots or gloves covering them. Perhaps the belt sheaths this would be true, though.

That said, I'd be happy with a solution making sheaths, including the ankle/wrist ones, closeable. At least then, if I forget to close mine and my knife gets snatched it's my own fault and not something I couldn't have done anything to prevent. Seems like a fair compromise to me. Also, to the above, I'm not really sure how the thief abilities work nor how sheaths work with layering. I know I had leggings on when my knives were stolen out of my ankle sheath, but I can't remember if I had boots on or not so it's possible I just missed a preventative measure.
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

The problem I see with the current system is that your weapon becomes preferentially stolen if you are good about closing your containers (i.e. your sheath is the only remaining container that can be stolen from). It may not matter if you have a junk dagger, but if you have something you don't want to lose it's currently best not to use a sheath as it will be stolen first.

So then, why would I even wear a sheath? I can dilute the chances of someone stealing something nice from me by just carrying 50+ travel rations/firestones, etc. in my pack with that item. It's just as easy to get out and put back, only I can close it as well.
Lun
CLOK Patron

Post by Lun »

What's the situation regarding this? It just made me rather fearful of using wrist/ankle sheaths.
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Just to follow-up on this, if I hadn't taken minor alchemical damage and dropped it, I would have walked away with Drayla's whittling knife the other day. She payed me a decent amount for it too a couple months ago.

Jaster might have walked away with my nethrium katar as well if he could take the cold...
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Not a bug.
The lore compels me!
faylen

Post by faylen »

Not a bug, but still doesn't seem quite right.

In the meantime, my suggestion to others is to catch kiskie or some similar npc and get them to fix your sheathes.
Drayla

Post by Drayla »

Yeah, I think wrist and/or ankle sheaths should have clasps to prevent knives being stolen from them.

Return to “Bug Reports”